3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HIT Inserts Question  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
HIT Inserts Question
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
I got some Beman HIT micro Classics of the classifieds a while back. This is the first time that i've messed with this type of insert.

They seem to be unsupported at the tip of the arrow,and a lot of my field points were hard to get started in them. I just wondered if people had trouble with them breaking or splintering real bad at the tip.

What is the advantage to this type of insert?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HIT Inserts Question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
The advantage is that you can use standard point in a micro diameter shaft. People do complain about mushrooming the tip, I avoid that by using Firenocks inserts. You can also foot the shaft behind the point. As far as sideways tear outs go, that type of hit will destroy any arrow regardless of insert type.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
Don't have Beman shafts, but do use HIT inserts in Easton Axis shafts.  Shouldn't have a problem getting the threads started.  Did you use the installation tool?  The inserts could be imbedded too far.  Or, there may be a little excess glue on the inside of the shaft.  Sometimes, the point thread just doesn't match up with the insert initially.  If you turn the point counterclockwise, you'll feel it seat in the insert.  Then turn it clockwise and the threads will catch so you can screw it all the way.

A hard hit on an immovable object will sometimes mushroom the end of the shaft a little.  Most times, my arrows just bounce off of trees or concrete wall, but the ends have mushroomed a bit on occasion, about 1/8-inch.  This is with hot melt glue.  Probably would be even less likely if the inserts were epoxied in.  Regardless, I don't worry about a little mushrooming.

Other than what BBJ said, I don't think there's any other advantage to the HIT inserts other than perhaps yielding a cleaner look. 

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
I use Gold Tip Accu-Tough inserts in my axis shafts. They're much better than HIT inserts

GCook

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
I have some Easton axis that are that way.  Somewhere.  I disliked them so they got out into the stack of other stuff I spent money on that didn't work out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get them,but if they come up cheap on the classifieds I will. These shafts do fly very well.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
My experience showed the HIT inserts and the arrows that use them don't hold up to the heavy point weights we use in the traditional world. Any kind of angled hit blows them out. You can foot them. Too hard to swap around if you are experimenting. I moved on. Too many other choices with simpler and stringer connections out there.
Tedd

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »
i foot them with alloy shaft. tough as nails.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
Footing works awesome for axis.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »
I think I will foot them. I have a bunch of aluminum shafts laying around from when I was a kid. I'm shooting them today,and they shoot very good. I doubt that has anything to do with the inserts,but they were a really good buy.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
I use 100 gr. brass hit inserts, 250 gr. points, and footings in my axis shafts.  As said before as tough as I need.  They will for a fact, break the off side shoulder on an elk.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 07:01:20 AM »
I use Gold Tip Accu-Tough inserts in my axis shafts. They're much better than HIT inserts

I have been saying the same thing for several years based upon m experiences as well.  But Easton will not get away from the HIT insert and guys don't want to spend a few extra dollars for the GT outserts because the HIT comes with the shafts.  The GoldTip outserts actually have a tiny bit of a lip that comes out over the front edge of the shaft to protect it.  Easton's answer is to tell you to use the BAR.
And I also found that a hard hit can force the HIT insert back into the shaft if the glue was not perfectly applied and hardened.  The result is that the points mushroom the FMJ and crack the Axis shafts.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
Guess it's a matter of how indestructible one wants to make the arrow.  Except for hitting things like concrete walls, I've had no problems with HIT inserts and Axis shafts. And that's with hot melt glue.  Epoxy would hold the insert in place even better on hard hits.

I wasn't aware that the Gold Tip outserts had a slight lip that encompassed the end of the shaft.  That would make the shaft pretty much indestructible. Piqued my interest.  Might have to give them a try.

Right now, I get the same feature by mounting 5/16 adaptors into my broadheads.  When screwed into the arrow, the broadhead ferrule overlaps and tightly encompasses the end of the arrow.  I've never had any kind of failure with this combination on critters.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
You guys have years of experience- but in my limited experience footing is not the end all I percieved.
Had plenty of epoxied arrows break off at the footing and shaft junction. Never had a footed axis mushroom despite hitting a particularly hard stump I have in my garden. Had one break mid shaft after a ground slap but these are good arrows.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
I use the 100 grain brass inserts. I also foot them and use golf shaft epoxy to install both. Hit a piece of rebar one time, bent the field point, split the metal footing but did not damage the shaft. I did break one slapping it off the side of a log. I used an old Doughtry 1917 shaft for footing

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
been using the axis shafts for years, with either 75 or 100 grain inserts depending on bow. I don't bother footing them, yeah, they will mushroom if you're shooting concrete or rocks, but I don't know why anyone would be shooting at either of those anyhow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©