3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass through or not?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass through or not?
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
I totally agree with Terry, Biggie,Shawn and Ray......

... and will have to disagree with Jerry J.....I have personally never seen a "one lung" shot deer that bled out it's nose/mouth...maybe so,but after a lot of personal experience...I've never seen it....I've got pix to prove it in my case.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I believe the double lung more holes crowd has this discussion.
It is acute double pneumothorax more precisely!  Inhalation is relatively low pressure; exhalation requires more pressure (ever hear an asthmatic wheeze, which is due to reduced bronchial space and thus more pressure, when he exhales?) and holes in both lungs and the chest cavity do not accommodate this high pressure happening whatsoever.  CO2 build up and percentage of O2 decreases and, wow, I'm feeling woozy and I'll just fade outtt right about here...  

Of course, this is combined with the massive hemorrhage as the lung tissue has a relatively large volume of blood due to the large surface area of the capillaries within said lung tissue.  This massive hemorrhage and increase in CO2/loss of 02 is what brings about a relatively efficient death.  This can ONLY be created by both lungs and the chest cavity being punctured.  

Keep 'em sharp,
DD
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline nock hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.I have no reason to lie about my deer running 300 yards so for those guys that are doubting me,well that's your opinion and I'm the one that packed him out.My broadheads were sharp enough to shave with so tha puts that out too.As for hunting bears over bait that's against the law in BC and personally think it's wrong anyway.I posted to see what the opinions were not for people to doubt me.
62" 61@27" Bighorn T/D Recurve
    50@27" Bighorn Limbs
62" 59@27" Algoma Packbow Longbow
62" 60@27" Algoma Packer 2pcLongbow
62" 60@27" ACS-CX 3pc Longbow
64" 49@27" ACS-CX Limbs

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
NOTHING runs 300 yards if it's double lunged.
Sorry, but I've got to disagree.  

Several years ago I had a doe ten yards from me, as wired a deer as I've ever seen...snorting, stomping and bouncing around. I put a 3-blade head through the rear lobe of her near lung and out the center of the other one. She went 350 yards before going down.

I swore I'd only gotten one lung until I field dressed her and examined the organs. Both lungs...nice 3-blade cuts. I had to check, recheck and re-recheck the recovery distance with a GPS to believe it was really 350 yards. As far as sharp heads, I can leave a bald strip on my arm with one pass so I'm not sure how much sharper they can get.

Now I'm not saying recovery distances like that are even remotely normal for double lung shots. The next closest I've had was about 120, and I think that's the only other one to go over 100.

Lesson of the day: don't shoot wired deer.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Nah Jason, you cut the other lung with your knife when doing the autopsy.

:-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
In 20+ years of hunting I don't recall ever having a double lunged deer mak it past 50 yards and under 40 was the norm. I think most of the 300 yard runs are due to single lung hits because folks are too high in the trees.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
thats what I was thinkin', Biggie...I bet Jason has one of those three edge knives...isn't that called a Ginsu?????    :bigsmyl:        :biglaugh:

There are always going to be anomole in everything. Animals are in this one respect, like folks- some have a tremendously strong will to live. Some are naturally wired tighter than others. Some give it up quick...all things being equal.

I've seen a thousand whitetail kills..and I've never seen a double lunged deer travel that far.

I do NOT doubt though, it happened..I've seen too many freaky things in the woods to disbelieve nearly anything. That was one tough deer with high oxygen content blood I tell you!!!! Maybe she was a marathoner or a Navy Seal deer.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Most of you have shot many more deer with a bow than I have. I don't want to turn this into a "DEER NOT RECOVERED THREAD" but from my limited experience--Passthrough = recovered deer and No pass through= crapshoot.  Ask yourself of any/all game you never found; how many were passthroughs and how many were not.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't mean to doubt anyone here, but I have to side with the pass trough crowd. I have a couple of ideas about the "hunting show" kills. Most are shot with compounds (that's fine if you like them) using lightweight arrows at extended range for a bow IMHO, often with mechanical broadheads. The combination of light arrow weight, distance, and mechanical heads limit penetration. That often leaves arrows sticking out of deer. I agree that the arrow flagging scares them into running farther. Couple that with the sound most compounds emit and the deer are bound to spook and run farther than one would like.

Quietly slip a sharp broadhead through both lungs, follow a short blood trail, and enjoy fresh backstraps.   :thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
I am thoroughly convinced that a deer with an arrow flagging as he runs will panic and run MUCH harder/farther. Even if he just gains 5 seconds more of life from the adrenilin (sp) rush, how far can a deer run in 5 seconds at top speed?

A pass through is optimal, every time, in my humble opinion.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©