3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NH Moose Tag drawn on first attempt...surprised!  (Read 3574 times)

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
NH Moose Tag drawn on first attempt...surprised!
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
I put in for a NH Moose tag because I had read that it takes lots of accumulated years of bonus points to draw this tag.
But I just drew it the first time NH Zone E2 either sex, tough zone from what I read, and I am looking for advice from more experienced traditional bow hunters. I honestly want to do this hunt with traditional archery equipment even though it's a massive stretch for me. I'm very comfortable outdoors, have climbed most of the NH 4000footers in the winter and am in good shape as far as hiking long distances with a heavy pack. I spend long periods of times backwoods hiking and camping but have been hunting for only 3 years, never guided though or with other hunters. I dont know any other hunters, I have learned what i've learned on my own, but I'm gonna need help on this one.
So these are my main questions:

- Should I hire a guide?
- I shoot 55# at 31" is that enough bow with a good shot? I was gonna use Victory carbon traditional arrows with 175 GR Grizzly broadheads and 80GR inserts. Total arrow weight 603GR with insert and broadhead. Is that a bad choice for Moose?
- My pack is old and sucks, and for this type of trip, especially with the zone I got, Im gonna buy a pack I was thinking EXO MT? (any advise, I know you get what you pay for so I am ok spending on this item)
- Would you recommend a side arm as backup if I get in a jam?
- If I solo hunt, any ideas for packing out help other than me enlisting non hunters... lol
- I have used an ice chest in the back of my truck on past hunts but is there anyplace that would hang and age the meat If I get that crazy lucky.

I have already learned a good bit reading on this site, so thank you in advance for any answers.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: NH Moose Tag drawn on first attempt...surprised!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:45:36 PM »
Congrats on your drawing.  Given your luck on the draw, you probably won't need to hire a guide.  A moose will probably come looking for you to request that you shoot it.   :goldtooth:

Actually given your inexperience hunting, and that it may be a long while before you draw another moose permit, you might want to consider hiring a guide. 

Your set up is fine. 

Not familiar with the brand pack you mention.  Lots of good day packs out there. Probably a good idea to hold off buying one until you determine what you'll be carrying in it. You'll need two packs, a day pack for what you take with you daily, and a frame back pack, which you will need if you kill a moose, but it would stay in camp/the truck until you do. 

Don't know what you would need a side arm for. If you're worried about black bears, you could carry some bear spray. It will work on moose as well. 

If you're by yourself and you do manage to kill a critter, you'll probably need at least five trips to pack it out.  Keep that in mind when you decide how far from the road to hunt.  Of course, if you can line up some friends in advance, you can extend your range.  It will take one person about two days to pack a moose out one mile, and, depending on the weather, you really don't want to leave the meat in the woods longer than that.  Also, if you're alone, study up on the gutless method of breaking down the animal.  That's a big job in itself for one person. 

Check for wild game processing operations, butcher shops and lockers within 50-100 miles of where you'll be hunting.  Call in advance to determine their hours and pricing.  You get the critter to one of them, and they'll cut, package and freeze it for you.  You may need a larger cooler to get it home. 

Good luck.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:50:50 PM by Orion »

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:31:08 PM »
I do hope my luck contunues... I'm gonna give it the best shot I can. I am realizing the total cost of this expidition and wish I had prepared better. That said it is looking like a once in a lifetime trip! Thanks for the set up approval.
All the packs I have looked at seem equally expensive... however I had not thought of doing two packs maybe I could find more affordable options if I did that and meet both needs.
Yeah I am thinking out of respect for the animal I should enlist a guide service. I am too green I think. Hearing that information and knowing the hunting area is 3- 5 miles from a road on the maps I have been using it seems a near impossible task for me.
I will check out the gutless method Ive not heard of it.

Thank you for your insight and taking the time to respond. Very helpful!

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
check the regulations , it says a bow of not less than 50 lbs. at 28 inches, so assuming your bow draws 55at 31and you loose 2 lbs per in on your bow your below 50 lbs. at 28.

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
Thanks kwc, That is a very good point, I will make sure I hit the target weight with the build, I havent even put the bow in the oven yet, still working on the riser. I will set my stack for a 60lb bow and tiller down.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
Congrats on the tag. You will be required to take a NHF&G moose training class before hunting. I believe NH moose must be removed whole from the woods. (gutted only)
Good Luck.

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
isounds like a great hunt, and with a bow you made yourself, good luck,  i though the same as firsherick, about bringing out your moose whole, so i looked at the regulations, it says what you need to check in , but it doesnt say it has to be whole. good question for the fish and game.

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
I would give up my tag if it had to be taken out whole, minimum is 3 miles from a road to the areas with Moose. I will ask the DFG. thanks guys.

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 05:50:46 AM »
Congrats. Keep us posted

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:06:51 AM »
I just met dorchesterarcher two days ago and suggested he post here for advise plus talk with the guys at Green Mountain Traditional Archers.  Thanks for the start of helping...tippit

PS: If you need a bow in 60# range, just let me know.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »
Buy a Powerball lottery ticket before all of your good luck is gone!  I've been applying to the Maine moose lottery for 20+ years with no luck.  I will likely die of old age before I draw.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »
JohnV, I do feel very lucky!! Thanks

tippit, thanks for giving me your old bow bench and I might take you up on that. I would like to borrow one to build a form and copy the limb profile, however I think that would be unwise for this hunt since I might not have time to build some test bows and dial in on the design. I'll call you.

So guys I left a message with the DFG and I will wait to hear back. I think a moose can be quartered because I got the information packet in the mail and it doesn't say anything about it being whole, It even has diagrams on how to cut up the moose into sections. I will still ask though, it would be wrong for me to hunt moose in an area I am unable to get it out of legally which is almost all of E2 if it has to be whole.

A couple more questions:
I have been trying to figure out all the expenses added together for the hunt if I had it guided, it is looking like 5,000 +ish. Has anyone on here paid a guide and do you know if tip is expected like 20% of total hunt cost? Also for meat care is $500 realistic expected cost or more? I know guides are worth their cost if you want the deck even slightly in your favor.

Does anyone know people in NH who have hunted Moose and would be willing to talk to me?

Also thinking I would shoot any Moose I could close the distance on to 20 yards within the 9 available days, but should age or sex be a factor - my tag is ES.

Has anyone killed a moose and know if a 3-5 mile pack out with 3 people is possible? From Orion's advice it seems unethical to shoot a moose that far out if you cant keep the meat from spoiling on the pack out.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 05:55:49 AM »
Congratulations.  I’d rather be lucky than good any day!

I drew that same tag way back in 2003, saw lots of moose and shot a bull on the last day with a borrowed 61# Brackenbury recurve.  The regs then required a min 60# bow and I didn’t own one at the time, but PBS buddy Rick Stillman lent me that bow.  Believe it or not, I was checked by two game wardens at the beginning of my hunt and they had a bow scale to check the draw weight!  I found the most moose in clearcuts that were 3-5 years old and I used the logging roads to access them.  I shot my bull 3 miles in and was able to get him out in pieces.  By then the local check station had closed so I had to check him in down near Manchester, where they put all the meat, head and hide on the scales and collected a tooth.  Later I tanned the hide and boiled the skull myself.

I had lots of offers to help from guides and regular hunters, because I had not designated a subpermitee.  Most of the hunters had a bull or two located and wanted half the moose but they all insisted that I shoot a bull with a rifle, but I declined their offers and instead got help from another PBS buddy David Kretchmar, who knew my unit, for a few days.  Funny story - I posted a question on Bowsite asking if I should try to hunt there with my bow, and all but two responses were “thats a once in a lifetime tag, just use a rifle”; the exceptions were PBSers Terry Receveur and David, which told me a lot about the PBS back then.  I was trying hard for a cow, calf or bull, the moose’s gender didn’t matter to me.  I went up to Manchester in September for a Saturday moose seminar (required) and scouted my unit afterwards - that was very helpful.  I saw several nice bulls chasing cows down in the swamps on that trip and assumed they would still be in those areas during my October hunt.  I wasted the first few days of my actual hunt in the swamps and bogs where I only found old sign.  I found the moose when I moved up to the older clearcuts.  I also picked up a deer and bear tag, and had several good chances at filling both tags during my hunt.  I had snow for half of my hunt and that was very helpful.

I actually did have a rifle in the truck, the night before the final day, really struggled with the decision to stick with my bow or give in and kill a bull with the gun, which would have been easy because By then knew where the moose where at.  My decision to stick with the bow, after hours of thinking it over, even with the likelihood of not filling my tag, was a turning point in my bowhunting career.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Wow, thanks Jeff Holchin, thank you for sharing that information!
I am going to the same Moose seminar in NH for the tag. I am so encouraged hearing your story, it sounds like we were thinking similarly and that helps me feel less crazy about my goal. I am planning on going unguided solo at this point and I will hunt with a 60# at 28" since that is your experience.
How was the 3 mile packout?
How many trips/people/days did it take? Did they give you a hard time on missing the check out date because of shooting him on the last day?
E2 is tough, looks like the last 3 hunters in there ate their tags, you must have hunted hard! I was planning on scouting the swamps first but given your advice i might change tactics, they stood out to me most pouring over the maps.
Now im thinking of starting scouting in wild river wilderness basin, any advice for late season rut Moose habitat in NH?
Thanks again and I will checkout the PBS because I know nothing about them.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:34 AM »
Dorchesterarcher, guides/cooks in camp should be tipped.  A general starting point is 10% of the cost of the hunt.  Increase or decrease the amount based on how well the guides/camp help perform. 
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
Thanks JohnV that is helpful to know, I figured there must be a general rule!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »
They didn’t give me any trouble at the check station, several other hunters came in with whole moose in trailers.
I had to tell them exactly where I killed it and I was told that  a game warden would check out the kill site.
I drove thru the night to Manchester and was waiting in the check station parking lot at dawn, so it was obvious that I killed it the previous day.

Locals had told me on my scouting trip that $100 bill and choice cut of meat would entice a logging crew to use their skidded to haul out a moose.

I also had a game hauler and backpack.  On my lucky morning, while walking in a gated logging road before dawn, a timber scout drove up and asked me
What I planned to do with that old recurve.  He laughed when I said “kill a moose” and laughed again when I said I was prepared to pack it out 3 miles if I had to.  He then told
Me the lock code and where some bulls were hanging out, and wished me luck.  After I had my bull cut up and hanging to cool, I walked out and said a prayer before trying the lock combo.  It worked!  I was able to drive right up to my moose - they don’t call
Me “lucky Jeff” for nothing!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:39:37 PM by Jeff D. Holchin »
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline dorchesterarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
Lucky Jeff, I admire your stamina, I think I would have caved and gotten out the benjamin!
I have been doing alot more reasearch and I am realizing I should be as equally concerned about how to locate a Moose as how to get it out alone. I love your story though! Also your tagged verse Genesis 27:3 is what I am gonna leave open highlighted for my wife next time I hit the woods!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
You do  not have to take out the carcass whole  but you must take out all edible meat. They will usually check the kill site. If you shoot a cow you need to bring out reproductive organs. They also want a tooth/jaw. Be sure you have your name and address on each arrow, even judos...any arrow you bring in the woods. If I were you I would be scouting now. Get to know the natives and don't be afraid to bring a canoe/kayak to cross some of the waterways that would get you into good habitat. If you can  find a clear cut I would be spending a lot of time there.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »
By the way, moose are VERY large. Dressing out the one i killed I found myself up to my waist inside the moose getting the heart/lungs/liver out. Don't use nylon rope, it will stretch. Do bring a strong friend. A come-a-long can go a long ways in helping. Get some game bags to put meat in and several sharp knives and a bone saw. Stay hydrated.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©