3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Tip Protector  (Read 6342 times)

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Tip Protector
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Interested in what everyone else is using. I started using leather tip protectors when I began shooting trad back in 1975. Lately I have heard from other "old timers" that leather retains too much moisture over the course of a hunt (rain, dew, etc) and could cause tip delamination/damage. I like having somthing on the lower limb tip due to the fact when out west, I can utilize my bow as a monopod when glassing standing up. Love to hear your guys and gals thoughts.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Tip Protector
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:16 AM »
Haven't used a tip protector in about 45 years.  I will rest the tip on my boot if the area is rocky, otherwise set it on the ground.  A few scuff marks add character.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
Go to the big box store of choice and in the hardware section look or ask for bolt tread protectors. They come in about 3 sizes 1/4 up to 1/2. I use the 3/8 diameter size and fits great on my bow.

Never had an issue with moisture.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
I've never used tip protectors, not on wood bows, not on glass bows. Never had a need to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
I use the plastic type. I didn’t care for the leather ones. Only bow they wouldn’t work on was a Hill style LB I had. Nothing really worked on that bow for me. I use the plastic one full size on my recurves. For my R/D LB I cut it down and turn it sideways. The antler limb tips keep it in place.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:44:48 AM »
A toddler's binky has worked great on certain applications.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
get the black plastic ones from Black Widow. Cut them in half for longbows, so that they rest just above the sting groove. Drill a hole in the bottom to let the moisture  wick out.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
I don’t use tip protectors on recurves but I do on longbows. The mass of a tip protector on recurves (limbs are thinner and lower mass) seems to affect them...tunning wise and noise. Longbows don’t seem to be adversely affected by  tip protectors (higher mass of the thicker limbs).

Been the same for me over the years with different bows from several companies.

No moisture problems....but if you get soaked to the bone or dunked ...take it off and dry out.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
We use clear baby bottle nipples cut to cover just the the limb tips - bottom and top. We have done this for a couple of decades and there are no scratches on any of our limb tips. We do keep them clean and dry.  We remove and check under them after any encounters with moisture or temperature extremes

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
I've got black plastic protectors on one of my longbows and one of my recurves. The one on the recurve came fitted to the bottom of the limb. I don't know how they did it, but it's on there very tight and if I ever have to change the string I'm going to have to cut it off probably.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
I use bow protectors, because they do just that. Out in the field I rest the bottom limb on the ground a lot, especially elk hunting. I also really like the looks of it on my bows. The ones I use are pretty fancy, made out of deer, shark and giraffe hide, and are really nice. I get them on the unmentionable site from Traditional Archery Bow Protectors. Moisture is not an issue, I check that often.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Bowbenderpa01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
Been using the Kwikee Kwiver type for many, many years in all types of weather.  Always work and never a problem.  When extremely wet, usually pop it off and dry when returning from the trip.

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
The Kwikee Kwiver protectors work well on longbow tips. I use the Saunders on wider recurve tips.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
X2 with the ones from Black Widow and the hole in the bottom.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »
Never use tip protectors as they are prone to hold moisture, especially the rubber ones. I have seen what they can do to the tip.

But to each his own. I use my boot to rest the tip on.

pavan

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
I got a few from American Leathers, they came along with glove orders.  They are a little hard to get on the first time, but they seem to do a good job.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
Plastic dip
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »
Personally I don’t see the point. Kinda like putting a slip cover on a new couch. All your doin is keeping it nice for the next owner.

It’s my bow, and I’m gonna enjoy it now. If the tip gets bumped or banged, it’s not a big deal to give it a little sanding and a quick shot of varnish to seal it back up.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 10:06:24 AM »
The worst thing you can put on a bow . I took one off a customers bow recently and it had water in it , imagine that soaking into the limb tip it will start a delamination .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©