3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bow finger pinch  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Short bow finger pinch
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »
Sometimes you hear complaints of finger pinch on a short bow. If the bow limb is designed properly finger pinch won't be a problem

This is a 54" Shrew Classic Hunter II being drawn to about 32". Note the bow tips are not following the bend of the limb but have enough forward bend giving a longer radius that doesn't crowd the fingers.

www.shrewbows.com

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:14:58 PM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short bow finger pinch
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:00:02 PM »
That's not only a testament to the bows design but how tough it is. I know it can take it but it just makes me cringe. Forget about finger pinch.  :clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

pavan

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
That looks like a left hand bow.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:56:04 PM »
To me it boils down to physics the stress on short limbs and constant long drawing would concern me.

The one exception is a static tip recurve like the RER as an example.  How long do shorter bows?

I’ve heard from a couple bowyers that your actual draw length x 2 would be a comfortable bow length regardless of limb design. I’m in agreement

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
 Shrew bows have a 30-year warranty that is transferrable, even if the bow is sold by the original owner.

www.shrewbows.com
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:14:17 PM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

GCook

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »
I have a 54" Bear that causes me issues with my ring finger drawing.  It already has issues but 58" and 60" bows don't exasperate it so much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »
   My RER Arroyo also has those static limbs Mitch referred about and I have no issues with pinch.
Another very well made bow is my Little Hoots recurve with no noticeable pinch and its 56” but Lee did make some 54” also.
  Many bowers all over the world have developed some nice short bows and it’s really good to have so many bowyers offering short bows now especially for those who love to hunt the ground and use pop up blinds.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »
I draw 28” and my KMag never had finger pinch problems
SWA Spyder

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
I am shooting a Fox Archery High Sierra recurve that is a 56" bow.  Ron King and I discussed my 30 inch draw length and he said he could design the limb wedges to give me a smooth draw out to 31" on that bow.  It draws 64 lbs. at 30 inches smooth as silk and I don't notice any finger-pinch with it at all.  Its going to Montana with me come September and then whitetail hunting in NY, NJ and PA come October and November.

Bet Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
Looks like you are drawing it further than 32”!

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
I never had any issues with finger pinch out of 56 " Elkheart or a 54" Helms deep. I only have a 28" draw length so that may help. But big hands.

Offline algstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
If you notice those limbs are not bending any more than any short recurve limbs bend, with a 30 year warranty and these two men's name behind that bow I would not worry about a failure. also, the string angle to the limb at the nocks looks to be well under 90 degrees even at 32" draw so I doubt stacking would be an issue.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »
I used to shoot a PSE Strato Flight compound in the 90s with fingers.  No pinch.  Shot that thing fine out to 80 yards.

Now my hunting bow is a 50" Browning Cobra.  No pinch.  Can't make those 80-yard shots, though.

I can see stacking as way more of a problem than pinch.  But only drawing 27-28" means I don't really notice.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
Questioning Ron LaClare.....who's design has been copied by the multitudes.....

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Compared to what Ron LaClare has done in bow hunting..... Most who criticize him have only killed time  :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tom M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 06:54:20 PM »
Ouch, I think Mr Geen just Dropped the mic.. My 2 cents I have a 29 inch DL and shoot a 58 inch Toelke whistler . Zero finger pinch . Some bowers have this game down to a science..

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
Questioning Ron LaClare.....who's design has been copied by the multitude
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Compared to what Ron LaClare has done in bow hunting..... Most who criticize him have only killed time  :readit:

Mr LaClare has a wealth of experience which is fantastic There are many pioneers in archery. How many people have been shooting Trad for 40 plus years?  People who build bows which there are many I’m not sure they have copied a concept which has been manufactured for many years.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:25:30 AM by Gator1 »

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 07:01:55 AM »
It is in the design folks. And I think Mr. Ron and a few others have it figured out.
High on Archery.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
I think Shrew longbows are awesome and the Super Shrew lineup is well thought out and tested.  They’ve been around for 22 years.  ‘I’ve heard from.....’ doesn’t carry any weight compared to 22years of production and fifty more years of extensive experience beyond that.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
  Man talk about an endless draw on short bows check out this short bow in this ad 61 years ago!
does anyone remember these from back then?
  Not sure anyone can read the article but claims it can be pulled as far as the arm can reach?
Short bows are surely getting a lot of attention with the ground hunters these days and glad we have bowyers making them . :archer:

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »
That has to be a light weight bow to get that small of a gain per inch. It is scary looking being way past 90 degrees string angle.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©