Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Let's talk Zebra  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk Zebra
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
It seems few other African animals create as much controversy as the taking of a zebra. The similarity of its physical form to a horse is I assume at the root of the majority of the aversion some have to shooting a zebra. It has been my experience that this appearance is where the similarity stops. After 3 trips to Africa it has, in my experience, been one of the wariest, most intelligent, and most difficult to hunt and also one of the best table fare of the game I've had the privilege of trying.

I'd like to hear from others, both those who have taken a zebra: as to their experience, and those who refuse to shoot them: as to why. As always this is not intended to incite arguments but to share thoughts and experiences to help each side see the validity of the other.

I would say that on my first safari I was not interested in taking a zebra, but after being around them and seeing they were far from a their tame look alikes , I changed my mind.

Here after multiple safari's is a picture of my hard won Zebra.

Equipment: ACS-CX Longbow (48# at drawlength), Easton Axis Traditional Arrow + Silver Flame XL 150gr. head ( Total arrow weight 450gr)
Shot distance : 15yards  Recovery : 100-125 yards
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:10:47 PM by Wile E. Coyote »
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk Zebra
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
I agree - I took shot a Zebra in Namibia.  I didn't have plans before the hunt to shoot one, but when I got the chance I sure was not going to pass it up.  The outfitter told me that not many traditional bow hunters got the chance.  As it worked out, I could have shot more later in the week.  It was the first animal I took on the 8 day hunt.  They are NOT a horse and actually are pretty mean when you get time to watch them.  I had mine made into a rug along with my Impala, and Wildebeest.  Everyone that has seen it, likes it better than any of my other rugs, including my grizzly.  I didn't intend on shooting one, but when I got close, I looked at the wife, who was filming for me and told her I wanted a Zebra and she agreed!  If you pass up a shot at a Zebra, you will always be sorry.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
The equipment I used was:  Stumbo 70# recurve with gold tip shafts and 100 grain brass inserts plus 200 grain Rocky Mountain Cuthroat broadheads (single bevel).  For a total of 650 grains.  I had complete pass threw shots on most all animals.  Nothing went over 150 yards.  4 of my 6 animals were heart shots.  I took:  Zebra, Impala, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Wildebeest and Worthog.  Having shoulder mounts of the Kudu and Gemsbuck done here in the States.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
My photos are posted in "I'm Back" in this Dark Continent site.

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »
I enjoyed your story and photos. Congratulations on a Great Safari!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
Been to Africa 4 times. Have seen a lot of zebras. Have not got one close enough to shoot at yet! I will shoot the first one that gives me an opportunity if I get to go back. They are one of the most wariest, easily spooked critters I have ever been around!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
I was told the same thing Bish that I may not get a chance at a Zebra.  As it worked out I had 2-3 groups come in close enough for shots.  After shooting the first one, the outfitter told me I could shoot another one for 1/2 price.  I probably should have taken him up on it.  However, I had to draw the line somewhere as far as taxidermy work and shipping goes.  Really the cost of the hunt is reasonable, it is getting there and the taxidermy and shipping costs that make the hunt expensive.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 02:44:31 PM »
I totally agree : zebra is a smart critter and very difficult. In the place I hunt in Namibia  (low fence) they are really a headache. I finally connected with one this summer but it needed a really long shot (30 yards). Fortunately placement was good and the zebra made 100 yards.

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
Where and who did you hunt with in Namibia?  I also hunted in Namibia with Makalaan Outfitters.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 05:22:10 AM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:31:08 AM by hybridbow hunter »

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 05:26:02 AM »
Double post

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:18 AM »
It is a 12000+ acre farm (Orpa farm) one hour and half east of otjiwarongo close to the waterberg conservancy. It is low fenced area except one neighbor who has a high fenced land. I went there 5 times in a row and feel there like family. They do fair chase hunting with no feeding at all. Only endemic species except black wildebeest they introduced 15 years ago. They hunt leopard, cheetah and brown hyena as well there so predators stimulate the plains game.
So game is roaming a lot through all the properties around and is very healthy . Trophy size is in the fair average and you won’t see more than 10-15 animals a day and most of the time only one shooter in a day coming rather far and not easily broadside at waterholes so closing the deal is rather hard and can be frustrating sometimes but this is the way I like to hunt. And every year I get really nice animals.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:27:28 PM by hybridbow hunter »

Offline bwanajames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:10 PM »
Though zebra wasn't in my package, when I saw them come in, I was so struck by their beauty (and I badly wanted a rug for the wall) that I had to have one. I also remembered the story about a previous bowhunter in camp who tried for 3 weeks to get a zebra, only to take one with a rifle on the last day. I was really lucky. They are wary. Once I stuck mine, they circled the water for days, but wouldn't come in until it was pitch black.

In camp one night, they had kudu and zebra kebobs side by side. Everyone agreed the zebra was better. The only opposition people have is because they look like something they rode as a kid. Had we never thrown a saddle on one, this romantic association wouldn't exist. I have a friend who owns horses. He once told me the reason they are so skittish is because they are a "prey species". That, my friends, means they are food. End of story. 

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:21:12 PM by bwanajames »
James Anderson

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 02:10:08 AM »
I can relate to many of the comments here.  When I first went to Africa, I had no intention or desire to shoot a zebra.  The moment I saw one, however, all that changed.  I realized while looking at this beast, that this was AFRICA.  As much, or more, than any other animal, the zebra typified the reason I came there to hunt.
One late afternoon, I was in an elevated stand at a water hole.  Several zebras came in to 60-70 yards, and just stood there.  It was cool, and I was wearing a bush jacket.  I shifted my bow slightly, and one of my feathers made contact with the sleeve.  That bunch of zebras reacted like I had thrown a grenade at them.  In seconds, I was all alone with a huge cloud of dust.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
I was in Namibia again in June and another long shoot zebra was taken
32 meter shot 120 meter recovery

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
I also shot one at the end of august I hunted two different ranches the one that had Zebra we hunted 3 days when I killed mine vey exciting and it was on the top of my list I also got a warthog two gemsbok and a big Kudu bull .

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 07:05:12 PM »
Congrats.  Sounds like you had a great hunt.  I nearly passed on Zebra as I hadn't planned on shooting one, but when they came into shooting range, I quickly changed my mind and glad I did.  I have had many people question me about shooting Zebra ( they are like a horse, how can you shoot them).  Well they are not like a horse and my outfitter told me most bowhunters never get a chance at them. 
I write for an archery magazine and had my bow tell the story about hunting in Africa.  While in the blind, I raised my bow and it got it's first look at a Zebra.  It began laughing, (what the heck it this, someone painted a horse black and white).  I hope to get back to Namibia before long and make more memories.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 07:08:28 PM »
After I returned from Africa, my outfitter sent my a study that was done in Africa, as to why Zebra's have stripes.  It was very interesting.  Bottom line - the stripes confuse the flies and biting insects.  They can't determine the distance to the animal.  They stood an Zebra and horse close together and the horse was covered by flies, etc. but the Zebra had none on it.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2023, 11:46:09 AM »
It took six trips but finally got it done. Hardest animal to hunt and the best tasting.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 07:17:03 PM »
You guys sure have jogged my memory
This was 27 years ago
Stalking
Me and a few friends were invited/asked to hunt a property and recommend to the outfitter what they should do to attract bow hunters
Happy to comply
This was on my first trip
Rained more than normal that year so activity at waterholes was low
Never would have got him if it weren’t for the fact he was fighting two other Stallions
Over a group of 8 Mares
That and I didn’t hesitate
I was quicker then
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©