3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hang and hunt sticks?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hang and hunt sticks?
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
Good morning,

Looking to venture out of my comfort zone a bit this year and hunt some public land. I've got 3 different areas scouted, with a couple preferential wind directions for each.

May get a new hang on stand, but currently have a Hawk Helium which is ok-I'd really like more leveling capability esp for the platform, but I'm also saving up for binoculars so we'll see.

What I do need and will get before season is a better set of sticks.

I'd like something fairly packable and lightweight, however ease of use and double steps are more important to me.

I'm really considering the Muddy Pro sticks, or the new Hawk Helium. I don't care to be 20+ feet off of the ground, better shot angles and cover for most of my spots being 12-16 so I don't think the height of either stick is a big deal.

I am really intrigued with the rope cam system on the Muddy, although the new Hawk's have that versa button knockoff deal.

Anybody had dealings with either of these products, or know of another type of stick I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hang and hunt sticks?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »
Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks are some of the best IMO
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »
I have to agree with the lone wolf, I’ve been using them for a lot of years , and have recently dropped the cam strap and did the rope conversion, this dropped a little weight and simplified set up a little. The lone wolf sticks like others have a step that can be used on either side of the stick , they are light and nest together well. I use bungee cords to attach them to my stand when packing in to my stand site. If I’m leaving the stand overnight on public land I’ll pull the bottom 2 sections of ladder.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:21:30 PM by Dave Lay »
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
Dave, can you elaborate on the rope conversion option?
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »
I like the reputation of the Lone Wolf's- however until they come out with a double step stick I'm out, I'm sure they are lighter but trying to navigate that in the dark is concerning and I'm not willing to risk it. May look at their stands however!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
I have a set of field n stream sticks with double steps. hangs just like LW sticks. 
 I have a set of both and although a little heavier I like the field n stream .
 Double steps are more akin to climbing a ladder.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »
Are we allowed to post up of websites who sell equipment, theres a guy off another site selling double step style sticks,parts I don't want to get in bother, everyone seems to rate his gear and it looks good,regards wayne

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
I’ve used the lone wolf sticks quite a bit and also Rapid Rails. I’ve sold all my lone wolf sticks cause I had several instances of my boots slipping off the end of the step. They’re also a little close the tree for me. I like the rapid rails for how they set out away from tree and the enclosed step. Haven’t used the Hawk or Muddy but they seem like good products.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
I use  Ameristep Rapid Rails. They are for sure the most climbing friendly set up. They are however bulky, especially if you have to bust brush.  If you have to got far I would reconsider the Lone Wolf sticks. They are light, trim, and with a lineman belt pretty easy to climb.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 11:51:00 AM »
Dave, can you elaborate on the rope conversion option?
Carcajou.. I’m not sure if attaching a link is ok here or not. But do a search of
“Lone wolf rope mod” you replace the cam buckle strap with a single piece of quality I believe 8mm climbing rope.. works very well.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Tom1983

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
Lone wolf!  If you want to try the rope mods, it’s something you can try on the cheap.  I prefer the strap and buckles that come on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Don't know how it is up north but here in Florida you have to lock your stand to the tree or risk it being stolen on public lands.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
Don't know how it is up north but here in Florida you have to lock your stand to the tree or risk it being stolen on public lands.

I would pull my set each sit.

Again, not going to use a single step ladder when there are multiple double step versions available.

Anybody use the Muddy w/rope cam?

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
I've got the Helium Hawk sticks. I had a hip replacement last year and need the double step. Haven't hunted with them yet, but have been practicing with them in the yard. I really like them, they are light, secure, and mount a nice distance off the tree. I also did the rope mod that makes them a bit lighter I suppose, but really just wanted to eliminate the buckle. You can buy the Versa Buttons off Lone Wolf's site. There are a number of video's on YouTube showing how to do it. I've paired them with a Lone Wolf Assault stand and it makes for a nice mobile set up.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
I did some looking and Rapid Rails are apparently no longer being made. That is shocking given how many have used them. It looks like Muddy and Summit still make something similar but not as well thought out. Either look easy to climb though.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
I’ve had success with hawk helium. You can get a 3 pack for under a 100 bucks online.

Easy to hang, but more importantly, have the double step which makes me feel more secure.

Josh

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 08:49:46 PM »
lone wolf sticks and hang on stands are the best in my opinion I spend  a lot of time on state ground hanging hunting and taking the stand and steps when I leave very fast very lite weight safe and also very comfortable

arrow30

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »
I have the heliums, have only used them last year. got a set of the new ones and they are the exact same exept for the versa button and the locking cups for packing together. I think they are the best on the market right now as far as double steps and weight wise. can be had for a good price to. and im thinking of doing the rope mod also.

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
I have a few of the lone wolf stands. I had four of the lone wolf sticks and sold them because I don’t like the single step either. Have been researching replacement options and have it down to the same two you are considering, I’m currently leaning towards the heliums. If you have lots of spare money I’d look at the lone wolf custom gear D’aquisto series stand and sticks, probably the best hang on setup out there. Whatever you get be sure to practice in the yard lots. And don’t give up on stuff too soon. Sometimes it take a dozen or so trips up and down to get used to the equipment and figure out a system.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »
I have the Hawk Helium and quit looking for a better stick the moment I first used them. Light, quiet, packable, double step, very easy to use. I am glad they started making them again.

I have used the Muddy sticks and they are not for me.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©