3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Archer's Bible  (Read 194 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
The Archer's Bible
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
My father had this original copy in his collection and as a boy i use to flip through the pages of the book and day dream.  I now have it in my library and it brings back many fond memories.  

Just as a side note, these are my fathers only broadheads he ever used.  I hope to take a whitetail with them one day too.  

Do any of you have memories like these.  Jack

TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Archer's Bible
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
thats too cool they only cost fifteen times more than that now
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I still have the Archers Bible that I bought in 1972 or 1973. I taught myself how to shoot and hunt from that book. Yes, lots of memories.

Rick
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
I got that book with a Bear "Green Fox" for Christmas in 1969.

That's all the "larnin'" I got until I went to college, where I took archery in PE. I lent the book out, and had to replace it. Couldn't stand not to have a copy.

Killdeer  :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I have a copy inscribed to me by Fred Bear.  A friend of my wife's family used to vacation in in Florida during the winter where she met the Bears.  This friend mentioned me and Fred Bear graciously provided her with an inscribed a copy of his book along with a signed photograph of one of his trophies for me.  Tox Collector
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Jodi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I remember coloring in my Dad's copy. I don't know how many hours I spent flipping through the pages. It dissapeared much like my youth. Frank Scott helped me get a copy about two weeks before he passed. Man did it bring back memories. Jodi
Jodi Morgan

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
That's the edition of the Archer's Bible I'm looking for. I have the second edition with Fred Bear holding a compound bow and aiming with it.

I correctly say: holding and aiming because I don't know if he realy did release the arrow because he obviously didn't like compound bows.

My book of memories is a very cheap pocket book versions edited by the Fred Bear Sports Club with a foreword by Fred Bear: Hunting with the Bow and Arrow by Saxton Pope. It almost falls apart.

When I was at school I started to translate it into German language but anfortunately had stop my efforts because of first passing the exams.
When the  exams were passed the book was already available in a German translated version. But very bad translated, almost word by word.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
I still go through my copy of the book regularly. Fred Bear got me interested in archery 'back in the day', and this book was pretty much my handbook in my initial years of bowhunting. It is a classic.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
That is the book that got me started in archery as a kid. It was lost over the years, so I replaced it. Great book!
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
I still have my copy of Bears' "The Archers Bible".
Mine is a first edition that I bought new in 1968.
Still like to look at it now and then.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Memories, memories, memories. That book hits at the very core of this site. Long live traditional archery.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©