3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Knapping spalls?  (Read 166 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Knapping spalls?
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
I am sorta new to the whole knapping scene. Preforms are getting easier, and I think it is time for me to move up to the next stage. I am supposed to be gettting together with a local knapper for some instruction later this spring, but I want to get a jump on it.Besides, I have used or given away all of my preforms, and I need to break rock. I have virtually loads of normanskill chert all around....finding stuff without freeze fracture is difficult but doable.
Is there any one book that you more experienced knappers recommend that thouroghly cover workig spalls? I have an introductory book that barely glances off that topic.
Thanks!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knapping spalls?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Flintknapping
Making and Understanding Stone Tools

By John C. Whittaker

Is a great book, since you have been knapping already you will be able to follow it.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Jamie, Email Linc about spalling. If I'm not mistaken Normanskill needs to be cooked.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I don't think Normanskill is effected by heat, unless you completely melt the stuff.  ggg

ishi, I'd suggest that you look at a spall as a large, rough preform.  If the edges are thin and sharp,  takes several series of short flakes to bevel and thicken the edge so you can set up platforms for large percussion flakes.  Thin down the bulb, thin in other places, too, and shape it as you go.  In very short order (five minutes, tops) you'll have a preform.  Hope this helps a little...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
Woody, You're right about normanskill I forgot my Chert lesson from Craig Ratzat.

Jamie pm me your addy I'll send you out some real Chert. LOL

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and kind offers.
I "winged it" on some type of flint I had laying around with an antler billet. I have a little more work to do and I think it will be an arrowhead.
Again, thanks to everyone for the replies.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©