3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger pain in bow hand  (Read 874 times)

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger pain in bow hand
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
Over the past month or so I’ve been working on my grip of the bow (based on Asbell’s book). My shooting has definitely improved because I’m no longer torquing the bow, but now I’m getting an aching pain in the index finger of my bow hand. I’m guessing it’s due to the finger being in front of the riser and arresting the forward motion of the bow as it jumps upon release. Is there something weird I might be doing that’s affecting this?

Not sure if it’s related, but I noticed the problem right after I added a quiver and arrows to the bow. Would the extra weight be causing too much stress? Is this something that requires the body to build up to?

For further reference, I’m shooting a 45xx# bow, about 20 arrows per day.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger pain in bow hand
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
Got to be something else. Never heard of a bow causing pain to the fingers of the bow hand.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline TwistedHollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
Hmm I haven’t experienced anything in my fingers but the one bow I shoot causes elbow pain in my bow arm for some reason. So I’d imagine it could cause it if your changing something

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
As others have said, I don't know of anything that should cause a pain in the index finger of your bow hand.  The bow arm elbow, yes, because it absorbs the shock of the bow being shot which can cause tennis elbow.  I suspect it is a touch of arthritis, hopefully transitory, that will go away after a while.  There are several ways to solve your problem so the index finger doesn't have to do anything at all other than stay out of the way.  The first would be to use a bow sling, so the bow sling catches the bow for you rather than your index finger.  Rod Jenkins describes how to make one in Masters of the Bare Bow 3.  The second would be to use your middle finger to catch the bow rather than your index finger.  Perhaps not ideal, but it would allow you to rest your index finger until it gets better.  I suspect it will get better on it's own, and you can probably go back to using it after a while.  I'd bet that it is something other than shooting the bow that bothered your index finger.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

pavan

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »
Forward vibration and/or thrust.  You have a tendon inflamed.  Perhaps with the weight or balance change of the bow quiver is causing you to put more pressure on the bow with your index finger, thus it catches more of the action.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:45:29 PM »
I think Fred recommends a high wrist grip, so high that you're only holding the bow between your thumb and forefinger.  That, in itself, can cause muscle fatigue until you get used to it.  Shouldn't cause problems if you loosely grip the riser, but squeezing it could definitely lead to problems.

So called catching the bow as it recoils at the end of the shot shouldn't cause pain, though if it's a new position/action for your fingers, there may be some muscle fatigue there as well.  If so, they just may be a bit tender until you get used to it.  Could use a wrist sling to find out for sure.  If you use a sling, you don't grip the bow at all; it just rests in the V between your thumb and forefinger and at release, the sling catches the bow.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 01:00:26 AM »
the added weight of the quiver and arrows is causing you to tense up...relax ur hand OR take the quiver off

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I do think it’s probably just a little strain on the muscles as they adjust, or maybe tendon issues. Gonna take a few days rest and then refocus on my grip to see if I can sort it out.
-King

PBS Associate Member

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:00:40 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I do think it’s probably just a little strain on the muscles as they adjust, or maybe tendon issues. Gonna take a few days rest and then refocus on my grip to see if I can sort it out.
You dont have any cervical spine issues you are aware of , do you?
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 05:15:58 PM »

[/quote]
You dont have any cervical spine issues you are aware of , do you?
[/quote]

No, not that I’m aware of (knock on wood).
-King

PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©