3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Java elkheart vs BW Pl  (Read 1083 times)

Offline triumph

• Trad Bowhunter
Java elkheart vs BW Pl
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
Own a BW pl and interested in the Elkheart.
Overall shooting and grips how do they compare. Will be going with the beaver tail, are they compatible.
Thanks
Doug

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Java elkheart vs BW Pl
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »
Haven’t shot a bw longbow in a long time but when I did I did not like the grip. Love the Javaman grip, they are different.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline triumph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »
Comparing the elkheart to the more recent PL longbows by BK with the beaver tail grip.
Thanks

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
The Elkheart will probably be a tad faster and it will be noticeably quieter.   I prefer the grip on it as well.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
I have a 64” PLx and a 60” Falcon. They are both sweet bows. I really like the thumb rest on the Javaman but I still shoot the PL very well. I like how much shorter the Javaman is compared to the BW. Both are great bows and shoot very consistent for me. I don’t notice either being loud. I wish I could post pictures from my phone, I’d love to show the bows. Gregg is an artist and this PL is really sick looking with the copperhead skins
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

Offline triumph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
Thanks all I have ordered the elkheart which will be a while before receiving
I love my plx and just was inquiring regarding the grip on the elkheart.
Time will tell
Thanks all
Doug

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
The Elk' grip conforms to the hand more closely.  The BW grip is more 'generic' if you will.  You made a good choice Triumph.  Though bows are like women, one mans marriage is anothers divorce material  :biglaugh:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
I have shot an elkheart, but have never owned one.. I really like the grip on it! The grip and its mannerisms really remind me of a Thunderchild, but honestly think I prefer the standard grip on the elkheart over the standard TC.. The elkheart grip just pushes my thumb skyward a little more and I like that..

With that being said I think the elkheart is a completely different animal from the PL and the two require a completely different style grip to be shot well. IMO the elkheart/TC style bow is shot more like a recurve (higher wrist) where the PL, while still a hybrid, prefers a more palm deep D/R type grip.

I recently got a 62" PLX with a custom flat back Sturgiss style grip and slight locator.. I wanted to really try palming/open grip a bow and holy hell! right out of the gate I shot this thing better than any of the other beauties I have. The PL just requires the straight out palm push that is just working for me especially with this grip...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©