3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Woodies???  (Read 264 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Woodies???
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »
Guys, what am I missing?

I usually use a Blitzenberger fletcher and have been fletching all my carbon express shafts and at the end I'll just turn the nock and I'm perfect...

Well with woodies, the nock is glued on so the grain is against the shelf, but when I fletch them, the fletching is off... It doesn't line up so the inside feather goes through the "ditch" on the inside of the shelf...

How do I get them to come out right?  

I'm afraid if I glue a nock on after I fletch them, the grain will be in the wrong position and thus weaken the spine...

Any help appriciated....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Woodies???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
I have been fletching wood arrows for a long time and have never had this probelm.  I just glue the knock on,lined up like it is supposed to be, and fletch them (Bitzenberger) and never had a probelm.  I just finished 6 arrows last night, cut em to length and w/190grn heads they flew perfect.  I've nevr had this problem maybe someone a lot more experienced can weigh in.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
Just to let you know, I do 3 fletch at 120degrees.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »
Steve, I know what you're talking about. When I do mine I just put a very small spot of glue by the base of nock and turn it off of parallel to grain by the amount you missed your "ditch" fletsh it up then give nock a twist to break it loose and align the way you like it. If your nocks fit real tight you can do it without the spot of glue but be carefull they don't move or it really screws up your alignment.
Denny

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
If you have a helical fletch wont part of the fletch miss the space anyways.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
Yep, I just wouldn't worry about it myself.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
With a Bitz, your first feather will be your cock feather and the flat side of the dial should be up for 3 fletch.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I just thought about something... Do I need to adjust the setting on the blitzenburger for wood arrows. I have it set up for carbons... Would that bring it into alignment?

Reason I ask, is I use the cock feather as a second anchor (touching the tip of my nose) and need it in the 10 or 11 o'clock position to anchor correctly....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Steve
Yes, you do.  Your carbons are probably quite a bit smaller in diameter than your woodies.  to get things to line up just right, you'll probably have to reagust it so the fletch lays flat and in the center of the shaft.

I have a really old Bitz and a new one.  The newer one does a much better job of aligning the lower hen feather with the valley of the bow shelf.  No matter how I try to adjust the old one, the lower hen feather is turned into the strike plate and the cock feather rubs the outside of the shelf.

Brad

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Ok!  That makes sense!!!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
I have been having to use the spot of glue trick with my jo-jan jig. I was of the assumption that the bitz jigs were adjustable down there and was planning on buying one for that reason. I guess I am wrong?

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Just put a little spot of glue on the outside of nock and arrow, just enough to keep it from slipping when you turn you jig. You can then just twist it off and glue it back on as you like. I do that because I like my nock placement just so, so. Particular maybe but so,so.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Bitzenburger makes different nock indexers for left, right and straight.  I use the left indexer with my left helical clamps and it aligns the cock feather right at 90 degrees out.  I think a straight indexer will roll the cock feather up some.  I probably have an extra if you want to try it.

Yes, you will probably need to adjust the jig for the larger diameter shafts if fletching helical.  Straight or offset might be OK.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©