3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how long is Smooth On good for?  (Read 192 times)

Offline JIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
how long is Smooth On good for?
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »
it's been about a year since i opened the cans and built anything they've been sealed since.still looks good . should i use it or just get some fresh stuff. thanks

Offline JiminTexas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how long is Smooth On good for?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
It's probably good but considering the price of the glue Vs. the cost to replace the parts if it does fail, is it worth the risk?
Younger money, faster whiskey, older women and more horses.....or something like that..

Offline JIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
i knew that, i just needed to hear it.thanks i'll find some less critical uses for it.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
if its been sealed and kept in a controled climit,around 70 degrees,a year is ok,or it has been for me,but i don'y go past that.robert
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I like to use old smooth on for gluing my field points and broadheads on my wood arrows.  Don't worry, they will come off with a little heat.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I posted on here before that an old boss of mine working in the quality department had actually done a test on this for the government for different applications years ago.  Would I be "stealthy" to say what for?  No not really it was in this case for permanent air filter applications but you get the idea.  It was many years!  After it starts to crystalize just reheat the individual cans and stir.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »
How much heat can one applied to the smooth-on before a bond seperates? Friend of mine glued up his first bamboo backed Osage bow and he's needs to straighten it's tips. Thanks-ART B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©