3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Vanes  (Read 3400 times)

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Vanes
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »
Going to order a dozen of these and give them a try. anyone here tried them and what are your thoughts on them?

Bisch

Re: Trad Vanes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
I have not personally tried them, but have a good friend who has. I shot a 3D shoot with him a couple weeks ago, and he said they are great. We shot several rounds, and his arrows with those vanes flew like lasers off the shelf. He did say that they were not as durable as feathers, and that he would continue to shoot feathers for 3D and hunt with the vanes.

Bisch

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
Wasn't there just a thread on this.  Read down a little more ..http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=168292.0
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
sorry about reasking a question didn't see other one my bad

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 11:32:44 PM »
I just fletched up a dozen 3”x 4 fletch last week and they shoot great and fly just like my feathers but they are quieter. They flew great with my broad heads. I really like them.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:48:58 PM »
I was impressed the other day after shooting a fairly weak (but very noticeable) bare shaft and then the same arrow with 4 4" trad vanes.  The fletched arrow flew perfect with a field tip, I didn't try a broadhead.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »
I've got them on my website.
45 cents each with $3 flat rate shipping.
Good to great feedback on flight - many comment on how quiet they are.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »
Didn't mean to imply you were wrong.
 Nothing wrong with asking, was just trying to save time n trouble.
 You good sorry
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »
All good Terry , all good.   Happy huntin' everbody
 By the way, wapirishooter, if you're ever interested in north idaho archery elk in the rut Pm me. 
  Glad to offer info or just shoot the S#!£
 Kevin.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:01:55 AM by kevsuperg »
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »
SteveB...check your email please sir!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
The 4 inch are not 4” long so the are not IBO legal. The 5” are not full 5” either so I take a 4” little chopper and cut them down to 4”. Does a good job.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 09:27:53 PM »
After reading this I bought a pack. They are flying very well for me and one will be in my quiver for sure. They seem to do best with cock feather in on my setup.  I'm shooting a pretty aggressive helical.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
Thanks for the offer Steve of hunting elk! That's awfully nice of you. I hope you didn't think I was being a jerk about you telling me of the other thread, I really hadn't seen it and I to don't like repeat threads.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »
These are all you hear about anymore and would think that they figured out a new way to slice bread!

No hard feelings at all but there is way too much hype about all of this in our community IMO.

I am a younger guy, almost 33, and a gear snob, but I can't get excited about this.. I do shoot skinny carbons (and woodies depending on the bow)with short 4 fletch feathers these days, but really dont see the advantage out to 25-30 yards whether your feathers be soaked or not. if you have a properly tuned arrow it makes not difference.Do you bareshaft? Ok then what's the problem? I personally just dont want to shoot vanes out of a trad bow... To each there own though!

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
These are all you hear about anymore and would think that they figured out a new way to slice bread!

No hard feelings at all but there is way too much hype about all of this in our community IMO.

I am a younger guy, almost 33, and a gear snob, but I can't get excited about this.. I do shoot skinny carbons (and woodies depending on the bow)with short 4 fletch feathers these days, but really dont see the advantage out to 25-30 yards whether your feathers be soaked or not. if you have a properly tuned arrow it makes not difference.Do you bareshaft? Ok then what's the problem? I personally just dont want to shoot vanes out of a trad bow... To each there own though!

Problem with that is the information out there is the opposite of what you stated. Check out tradlab he tested every feather/broadhead combo against tradvane/broadhead combo out of shooting machines. It does matter, soaking wet feathers creates a hinge affect on the back of the shaft because of weight. That intern makes the shaft VERY stiff. Hence making arrow flight very erratic with a broadhead out front. And that causes loss a of energy. Which can cause pour penetration on an animal.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »

Problem with that is the information out there is the opposite of what you stated. Check out tradlab he tested every feather/broadhead combo against tradvane/broadhead combo out of shooting machines. It does matter, soaking wet feathers creates a hinge affect on the back of the shaft because of weight. That intern makes the shaft VERY stiff. Hence making arrow flight very erratic with a broadhead out front. And that causes loss a of energy. Which can cause pour penetration on an animal.

Wasn't trying to cause and argument bud, just trying to point out my personal experience and most of ours that have been hunting trad for an extended period of time... You CAN make a true lethal shot with wet feathers and a well tuned arrow... I get what the Tradlab said... I listen to it too.. But I have killed plenty of pigs with a sopping wet 2016 with (3) 5" feathers and a snuffer on the front that stuck in the ground behind them. 

As I said, I ""personally"" dont want to shoot vanes out of a trad bow but others can do whatever they like. I just dont want newcomers to think that vanes are the new necessity. Yes Paul Schaffer used them, but he was chasing sheep and goats at 12,000 feet, not sitting for a whitetail in October.

To each their own without a doubt! I was just expressing my thoughts of people making way to big a deal of these things haha.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »
Caleb, I have to be honest here.... I have never had erratic flight much less very erratic flight from wet feathers.

Back in 99 I was hunting in New Zealand and it had rained for 3 hours... The Guide challenged me to shoot at a stump at 60 yds..... I took 2 shots of that stump and the Guide commented that he could not believe how well my arrows flew with soaked feathers..... :campfire:

Since then and I have killed many animals with wet feathers....and 5 inch feathers at that .....  :biglaugh:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »
I bought a pack but haven’t got around to using them yet. I got them for the novelty of it. Something new to play with. As for vanes themselves off a Trad bow, off the shelf, well I watched Bill Matlock shoot regular old vanes off his LB back in the late 90’s. Then shoot his feathers and group them with the vanes. Like he said, just requires some tuning.
 Supposedly these new vanes won’t require any special tuning. I do question durability cause they seem real thin. Then agian they seem to be marketed for hunting in wet weather and won’t get the repeated use like for target practice like I am going to use them for.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »
Wasn't trying to cause and argument bud, just trying to point out my personal experience and most of ours that have been hunting trad for an extended period of time...

Hey bud, I wasn’t arguing at all just simply writing down my opinion. There was NO ill intent or malice in me when I typed that.
And to be honest, if you look at the other thread going on about these vanes you will see I agreed with another user on his thoughts. Keep one in the quiver and still hunt with feathers for MY piece of mind.
And I have been shooting a Trad bow since my first longbow at age 8, currently 41.  :archer:
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 08:25:25 PM »
Caleb, I have to be honest here.... I have never had erratic flight much less very erratic flight from wet feathers.

Back in 99 I was hunting in New Zealand and it had rained for 3 hours... The Guide challenged me to shoot at a stump at 60 yds..... I took 2 shots of that stump and the Guide commented that he could not believe how well my arrows flew with soaked feathers..... :campfire:

Since then and I have killed many animals with wet feathers....and 5 inch feathers at that .....  :biglaugh:

I have had some just playing around with wet feathers and treesharks. But I’ve always said it could be my release. After listening to the tradlab findings it makes me think twice about shooting wet 5” feathers.
We’ve gotten along pretty well with feathers for the last couple hundred years and I don’t ever see that changing for the majority. But there will always be the people like Paul Schafer that see the good in plastic vanes for their application. I’m a southeast deer hunter as you know, so to me they are a novelty I’m having fun with. I still have 4-4” and 4-5” fletched feathers on dozens of my arrows. Currently 2 arrows with vanes.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©