3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rabbit Hunting, a cure for winter bla's (pic's)  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rabbit Hunting, a cure for winter bla's (pic's)
« on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
If it wasn't for rabbit hunting and a little ice fishing, I think I'd go to Florida in the winter and play Shuffle Board with the old people..    NOT!!     :banghead:    

I love chasing those cottontails and I've been doing it ever since I got my first Beagle almost fifty years ago. Here's a picture of our group this last weekend. That's me with the snow camo face      :D    

Here's me with my bare face hanging out and my first beagle Trump with our first bow killed rabbit, 1960

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rabbit Hunting, a cure for winter bla's (pic's)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Next to whitetails rabbits are the finest hunting there is.

Been hunting rabbits since I was 12, & I suspect we're near the same age Ron. When those beagles open up it's pure music for the soul. It's something you never get tired of hearing. It ain't always about killin' a bunny  either. But that sure makes the day.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Ron, it looks like you had a ball.  I hope we have as much fun next weekend in Dansville.  That is some good looking snow camo by the way, was wonder who sells that stuff?  Can I get it at Cabelas?

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more.  Here's a picture of my girl on a rabbit hunt a couple of weeks ago.  The picture doesn't show daddy wearing his Long wool hunter shirt!

Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Seems like alot of folks are getting back into bunny hunting.I got away from it for yrs and then got a beagle,now I enjoy it quite a bit even if there is to much snow here right now.Very hard on the dog,s and me LOL but good for the bunnies,they don't even hafta be seen to escape under the snow.

PS most folks here know about your "snow camo" LOL Thanks for sharing
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
There is no finer way to spend a winter day!!

Eric

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
And IMHO, next to whitetails rabbits are the finest EATING there is!!
  :)

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by CMR:

And IMHO, next to whitetails rabbits are the finest EATING there is!!
   :)  [/b]
yes they r!!!!!!
how do u cook them???
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I just use the hind leg quarters.
I marinate them in Italian dressing for about an hour and then slap them on the grill. Right before they're done, spead some Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory BBQ sauce on them.
Serve with a baked potato and ice cold beer.

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
niiiiiiiice!!!!!!
need a new recipe for this weekend!!!
thanks!!!
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
I often saute them in olive oil cept this yr I,ve been savein them to make a dish to pass on the bunny hunt this coming weekend.

I think bunnies taste better than whitetails and are definately more fun to hunt at least IMO anyways
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Soumi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
We'll be out kickin the brush for bunnies this weekend at Meadows camp near 3 Lakes.  Always a good time and lots of good food.  Steve Turay, myself, Magel and the rest of the club should all be there.     Maybe we'll kill something this year, lol.
Mr 8:36  For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
So do you have to do quite a bit of training on beagles to get them to hunt rabbits or are they kinda born with most of it kinda like coon dogs..I need a dog and not really in a position to get a coon hound or two but maybe a beagle for rabbits would be a good choice any opinions??

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
MMMM....wabbit.The other "other" white meat.

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
Mighty fine lookin dogs there Ron. How many beagles u  got? Preacher at our church has been after me to go with him. I know if I do Ill get the bug again and have to have some more dogs. Makes the hair on my neck stand up just talkin about it!!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I went out today and seen one. Unfortunatly it seen me first and kicked it into bunny overdrive.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
Budog56,
All dogs are different, I had two beagles for 6 years. They were givin to me from a freind that was gettin to old for it anymore. One dog hunted like it was the last time she would ever be out huntin, the other would hunt great when she knew one was close (scent). Now I gave one up to a friend and kept one. Rosie hunts slow, methodical, pics everything apart. I can tell if we have bunnies close by watching her, where Nugie would run with her nose to the ground until she found track and start following it. Nugie wouldn't let out one peep until she was on a rabbit, Rosie will bawl real long when she's close and start short bawling when she's on a rabbit. Best advise I can give you for a beagle is get one that seems to be fitting for your style of hunting. Kinda hard when there pups to see but when you go lookin for pups you'll find the one that connects with you. Rosie would lay her life down for me its crazy how she connects with me. Oh yeah one more peice of advice, Let'em ride up front with you, I can't stand putting my dogs in kennels,she always nestles right up beside me and rides. I could go on all night about her. I'll let you go and hope you find what your lookin for.
TGMM

Offline hunter322

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Budog, i live in lincoln nebraska if youre close send me a note . i have two beagles i rabbit hunt with i could maybe even help you find a good pup. or atleast you could see first hand how much fun hunting with beagles is .

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing the story too.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »
Rabbit hunting is what started me hunting to begin with. Dad would take me with him when i was little, they were fun to hunt then and still are now.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©