3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New saddle build  (Read 1379 times)

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
New saddle build
« on: August 28, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
having to travel to hunt with a bow I need a lightweight set up I can travel with, finally settled on a saddle, set up an old singer and knocked up a nice saddle, ready for bow season,regards wayne

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New saddle build
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:00 PM »
Nice work :thumbsup:
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:21:57 AM »
Thanks I am pretty pleased with how it turned out and cost $65 all in so well chuffed, it's strong and light so a winner,regards wayne

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
That is a nice job. So is this a factory harness and you added the saddle part? Does a build along exist?  Cause I have been mulling over a saddle but parting with $200+ has been holding me back but I  alteady have a sewing machine just like that...
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
That is a nice job. So is this a factory harness and you added the saddle part? Does a build along exist?  Cause I have been mulling over a saddle but parting with $200+ has been holding me back but I  alteady have a sewing machine just like that...
Yes the Harness is a factory petzl gym harness, I can do you a full build along with instructions if you like I took loads of pictures and there is a pattern to cut the saddle materials. The harness the only thing I did was remove the leg loops from the harness and fitted webbing for a nicer fit. or if you want a saddle exactly like the kestrel then just buy a cobra buckle but I prefer the climbing harness one the buckle is totally secure and two I like to climb using DRT method and like the loop on the harness for this reason, regards wayne
here's the exact harness

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
I would not ask you to go through the trouble just for me of course. But if there is an interest and you have have the pics already I think you should consider itand see about getting it archived in the diy section.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
That's fine I will do it anyway if it helps people and it is simple just sew slowly and everything comes together, i will get it listed up,regards wayne

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
I'm listening  :wavey: and watching  :saywhat:

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Right here goes I will break it down a bit but to start off, print out the pattern on an A1 printer at 100% to get your top and bottom pattern.

machine set up you want to use 110-size 18 needle and you will want an upholstery thread in polyester and 40 weight most machines will handle upto this use a good quality needle and thread for best results.

Once cut out in paper form lay the pattern out onto your cordura pattern of choice, other materials can be used but I would say 500d cordura at least now I did one set for the outside in camo DPM and one set in brown for the inner.

now match top and bottom panels and along the curved edge, mark a line 1/2" from the curve for your stitch line.
 use a double sided basting tape only in the outer 1/2" line to stick top and bottom, this stops it moving as it will when stitching, you can pin but it's easier with tape, I also taped along the straight edge with masking tape to hold the two panels along that edge.
 The panels look like this before stitching making sure the shiny side is out and cordura face inboard.

stitch on the line for your first stitch and at the ends run back and forth to make strong. once this is finished turn the correct way to do your second stitch as close to the last as possible you will have to fold the hem down to do this second stitch and so it lays correct when together.

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Right here's a pic of the stitch line and where to tape or pin only double sided tape in this area to stop it moving 

and then when all pieces stitched and turned the correct way it will look like this

Then put the inner and outer together trim both pieces to the shape you require and then you can either stitch from top to bottom through both pieces to hold them together or turn the hem and stitch or finish with grosgrain all the way round like this picture.

once the grosgrain is on you can then ad your 50mm seat belt webbing to form the bridge loops and if you start to stitch the webbing from the top part of the saddle in the middle, go all the way to the side and form the loop. now the kestral loops have an adjustable pull strap and the loop is bigger than needed but it can be cinched down, I decided to just have a fixed loop that I preferred and not faff about simple is always better in my opinion.
each loop is 16" and firstly  the 2" webbing is folded over to the middle from each side and stitched down  then wrapped with cordura and finished with 1" webbing on the inner side both of these are 7" in length and the cordura had been folded at each end the wrapped around the red webbing so it looked nice.

you can see the stitch is simple run back and forth at one end then run round half the foots width from the edge and finish with the same back and forth at the other end.
Now i chose to pin the webbing round the saddle and then mark the loops and do off job, I think it is easier to do it on the saddle as you go. once you start stitching and you come back around to the bottom you need to stop and loop over the 2" webbing with a 1" webbing for the leg straps which is 56" overall but could be shorter, I just chose to add extra to cut later on.

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:02:28 PM by wayne rollinson »

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 03:17:11 PM »
here it is fitted,plenty of room for extra gear and clothing for all weather regards wayne

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
Nice. Thanks for the step by step. I will put one together, assuming I don't get washed away by the hurricane.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 05:04:07 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©