3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw length question  (Read 1272 times)

Offline hessian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Draw length question
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »
Hopefully you guys can help clear this up for me. I’m looking to buy a custom bow and I know I’ll be asked for my draw length. I’m attempting to determine my draw length and have completed two measurements: wingspan divided by 2.5 and then measuring the arrow at full draw (from back of the bow to the inside of the nock. As per the wingspan measurements my draw is 28.5”
But as per the arrow length it is 26.5. Any insight? Thank you for your time

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »
I take it you don’t have very much experience with traditional bows and arrows?  The reason I ask that is because it is normal for draw length to change, usually increase as one learns to shoot the bow and develop good form.  Even for more experienced archers, it is normal for draw length to increase an inch after attending Rod Jenkins’ class, and learning better alignment and back tension.  The correct way to measure draw length is as you state: valley of the nock to the back of the bow (the back of the bow being the side facing the target).  As you learn to shoot the bow you will naturally want to draw more weight than you did at first, and increasing your draw length by an inch or so does this automatically.  Unless you’re sure you’re using good alignment and back tension, I would add a little to your measurement.  It wouldn’t surprise me if you ended up with a 27.5-28” draw length after a while.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
If you cannot find a bow shop with a graduated arrow shaft it's easy enough to mark one up yourself. Then with a bow that you shoot comfortably and someone observing from your side, come to a comfortable full draw. A few observations is not a bad idea. I have belonged to a club with a number of members and have shot a fair bit of 3d competitions. I have noticed that many shooters think their draw length is longer than it actually is. 

Offline hessian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:50:10 PM »
Thank you both for your input. Yes, I am very new to traditional archery and loving the journey. This site has been so great thus far. Thanks again

arrow30

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
put a clothes pin on the arrow and draw back a few times , the clothes pin will hold your draw length so you can measure it.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
put a clothes pin on the arrow and draw back a few times , the clothes pin will hold your draw length so you can measure it.
2X ^^^^^^
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »
"Wingspan" divided by 2.5 produces an arrow 1/2" short of what I shoot.  I'm 6'3" and use a 30-1/2" BOP shaft to give me gloved finger clearance on my risers (about 3/4" "extra" shaft length for the head taper).

I agree with the clothespin test.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:13:10 AM »
My suggestion would be to find the draw length where you are lined up correctly.  That is, your drawing arm is in a straight line with the arrow and you have engaged your back muscles as opposed to arm muscles in holding.   I thought I had a 28" draw length for years, but when I began working with Jim Casto on his target panic program, I realized I was stopping short of that set-up.  When setting up correctly, I found that I have a 30 1/2" draw.  That was after lots of years of bow shooting too.  I really like the newer draw set-up. As far as I'm concerned, that is the only way to find your best draw length--the one that has you set up properly for good back tension.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »

Great suggestion!!  :clapper:
I have always struggled when doing this myself and never though of a clothes pin.  :banghead:
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
So I am assuming the reason for needing to know your draw length is relative to how long or short of a bow you intend to order.
That said...58" min. and 60" should be nice and smoother drawing.
What are you shooting now?
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

pavan

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
So you have a 70" wingspan and are probably about 5'10".  The the ASL longbow form that would put you in the 26 to 26.5 draw range.  Recurve maybe 27" with Fed Bear posture.  Compound or light weight target bow, 28 with straight target form. Shoulder position can have a lot to do with final draw length. Bow arm shoulder scrunched up and in, open shoulders facing more to the target, and head and neck position as well, goose necking can cause a two inch loss.  it all depends on what form and style you shoot.  Good form does not necessarily mean as absolutely far as you can draw.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:38:39 PM by pavan »

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 12:24:36 AM »
The amo standard version of draw length is measured to the throat of the grip at full draw and then add a standardized 1.75".  The way I measure myself or someone else is I stick a piece of masking tape on my sight window a mark it directly above the throat of the grip with a small  pencil mark.  I then have someone mark my arrow even with the tape mark when I am at full draw.  I do this four or five times to be sure I'm reaching the same draw each time. I then add the 1.75" and I have my true amo draw length.  Coincidentally I draw 29" to the throat of the grip.  This gives me a 30.75" amo draw length, however my Tall Tines has a thicker riser than some bows and I need 31.25" for the arrows to clear the riser. 

This is the way a production bow like a Bear, Howatt, Black Widow or most experienced bowyers measure it.

"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
3x Arrow30, easy when your by yourself. Also if you have someone with you they can mark the arrow when you draw.

pavan

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 12:40:24 PM »
Many times when new people blank draw to check draw length, it will be longer than they would actually use when shooting.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
"Many times when new people blank draw to check draw length, it will be longer than they would actually use when shooting."
True.

This thread got me thinking; haven't checked my draw in a few years, and my form has changed some, also shooting a different bow. Was thinking I'm still close to 27". Wingspan measuring put me at 28.4". Several draws with a clothespin, measuring myself to avoid what Pavan said above (though I'm not a beginner at this point)... an honest 26".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©