3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple turkey calls  (Read 311 times)

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple turkey calls
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
First off I have to thank Bernie! I recieved a gift wingbone call from him a couple days ago and it is AWESOME!! It took a little bit to get used to as I have never used one but I am finally starting to make noises that are similar to a yelp...that or a walrus mating call! LOL

I also made up another box call. I used the same paddle off another that I made awhile back. The box that I made on the other was made entirely of wenge and it didnt give a good sound so I tried another wood combo. On this one I used Red cedar sides with Canary wood front, back and base. This one sounds alot better. The wenge on the other was just way too deep sounding. This one still doesn't sound perfect but alot better.

Are there any tips you turkey call makers can give about the construction of box calls that are essential for a good sound? I just looked at pictures and made mine so I am sure that there are some things I need to do that I cant see from a pic.

I'm hoping to head out this week and try and use these two to draw in a turkey and get my first longbow turkey. I had them all over me two weeks ago but I haven't been able to go since then.

Here are a couple pics. I still need to countersink the screw and dress it up with a brass screw.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple turkey calls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Very nice Work!!!  Love the look of the Cedar
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
You are certainly welcome (and deserving), Lewis. A beautiful Box call - I love the cedar and the canary wood (I got to see that part better than you guys cause Lewis very kindly sent me a couple pieces of the Canary Wood - purty stuff!)

Chalk your box call well on the top edges of the side panels, Lewis and good luck on the hunt with both calls.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BKA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Looks good Lewis, I just started making boxcalls this year myself. Beautiful wood your useing.
I can say that the degree of the side sound board and the raidus on it's top edge seam to make the most difference in the sound quality for me. If you get that down pat then the pitch will vary from wood type to wood type, but the  sound will be good.
Can't tell from the pic angle but the sides look a little flat on top, if so you might put more curve in them and that helps. Here's one I made so you can see what I'm trying to say. Other than that IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Brian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Love the looks of that call Brian! Nice artistry for sure.

I am going to play aroud with this one and alter some things and see what happens.

Offline BKA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks Lewis, One more thing I noticed.
Your paddle looks narrow. Most box paddles are wider than the body. They rest on both side boards with no gap showing down the side.
Just a observation, and I'm no expert. There are some guys on here that really know boxcall building and I am sure they will help if you need any.
Keep tinkering around with it,you just might come up with the next big thing in boxcalls.

Brian

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Lewis,You are gifted Brother. You should build a longbow with matching knife and box call and sell them as a package.RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks RC, its all in the right tools. Without them I am useless! LOL

And I have seen your bows so I know you have a boatload of giftedness too!

When we goin huntin?? Are you going to Chickasawhatchee??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©