3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening a woodsman PLUS Pyramid  (Read 4947 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening a woodsman PLUS Pyramid
« on: August 30, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »
I can grab a file and a flip flop and get my snuffers stupid sharp. Hair popping just like the videos. These woodsmans though. I can get the back 1/2 inch sharp but cant get the rest. I have hitem hard with the file but I cant get them to do what they are supposed to do? I am going bonkers and really just wandering how much file work these things take? I have a 12 inch file and I am pushing these the way an arrow would go. I am about to trade these for anything else if I can figure them out. They fly perfect and if I could getem sharp would love for them to be my go to this year.

I have been pushing them along the file till i get a fold  then less strokes and pressure. Then I putem on my tri stone and repeat. Back ends are sharp as i need but I just cant get the rest. Any Advice?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening a woodsman
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »
You are holding the  head to far back shift more toward the point. About the middle.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:49:59 PM »
yea that makes sense. I will hitem again in the am.
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
You can level out the bevels faster if you have access to a belt sander.

But, Charlie is correct if you are not applying equal pressure.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »
I use a sharpie to mark out the edge then go to work using even strokes on each side using the file. Holding in the middle of the broadhead with moderate pressure letting the file do the work. As the edges become even I then move to a diamond stone again with the same number of strokes per side, as they get sharp the pressure gets less, at the end I am just hold the head enough to slide it across the stone, then I move to a ceramic rod.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:13:11 AM by Broken Arrows »
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
I was just sharpening some yesterday but I do not sharpen them with a file. The reason the take so long to sharpen is that the do not come with a flat edge out of the pack. Color the edge with a permantent marker so that you can check the progress. Then take your bench stone and start hogging off some material. Using the weight of your hand grab the blade in the center and do 10 strokes per side until you have done all three sides, by that I mean 10 continuous strokes then roll to the next edge. After the first set turn the head 180 degrees and do it again to guarantee you are getting even pressure. When all of the marker is gone you will have a flat sharp edge and you can hone it however you want.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
From midway file flat against two blades sideways slightly forward to tip - 5 strokes flip 5 strokes flip 5 strokes flip - then leave it front half is done.

Now sharpen the back half on files mounted on an angle - pushing forward - files cuttingtowards the tail end. 5 strokes flip 5 strokes flip 5 strokes flip.

Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

GCook

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
I have some and was never satisfied with how they sharpen.  To me if a head comes to me butter knife dull and I have to use a file to get a basic edge on it then it is a poor product.  Too many good heads out there that come sharp and are easy to get scary sharp. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Cook.,....luckily some of us know how to sharpen.  Back before the instant gratification days all heads needed sharpening.....a skill that seems to be getting lost to the throw away generation.  Sorry to be blunt, but the guys that came up with this hear have killed more animals than you will ever dream of.

Again I'm sorry, but I got speak my mind, I really grow tired of the laziness, lack of effort mentality.  To trash a head made by men that truly worked for their rewards just busts my chops.

TRADITIONALLY WE SHARPENED HEADS!!!!

The Wensel Woodsman ROCKS!!!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
I ain't trashing the head. I thinks it's good and I'm close to having the edge I need. Before these i mainly use razor heads and snuffers.  Some how I think your aggression is not at me?

Any how taking the head off and getting more pressure on the middle helped a lot. I have half the head sharpish and doubt a hog would know the difference. A better stone is in order as mine is old and warped which is playing havoc with the three blade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it deer season yet?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
No....I didn't say cookie....I answered you earlier....any other help you need from me I'll be glad to pass along.  The fact that you ask shows you are trying to learn a skill instead of having something handed to you.  And its not aggression...its disdain.

I've killed from bunnies to buffys with the WW....plenty of hogs in between....I also pyramid the tip.  If you need help with that...just hollar.

Be glad you have Charlie and Cory posting on this thread....that speaks volumes.  Not sure many know the depth of their words.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Cookie... sounds like you are on track. One thing I like to do is when I think I'm done I reverse the direction I'm pulling/pushing the head for just a couple of light strokes. IE... if pushing the head into the file or stone do a couple of finishing strokes pulling the head.

I'm glad to hear you are making good progress. And no, I don't think Terry was thinking of you with what he wrote. You show exactly the determination to get it right that a lot of us old guys admire.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
One thing I do is I do a countdown. I start with 10 stokes per side then 9, then8, 7, ect... then change grits/stones or whatever and start again.  When I complete the process to my final grit I’ll do a single stroke on each side for multiple passes. I also gradually get lighter and lighter with each stage. Most people don’t have the patience to get a good sharp head and give up after a couple strokes or attempts. I haven’t found a head yet that can’t be sharpened, you just gotta figure out the best process for you!
Hope this helps.
Keep going, you got this!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »
So I gave up completely on my worn out stone as it seemed to do me no good. It made the last .5 inch great but nothing else. I think it's time for a new stone. Not wanting to quit i filed with 12, 10, 8 etc from y'alls suggestion. Then single swiped its several sets with very little to no pressure. Grabbed my arm guard and rubbed the heads down. Result is over half the head will shave. That's good enough for now as due to its design I feel it will cut very clean on game.   I plan to get a new stone and see if I can get more edge that way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it deer season yet?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 06:34:21 PM »
Cookie you can send them to me and I'll level the bevels on my belt sander and ship them back to you  asap.

I've done this before for people and I'll be glad to do it again..... Just let me know.

,.. And I will Pyramid the tips for you as well.

Cook.... You best put down the shovel.... Accusing me and multitudes of others for using what you can't sharpen you declare inferior products that have decades of a reputation they stand on won't be tolerated here.   Wensels, Jack Zwickey, Fred Bear, Howard Hill....all shipped heads that needed to be sharpened to a hunting level.

I noticed you re-directed your comment away from sharpening to something else.. ...

Nice try at deflection but it wont-work. You've already let it be known that anything that does that come hunting sharp to you is inferior. So I stand by my previous comments as accurate. 

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
Sounds like just what they said. Uneven pressure. I swear there used to be a video of Charlie sharpening one? Or maybe it was snuffers? That’s where I first learned how to sharpen them. Used a sharpie to check the edge. Pyramided the tips like suggested, too.  First heads I used when I started in ‘05. Had those and Zwickey Eskimos. The woodsmans worked great on the deer I took.  I haven’t used them since I last used wood arrows though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
I don't post much, but I read.

Thanks for keeping it Traditional at Tradgang. I think I'll just leave it at that.  :campfire:

Offline SwampRabbit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »
Sharpening a broadhead is an important skill to have. Period.

But just like skinning a hog, there are several ways to to do it. While there are good ways and bad ways... there are lazy ways for sure (paying somebody else to do it every time.)

At the end of the day, sharpening techniques and processes differ and some heads are good for some methods and not so good for others. In alot of cases, the tools and process are head dependant... and if you are not good at a particular method, you could try a different way, and maybe with a different head.

But I agree... just because one approach doesnt work on a specific head, that doesnt make that head junk. It just means you lack the skill to sharpen it... and there isnt anything wrong with that.

There are several heads I stink at sharpening and several I am good at. None of them come to me razor sharp that didnt need at least a touch up. The only heads that have come out of a box sharp are those flimsy razor blade heads that you resharpen with your credit card.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 09:54:26 PM »
For awhile I really couldn't figure out why so many people have a problem sharpening an edged tool. I own a single medium/ fine AG Russell bench stone and I use this on my axe, knives, German Kinetics Silver Flames Zwickeys, Woodsmans, Simmons, etc and it matters not. No special methods and no guides. There are only two tips you need. One is you must only use the the weight of your blade or hand for pressure, bearing down will not make the work any faster. Second you must buy a quality stone. That is a quarried natural stone, dmt diamond, or KME ceramic. Nothing else will do and it will cost you some doughage. A $5 reconstuted stone is more valuable for removing lime stains of a toilet.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »
Wensel heads are my favorite BH. They are devastating ,and fly great. Txcookie the only way i can get them razor sharp is to mark the edges with a sharpie and use a 12" file to remove all the marker from front till back. This will take a little elbow grease on a new head, but i swear i enjoy it.  then count down ad critter getter said. An  awesome offer from Terry , by the way!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©