3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening a woodsman PLUS Pyramid  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening a woodsman
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »
I’m no expert but Terrys belt sander offer is outstanding

I’ve used a hand held belt sander upside doen with very very light pressure it really sets the bevel then light strokes on flat stones.

Very easy to sharpen in my opinion

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 12:25:47 AM »
This thread is reminding me of a Zwicky review I saw a few years ago.
The author was complaining about the burr that was on the blades and the weight difference was something like 3 grains.
He also said they seemed to work good after he fixed them.
Terry is right, we have become a lazy instant ready to use society.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 06:34:44 AM »
Cook
I’ve just started shooting 3 blade heads this year. I was challenged  in sharpening 3 bladed broadheads. I watched Charlie’s videos, even spoke with him on the phone about his technique, and just like that, I got them sharp.
Sharpening broadheads has always been part of the traditional journey for me, it’s part of the hunt. I don’t think it’s fair of you to call reputable broadheads with years of proven track records “inferior “ because of the lack of knowledge you currently have in sharpening them.
If your still having difficulties, i would take Terry up on his generous offer.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
I don't think tx cookie said that.

I had some old stones that weren't flat. I bought some kme stones a corse and a fine.

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
I started using WWs last season and was very impressed.  Couple questions, on a belt sander what grit belt are you using and tell me a bit more about the pyramid point and how to accomplish that, if you don't mind.  Not that I had any issue with the factory point at all. 
thanks
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »
I just tried an alternate method that worked well. I used a 150 grit piece of sand paper on the counter top. It took 2 strips to level the factory edge and it will stick in my nail afterward. This method will eventually surpass the cost of quality sharpening stones but it is effective and faster. It took about 30 minutes.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
X2 on the sandpaper. Finish with 600 grit.
High on Archery.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
Cookie:
Feel free to PM me and I will walk you through the EASY & INEXPENSIVE process I use to get all three-blades, including the Woodsman, razor sharp in just a few minutes.
It's pretty easy, but just not all that obvious.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 11:30:15 AM »
200 grit...

I'll get back on the pyramiding later....

BigJohns idea might work well...rougher grit with less speed should equal out.

Once those bevels get level, it a cinch to put a quality hunting edge and touch up.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 04:11:46 PM »
Well a higher grit will definitely go faster, I just had 150 on my work bench. Working with a lower grit will give you some room for error though. The power sander would be the best, I was operating on the assumption he had to sharpen them manually.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »
So I have an edge fred bear would love. Tj I love the offer but kinda takes the fun out of it when someone does the hard part for you but again thanks for the offer.

I'm low on hair on my thigh and have always been a fan of a rougher edge. I'm excited that I can get what I want with just a file and arm guard. I'm gonna work these just like snuffer it just seems to take a little more time.

I can get them sharper I just need a better stone which I will fix next pay day. As for now they cut, sharp is sharp so I'm gtg for a pig or two next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it deer season yet?

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 02:02:59 PM »
I started shooting woodsmans last year once I learned the right way to sharpen them its very easy to get them very sharp I probably wont hunt with another head after using woodsmans last year they are deadly and they leave a lot of blood on the ground

GCook

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »
Well a higher grit will definitely go faster, I just had 150 on my work bench. Working with a lower grit will give you some room for error though. The power sander would be the best, I was operating on the assumption he had to sharpen them manually.
Yes me as well.  Used a file.  A lot.  Then a diamond and Arkansas stones. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
From the guys who made some well known 3 blades : 

Black the cutting edges, put the head on a shaft, grind 2 blades at a time on a fine 6" grinding wheel,
[ LIGHTLY] , keep turning and equal number of strokes on each pair of blades til the black is gone.

I like to go from back of blade to point to keep the point even, just pull the arrow in a straight line.

Then a fine file to the now hollow ground edge, again 2 blades at a time. Light strokes, all you need to do is clean up the edge slightly.

I can sharpen my VPA 200s or Woodsman blades in about 3 minutes start to finish.

May not be for everyone but I won't sharpen any other way now....:)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

pavan

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »
Around here years back, we put three blade heads in a bench vice and used two hands on a 12" file to get even pressure.  the back blade in the vice and sharpen the two up facing sides at a time. The guys here that use the Woodsmans still do it that way to get an initial edge.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
Just had a brainstorm (or maybe a brain fart, I'm not sure). When I go to archery shoots it is common to see somebody giving a shooting clinic, bow build or some other skill development. It would be nice to attend a seminar that deals with various ways to sharpen broadheads. This might include file sharpening, stones with their related systems, power tools etc. It would be helpful as well as fun. I got to get better - I'm tired of taking new heads and grinding them into needles. That lack of skill is one of the reasons I have never tried the three sided heads.
Sam

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
Sam,
I can talk you through file sharpening. 3-blade broad heads are especially easy to get shaving sharp if you know the tricks of using the right file in the right way. Let me know if I can be of help.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
For those interested here's a link to the tutorial I did a while back. It's in the "How To's"

https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108924.0
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »
Many have mentioned it, but using a sharpie is what got me where I needed to be.  Once I could literally see what was happening (because of the sharpie), I gained a better understanding of what was needed.  Since then I've never had an issue getting the WW wicked sharp with files, crock stick, and some leather.  I too pyramid the tips and they become VERY durable.  I love the profile and the look! 

My handle is J. Cook.... Not to be confused with any other "Cook" in this thread.   :biglaugh:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©