3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old 'Blue' Zwickeys?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Old 'Blue' Zwickeys?
« on: August 31, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
I think I have 3 still from back in the day....80s.

I have one I retired in the 90s and took it out of retirement to TX and killed a hog with it.  Thought I was not going to find that one, but I did and immediately put it back in retirement for good.  That head killed 14 deer and one hog.

Anyone else got any 'Old Blue' stories?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old 'Blue' Zwickeys?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
Terry, I used blue 2 blade deltas when I first started bow hunting as a kid.  They were dads and he and my brother shot 4 blade blue deltas.  Dad still has all of them.  I was the designated sharpener for us all as dad had one of those sharpeners with two files attached to a piece of wood that was beveled out at the angle you just needed to sharpen 2 blade heads.  Worked like a champ.  Worked great, the good old days! 

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
That brings back memories. I’m pretty sure I had blue 3 blade heads? I’m gonna have to go through my old stuff and see if I can locate them.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
I'm sure I have a half dozen or so blue Delta 2-blade broadheads from the 1980s in my older gear box. They are very sturdy heads that work well.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 06:32:49 PM »
I remember when Jack Zwickey brought out the blue blades, he said he just wanted something different
same head different paint, people hated them, for what ever reasons, went back and found the original recipe for green... bam...awfull close to John DEERE GREEN..

Jack was an interesting man, world class down hill skier, met him at the shot show in vegas 1986, we talked hunting and his broadheads, several months later I got a big box of zwickey deltas in the mail with a simple note these are rejects use them if you will... I did.
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
Ha, I shot my first traditional buck with the blue zwickey on a blue Easton x7 1914 shaft.... Beautiful 8pt buck... I’ll see if I have pics.,1987... :goldtooth:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »
From a homemade “crotch stand” 25ft up with black jeans, green checkered logger flannel, and a black widow HS60 set at 57lbs... Such a good memory.... :campfire:

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »
I was living in Arizona in the '80's and '90's, and had blue Zwickeys.  I still have 3.  For whatever reason, I had one beat up blue Zwickey I considered my "javelina special".  The nose was very rounded from filing as needed to get the point back into fair shape after a rough life.  For sure I took at least 5 javelina with that particular head. It was lost in the hills above the Blue River near XXX Cabin (which is semi-famous as the location of one of the last grizzlies in AZ.  The bear severly mauled the owner of that cabin, who never regained health afterwards and is buried near the cabin)

"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

pavan

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 05:46:40 AM »
I had a half dozen Blue Deltas on 2018s.  Shot them out of a Super Kodiak and my Schulz.  After about three years of file resharpening they got be evil looking things.  Then i made one of those one in a life time shots at a nice buck with the SuperK. That head got retired, until my wife took it off of my wall box where I keep the 'strings and sealing wax and and other fancy stuff'. It is now on one of her arrows. 

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
I think they were out for two years. Went back to the green color because hunters didn't like the blue. I have a few blue ones also in a box some where in my mess.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 07:18:02 AM »
I have quite a few in the blue color. Both 2 and 4 blades.  Funny how I like the blue color better then the green. As they say different strokes for different folks.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
Hornhunter  Jack still is an interesting man, helped him celebrate his 90th birthday last year, still making broadheads and judos.

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
killed a big bull moose up in the  Yukon back in '89 with a blue zwickey. used a Ghost recurve

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
I’ve always heard of these but have never seen one. Can someone please post a picture of one?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
I tried but I can't get picture to post.

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »
Here's the best one I have left.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
I had a couple dz of them but thought I got them in 73-74

Hap

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
I have one down in my cabinet that I retired after I killed my first animal with a stick. A Delta that I ground the bleeders off of that  killed a 4x4 bull elk with in Colorado. It was a glued on a cedar shafted arrow I made myself and shot out of my Paul Schafer made Silvertip.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
Here's the best one I have left.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Thank you
I never saw one before
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad