3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain muffler silencers - advice on how to install them  (Read 1084 times)

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
Mountain muffler silencers - advice on how to install them
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Hi, Tradgangers,

I have always used a couple of leather tassels to silence my recurve. With my longbow I wanted to try something different, and got some dyneema mountain mufflers silencers. Do you have any advice on the best way to tie them to the string? And how far from the loop do you normally place them?

Thanks,
Max
Life is short, play hard

GCook

Re: Mountain muffler silencers - advice on how to install them
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:35 PM »
All I've used is the hush puppies and I've got only one set left.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »
If you have a Flemish twist string, just separate the two bundles and slip in the wool silencers. The string will then tighten up on the wool when the bow is strung.  You can also tie them in with some thin thread to help keep them from moving. 

I usually tie mine about 12 inches from the limb tips.  Seems to work as well as the set-up for harmonic dampening, which is to divide the string length into fourths and thirds and place one silencer 1/4 of the string length from one tip, and 1/3 of the string length from the other tip.  For example, on a 60-inch string, the top silencer would be placed 15 inches from the loop, and the bottom 20 inches from the loop.

Might need to try different adjustments until you find what works best on your bow.

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
If you have a Flemish twist string, just separate the two bundles and slip in the wool silencers. The string will then tighten up on the wool when the bow is strung.  You can also tie them in with some thin thread to help keep them from moving. 

I usually tie mine about 12 inches from the limb tips.  Seems to work as well as the set-up for harmonic dampening, which is to divide the string length into fourths and thirds and place one silencer 1/4 of the string length from one tip, and 1/3 of the string length from the other tip.  For example, on a 60-inch string, the top silencer would be placed 15 inches from the loop, and the bottom 20 inches from the loop.

Might need to try different adjustments until you find what works best on your bow.

Thanks, Orion,

I'll experiment from 12" and when I'm happy with the results I'll tie them up in place.

Have a nice evening,
Max
Life is short, play hard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©