3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are all arrows created equal?  (Read 986 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Are all arrows created equal?
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »
Providing shaft diameter and spine are the same (let’s say 5/16 and 500’s) are two different brands going to be equal from a tuning prospective?

I know grains per inch maybe/are different so trajectory may change slightly but would it be safe to be shooting one brand of 500’s that are tuned perfectly and buy another brand of 500’s and just cut them the same length and have those be tuned as well?

Or

Should you bare shaft tune every time you change brands of arrows?

Reasoning: I bought gold tip blend a couple years back and have had great luck not breaking them :biglaugh: recently I went through a spell of picking harder targets than expected during a few stump shooting expeditions and find myself low on arrows just before season. :knothead: As luck would have it a buddy gave me a 6 pack of new arrows which spine the same (both 500’s) just different brands and am wondering if I can just cut these the same length and be safe or if I should cut close (within a 1/2”) and bare shaft tune the rest?

Thanks y’all
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are all arrows created equal?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
If the GPI, diameter and spine are the same it should be pretty close.........but, that's just my experience.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
I have found differences between aluminum and carbon with the same dimensions and spine. I prefer to keep a bare shaft of each new brand of arrow I try, because I think there can be differences between different carbon arrows as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »
As Yooper notes, if the GPI, spine, and diameter  (and arrow length, point weight and fletching) are the same, the shafts should behave much the same.  Any differences would be so slight as to be unnoticeable. If not, then bare shaft.

Bisch

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
Maybe yes, most likely NO!!!!!

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Since there are so few different carbon spines available compared with aluminum, I wonder if there is a greater variation among .600 spine carbon arrows (just to pick one example) of different brands than among, say, 1816 aluminum arrows?  A somewhat related question is, is it meaningful to measure the spine of a carbon or aluminum arrow on a spine tester made for wood arrows?  I've read discussions on here in the past about greater than expected spine differences even among a group of seemingly identical carbon shafts of the same brand and rated spine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
Since he gave them to you, put one together and shoot it. That will give you the best answer.  :archer2:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
I had a rude awakening when I bought a doz 500 spine Victory shafts. I figure 500 spine is 500 spine, wrong. My GT’s 500 spine = 35-55. The Victory are 45-60. It would be nice if a standard like AMO applied to carbon arrows like bows.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »
Thanks guys for all your thoughts and experiences

I’ll do the bare shaft tuning and see how close they are, then I’ll update this thread... I have a hard enough time killin deer I don’t need un-tuned arrows to exasperate the issue

Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©