3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do any of you know who has?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Do any of you know who has?
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
That has actually completed the super slam with trad bow? I know a few have, I don't know names other than Fred Eichler.. but I can't imagine there is more than handful..., especially with trad bow. That has to be the most difficult hunting challenge there is..
Wanna be for now.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do any of you know who has?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »
Nathan Andersohn has.  Check out The Push Podcast’s interview of him. It’s a great listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-EVG

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
will do.. I like the push...I also like clay hayes and his films.
Wanna be for now.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Rick Duggan - Recurve
Fred Eichler- Recurve
Nathan Andersohn - Longbow

I believe Bryce Olson is creeping up on it as well.

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
what an amazing feat..I remember chuck adams doing it with a compound and the tom miranda and being in awe of it, but to do it with a recurve or longbow is just beyond imaginable..
Wanna be for now.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
Yup. I could probably work my entire life and never make enough to pay for all of those hunts, but I'd sure like to try and check off as many of them as I can.

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »
I am amazed at the challenge and the accomplishment.. it ain't easy for sure
Wanna be for now.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 08:20:04 AM »
I'll be happy if I get the 4 main ungulates with a trad bow! I've shot at all four does that count?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Sure!!
Wanna be for now.

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »
I believe Tom Taylor is close. Dennis Dunn has taken them all without sights and mostly with traditional but not all.
Lucas Kent

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »
I’m sorry but most of this fails to impress me. Super slams, turkey slams, etc they’re kind of most often bragging about someone else’s skill. I mean if you’re guided to an animal it’s one step above a 3D shoot imo only of course.
Imagine fellows who brag they’ve killed every species of just say turkey to keep things simple. If someone located birds than calls for you, what exactly are you patting yourself on the back for? Making a shot??? Silly. Same imo for any game. What id like to know if anyone killed every species by themselves. To be clear now, that’d only show they have enough money to do this. Bet any decent hunter w time and finances wouldn’t find it impossible.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
I’m sorry but most of this fails to impress me. Super slams, turkey slams, etc they’re kind of most often bragging about someone else’s skill. I mean if you’re guided to an animal it’s one step above a 3D shoot imo only of course.
Imagine fellows who brag they’ve killed every species of just say turkey to keep things simple. If someone located birds than calls for you, what exactly are you patting yourself on the back for? Making a shot??? Silly. Same imo for any game. What id like to know if anyone killed every species by themselves. To be clear now, that’d only show they have enough money to do this. Bet any decent hunter w time and finances wouldn’t find it impossible.

It takes a certain kind of drive to dedicate that much time and finances to this endeavor. Alot of people say I could do it if I just had the money. The fact is, you just lack the drive.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »

It takes a certain kind of drive to dedicate that much time and finances to this endeavor. Alot of people say I could do it if I just had the money. The fact is, you just lack the drive.

It could be some folks have lack of drive. Idk if that’s everyone. If I had all the money/time  in the world I’d still drive a pick up and have zero desire to chase certain animals. They’d just not do it for me. I’m not saying that what they’ve done is not an accomplishment but again guided isn’t the same thing imo
Few years back my buddy went to Iowa. Big farms hunt. He couldn’t hunt big areas. Some celebrity hunter came. The outfitter basically ignored my friends yet catered to the celebrity. He hunted the “saved” area. Got his deer right quick. Musta had lots of drive that fellow. Just the opposite for the most part if you ask me.
Guess everyone has a dif sense of sporting, drive, desire and sense of accomplishment. Doing it myself is the only way I’d feel any accomplishment. Shooting something I had no bearing on being next to is not it. Only a personal opinion
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Vabowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
there is a huge monetary commitment and time requirement but aside from that, there a great physical demand and a sacrifice of family time and work that I would never want to do. I just love my children too much to be away from them that long..now when they are older, that wouldn't be the case, but I still don't have the slightest inclination to travel to the artic and shoot a muskox  !!
Wanna be for now.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Sitting in a tree for a big deer to walk by is a heck of a lot easier than trekking through the mountains for a few weeks living off of what you have on your back and nothing else. I would say that takes drive. Whenever this topic comes up it seems like there is always someone ready to put down the guys who have accomplished it. I don't get it

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
The super slam with Traditional gear is an unbelievable accomplishment and on a level that is incomparable with any other accomplishment in hunting.  More people have walked on the moon. 

As far as guided or unguided it must be noted that many of the species require a guide by law and in other cases the “guide” makes the hunt possible by his logistical support of horses, boats etc. 
I have hunted about a dozen of the species in the slam and some required insane physical effort and skill to get within stick bow range. I can’t begin to imagine the physical stamina, mental fortitude, hunting skills and EVERYTHING else that it would take to get it done.  Is a quest like this for everyone? Of course not.  It’s for the .00001% that do it because of the challenge they desire.

My hats off to anyone that has this drive and thirst for challenge.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Bowguy67-

Law dictates that a guide is required for many of the animals on the list. Also, your ""just like a 3D shoot" idea does not track for several of the animals either (like all the Mt. Goats, Sheep, etc.) because 80% of the hunt is just getting to the hunting grounds in difficult terrain and weather. Sure, a guide could just walk you out into the bush or out on the tundra (after days or maybe even weeks of hunting) and stand you up in front of an Alaskan Brown Bear or a Polar Bear and say... "Now all you gotta do is just shoot it" how many could close the deal? Few, very, very, few could make that shot. If all it took was money, every billionaire hunter would have done it. If all it took was time, every unemployed hunter would have done it. If all it took was drive, every Redbull guzzling extreme athlete would have done it.

Like many endeavors that are far out on the edge it takes funds, time and a will to accomplish it. Every man who did it not only had the wherewithal to get it done, they also had that same wherewithal to put themselves in a position to have the funds and the time to get it done.

There are a few things in my life I will probably never do... own a Lear Jet, date a super model and complete a Super Slam with traditional gear. Not because I can't or because I can't afford it but because at this point in my life it is not important enough to me to make the sacrifices to get any of those things done. The men who did do it should be commended for their devotion to their hunting, the ability to make the shot when they needed to in tough situations and the ability to position themselves to get it done.

I have heard interviews with and seen presentations by Fred Eichler, Rick Duggan, and Nathan Andersohn. Not a one of them ever "bragged" about their accomplishment. Each of them spoke about their love of hunting, the people they shared all the hunts with, the places the hunts took them and the wonderful animals they had the opportunity to hunt. It is OK that you are not impressed with the accomplishments of these hunters. You do you... I on the other hand will celebrate their achievements.

I have to go now and finish packing for my trip to the east. I have only two species left on my Selfbow Super Squirrel Slam and season is running out.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »

I have to go now and finish packing for my trip to the east. I have only two species left on my Selfbow Super Squirrel Slam and season is running out.

OkKeith

Now THIS is something that requires photographic documentation.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
Bully...

I am currently waiting to hear from Extreme Squirrel Hunter Magazine about an article they want to do. I may also have a line of high end squirrel hunting camo launch the first of next year. Think "Technical Coon Hunting Gear" but for squirrels.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 11:43:55 AM »
Bully...

I am currently waiting to hear from Extreme Squirrel Hunter Magazine about an article they want to do. I may also have a line of high end squirrel hunting camo launch the first of next year. Think "Technical Coon Hunting Gear" but for squirrels.

OkKeith

:notworthy: :goldtooth: :notworthy:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©