3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy arrows with Light bows?  (Read 418 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy arrows with Light bows?
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I've been playing with some Heritage 150's and for kicks tuned them to fly out my 45# Martin Saber with 250 grain point weight, total arrow weight about 610 grains.  Normally I shoot 420 grain arows.

I must say my shots were really hitting low when I first tried them on 2-D targets this weekend!  However, by the end of the day my eye was adjusting and inside 20 I was feeling pretty good.  

Anyone else shoot set ups like this?  What do you think, especially given the loopy trajectory?

For my typical sub 20 yard hunting with whitetails, I think it could be a deadly combo.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy arrows with Light bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
It is. I shoot 52# with 645gr arrows. Works great.

Jon

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Weight=Quiet Bow.  Weight=Penetration.  All good.  However, unless you really need that much weight to make your bow quiet enough or to get penetration on the animals you hunt (and you don't on deer-sized game), that heavy an arrow doesn't make the greatest general use arrow, i.e., hunting, targets, 3-D, because of the aforementioned loopy trajectory.  Something around 500 grains should give you the best of all things, IMHO.  Good shooting, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Jimmy what length are your 150's cut to??? I kinda have the same thing going on! I got the 150's with 200gr up front, packs a punch thats for sure!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I have them cut to 30 1/4 (back of point to end of nock).
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
I was messing around with a 2018 that I have left from a while back. I put 250 grains up front and it shot great out of my 46# Bob Lee TD longbow. It was good out to 12yds then pooped out.  :biglaugh:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
I shoot 700 gr arrows out of my Caribow Silver Fox with 49 lb limbs. I don't notice a major drop till after 20 yards. I was playing with a couple of Abe's new prototype longbows last night. I was using 600 gr arrows, and the bows where 42 lbs, and 53 lbs, there was only about a 4 inch difference in trajectory at 20 yards. I usually try and set up for 15 yard shots, so I'm not worried about the trajectory with a heavy arrow.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
I shoot 650/700gn woodies out of my 50# Hills. They are all i shoot so i just got used to them. They penetrate really well and 'cause i'm so used to them  they seem to shoot well out to 40 and beyond whilst stumping.

cheers

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Jimmy I am shooting a CX 150 w/175 up front.  32" long 568 grains.  37#@28" 42@ my draw from my A&H ACS-CX.  In a word; SMOKIN'.  You're gonna love it.  Let's get together for some shooting sometime.  dave  :archer:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm shooting 620 gr. right now from a 40# recurve.  Flies great and sooo quiet.  Hits very hard.  It does take some getting used to if you're used to shooting a fast arrow.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
I shoot the same thing CX150 with 250 up front off my 45# Martin Savannah. Flight is great with ANY broadhead, and hits pretty hard. Oh, and dead quiet.
Bret M. FullER

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Thats practically my exact set up.

Great flight, just takes some time to learn to shoot 30-40 yards, but is fun once you train yourself to it.  Hunting range it doesn't matter of course.  

You get great penetration with the 19+ FOC.  I took two doe this last season with it.  They didn't go far.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
My wife has an extremely short draw. She is pulling 40# tops. She shoots CX 100s with 250 grain tips. They weigh about 500 grains. She's killed a bunch of deer with her set up and usually puts the broadhead throuh the far side. She shoots 20 yards tops. She had complete penetration on this buck last fall through the ribs. She shot it at a waterhole and it jumped in after the arrow went through.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
I hunt with a minimum 10 grains per pound. If I can get em heavier, and I usually do, then I'll hunt with em. I shoot Carbonwood arrows with anywhere from 265-375 up front. My Firefly really likes CW 4000 with 350 up front weighing in at a little over 700 grains. That'l smoke about anything.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
recovering fom an injury and only able to shoot 40# for now, tried my AD's (630 or so) that i shoot out of my 60#er just for giggles---they fly great, hit hard and are dead quiet. took me a couple days to get trajectory programmed into my little brain but out to 20 they hit where i look and that's further than i'll shoot at a turkey
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©