3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What kind of bike?  (Read 2850 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
What kind of bike?
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
If this the right place I apologize....was wondering if any uses a bike to ride into their area and if so what kind do you use and how do you carry stand and bow?..found out the ground I will be hunting bikes are allowed and having bad knee though t much t save myself a long walk...thanks

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What kind of bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
There are bikes made for hunting. Saw one last spring at a well know retailer. Looked like a mountain bike on steroids. Even had a trailer for bringing out your deer. Of course your going to have to take out a second mortgage to buy it.

Offline slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »
My advice would be that if you want to keep it really simple, an old hardtail mountain bike. Make sure it runs well and has new tires and tubes.
My ideal bike would be a rigid frame "27+" which is almost a fat bike. I don't own one but my brother does and it's pretty sweet for some scouting trips we have done. Lots of companies make them. I pull the burley flat bed trailer with my mountain bike and it's hauled some weight well. Wear a helmet.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 04:11:22 AM »
Look at runflats or tire slime
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
That's what I'm talking about...

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
Do a search for hunting bikes on the TG search feature in POW WOW, there have been many good discussions and pics on this subject. 

I have used a regular 26" mountain bike for hunting and it works pretty well with the right pack, rack, and a way to carry your bow. If you hunt hilly country it's still a lot of work. This year I bought an electric bike and it is the bomb !!! Check out Rad Power Bikes, I bought the Rover. I ride mine regularly in the Cascades on logging roads, doing 25 -45 miles in a day with no problem. I'm 71  :goldtooth: It has 4" wide tires and front suspension, with a 19" frame and 26" tires. I put a rear rack on it that carries a gear tote and side bags. It has 7 gears and 5 levels of power ( pedal & battery) assist. You can go up some pretty steep grades in a low gear and mid range power assist. It opens up a whole new way of scouting and enjoying the outdoors, I really enjoy mine.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
My bow fits in the bow pocket on the back of the quiver. The saddle bags hold a lot of gear. I've gotta admit I was a little younger then but you never forget how to ride a bike...right?

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »
I use a bike in mountains to hunt a lot. I typically have a take down bow and strap my backpack on well and off I go. A good headlight is mandatory if you’re riding at night. I’m an experienced mountain biker so I love it. Others have gone with me with far less enthusiasm, saying “rocks on the left, death on the right”. As far as a stand? Boy make sure it all packs together and rides well. Maybe one of those high end backpacks or a frame only pack would allow you to strap it all together.  Seems like a lot of bulk and weight, might be hard.

Last I saw where I was impressed was an e-bike. Man so cool, power assist peddling, thing went like 20 ish mph on the flat, and they make them for hunting. Quiet and easy. Cheating!! Lol.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
Any quality mountain bike will work. Small trailer to haul in stuff and haul out game. Haul out many a pig with my set up
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 06:25:48 AM »
Any quality mountain bike will work. Small trailer to haul in stuff and haul out game. Haul out many a pig with my set up

Pics?????
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »
Here’s an old photo bucket pic of my old rig. Have up graded my bike. I don’t use near as much as I have retired and moved to arkansas, hunting whitetails now and not much need to use it any more but is was a life saver out west
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
Also realize that in some areas those "electric" bikes are not allowed as they are actually "motor vehicles" and as such may be prohibited.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »
Both bike are GT’s. Don’t remember the model of my old one but the new one is a GT Karakoram this is a upper  tear bike you don’t need this much bike but it is nice to ride
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
thanks tops...cant really see it on my phone with the photo bucket watermark  :banghead:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
Mine is just a regular mountain bike with rear rack for my Bison Gear fanny pack and a bow carrier.  The bow carrier attaches to the rear rack...forgot the name but if anyone is interested PM me after November when I'm back in Aiken, SC for the winter.  I use my bike on my hog lease in GA...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
Rad Power Bikes... Rad Rover
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:28 AM »
For what it's worth Trek makes the lightest frames on a classic hardtail. I just converted over to a 29" tire too and man it makes a big difference on the washboards and root covered trails. less comfy than a fat tire but easier to turn going uphill. I think i paid just over $500 for it brand new (Trek Marlin 6).

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »
A bad hip made me try an electric bike. Worked well for getting around the deer camp and especially well for pig hunting in Texas.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »
Would probably need a trailer for my one-piece LB or recurve.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member