3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strap on quiver slipping off steep fades  (Read 2745 times)

Offline flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
Strap on quiver slipping off steep fades
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:09:39 AM »
I picked up an old root/shakespeare warrior a while back and want to put my Kanati strap on quiver on it. Over time though, the bottom arrow holder starts to slip down and eventually slips off every time  :dunno:

Even reefing on the straps doesn't help, the angle of the fades plus gravity and the shaking on shooting loosens it up eventually.

What options have I got? I have to pull it apart or modify it at some stage anyway as the internals (blind nut or hard plastic part) rub on the side of the limb and have lightly marked it already. It doesn't like to sit squarely to the limb either, and is skewed off at an angle - not that it really matters but if I'm going to mod it, I might as well fix it all in one go.

Ta

Steve

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strap on quiver slipping off steep fades
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »
I've never been able to get two piece quivers to stop sliding. Very frustrating.

I now use Great Northern quivers.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
Eagle's Flight Archery, they are a sponser
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
I have  rubber castration bands that I slide down the limbs up tight against the straps and it stopped the quiver from moving. If you don't have them available maybe several wraps of rubber band would work  . I have the Thunder Horn quivers.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
X2 on rubber bands.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
I had the same problem with a Thunderhorn Boa quiver.

First I cleaned the area on the bow with a little alcohol to make sure there wasn't anything slippery on the bow (very light, very fast so it doesn't hurt the finish). Then I hit the area with string wax. I also cleaned the straps (to remove any oils or release compound from the molding process) and hit those with string wax.

Quiver stays in place now, no slipping.

I think the rubber band idea is good as well.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Little stickie side velcro above hood and below gripper....one strip cut in half narrow is all you need.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
Eagles flight archery.  Half the price of most other quivers on market. Never had mine slip on any of my 8 bows.

Mine is the apache primitive around 60 bucks. Here is me in the tree stand as we speak on opening day. Also wearing their arm guard.  I've had mine for two years. I bought an extra foam insert for mine when I bought quiver still haven't needed to use it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 04:12:51 PM by dahyer »
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
Little stickie side velcro above hood and below gripper....one strip cut in half narrow is all you need.
Sounds like a winner. I had your problem when I first went to my 2 pc. Then I got the Totem option offered by Eagles Flight and problem solved. Terry’s cure costs pennies go for it!

Offline flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the ideas! I'm kinda stuck with what I've got for now, no real option to change plus I don't particularly like the look of an arm on a retro style bow (says he running a clicker  :laughing: )

I have  rubber castration bands that I slide down the limbs up tight against the straps and it stopped the quiver from moving. If you don't have them available maybe several wraps of rubber band would work  . I have the Thunder Horn quivers.

I've got some lamb ones, but they look far too small but I'll try the rubber band trick.

I had the same problem with a Thunderhorn Boa quiver.

First I cleaned the area on the bow with a little alcohol to make sure there wasn't anything slippery on the bow (very light, very fast so it doesn't hurt the finish). Then I hit the area with string wax. I also cleaned the straps (to remove any oils or release compound from the molding process) and hit those with string wax.

Quiver stays in place now, no slipping.

I think the rubber band idea is good as well.

OkKeith

I'm reluctant to start cleaning with alcohol as I've already taken a bit of finish off cleaning with alcohol to put a clicker on. A full strip and re-finish is on the cards as it's starting to haze/crack on the belly a little as well.

As above for Kieth, I'm reluctant to stick stuff on the finish as I pulled it off moving my clicker, but I might try sticking the velcro on the inside of the strap and see how that works. For the moment I've cut a wedge of medium density foam to try and square it up to the fade but I like the idea of having something in there permanently rather than falling out and going missing when I take it off!!

Thanks again, a few ideas to try.

Steve

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
There Great Northern quivers that each end are attached to each other might work well.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
I use double sided carpet tape for many things on my bows.
It holds as good as Barge Cement and can be removed with a little fingernail scrapping.
And you cut it just big enough so that it doesn't show underneath the strap.
I use it to hold my single arrow quiver under my string tracker.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »
I had that issue before, lower quiver section slides down exposing sharp broadheads. I modified my Eagle flight quiver by installing a section of carbon arrow to join the upper and lower section of the quiver together.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 11:09:32 PM »
When sheep hunting with Doug Campbell, we were going up a steep muddy hill and I slipped and started sliding down the path.  The lower strap on my two piece quiver slipped about two inches when I hit the mud, exposing four Eclipse  broad-heads that stayed in the rubber clips but were pointed in different directions.  Somehow, after knocking Doug over and sliding and rolling down the hill about thirty yards we stopped, luckily I was able to keep from impaling either of us.  Neither Doug or I were very happy.  Think that is the closest I have seen him come close to cussing.  Let’s just say it scared me enough I sat right there in the mud and used my leatherman to punch a hole in the hood, tie 550 cord to the hood, then tie the other end to the rubber grippers to keep them from sliding apart.  Sold all my two piece quivers when I got home, bought another great northern, and have never regretted it.

I see a lot of bad-aids being recommended for a bad design. 

Some things just work better, and are safer, then others.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
I hear you Walt, that's while I came up with the Velcro..... I've had that happen to me several times..... And it hasn't happened since.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
Double sided tape didn't work for me.
I finally got tired of it and just wrapped a couple wraps of black electrical tape around the limb and haven't had a problem since.  That particular bow has black limbs so it's no big deal.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 11:56:59 PM »
Get a Thunderhorn Lynx or Great Northern.  Personally I prefer the Lynx but both are good.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
Put some vet wrap around riser. Install quiver over the vet wrap. Solid, will not slip. Works well with any strap on quiver. Easily replaced. Comes in a variety of  colors if you care.

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 12:20:26 AM »
My Widow PSR has steep sloping fades and the bottom part of the quiver can move down the limb. I have gotten used to it and every few shots I check it. Quiver is very light and makes it worth the bother.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 01:23:44 AM »
Biggest reason I’m a great northern fan. I know here when it gets cold rubber gets a memory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©