3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone back pack WAY in?  (Read 535 times)

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone back pack WAY in?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
All you need to know is in Cameron Haines Book "Guide To Backcountry Bowhunting" It is a complete guide with gear tips and an entire list. Expect about a 50lb pack and start getting in shape now.

I plan to pack in for about 2 1/2 days at a time. It just takes too much energy to worry about getting back to camp and then having to get back up and hike in 3 or 4 miles in the morning. It is better to stay out there, wake up and hunt.

Good luck with the draw. If you don't have a pack, bivy sack, etc., you have your work cut out for you.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
I am getting ready to go on a South Central DIY spring bear hunt, back packing in. Should be fun!

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Hey I recognize that bear!!! Hope you nock down a good one Chuck!!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Wow! Some great advice here. Thank you guys!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
Hey Ethan! Where have you been? We should plan a back pack deer hunt.... (and get some salmon)... are you interested?

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, your "bear spray" looks like a .480? Is that a heavy chunk to carry, or is it OK? I got into a really light weight titanium rig, but it's kind of a bull to shoot.

Jim, I think you are getting some good advice and, in the end, it's going to be up to you to determine the level of hunt that you're willing to undertake. Good luck with it - it's going to be a blast.
Is it September yet?!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I pack into a couple of areas and it's only 3 miles from my base camp/truck. I just like not having to get up so darn early to get into elk. Do that 3 mile walk twice a day for a few days and see how those feet feel!ha

You can put together a reasonable kit including a decent internal frame hunting pack for under $600. The best piece of equipment is the bag. You can find solo bivy tents under $200, but I would not spend cheap money on a sleeping bag. I keep an external pack at the truck, haul out my backstraps with my bivy set-up (and horns if I'm lucky), then come back for the heavy stuff with a proper frame pack. I buy MREs form Ameriqual  http://www.readymeal.com/,  then break them down into daily rations. My brother's SF meals are made by the same company. If the boys in the berets eat them they're good enough for me!

I haven't used a packer yet, but there is a new place in the Flattops I want to try next year, and I'm thinking a drop camp will be the ticket (8 miles...not big enough to tote all the crap I'd like to take). Read Cameron's book. Nice info there! HAVE FUN! Once you do it you'll be hooked on going light and deep into the backcountry.
Mike Davenport

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
How would you plan differently from an extended period of hiking on the AT(Appalachian Trail)?  I have done week long hiking trips on the AT and wonder what would be necessary to change as far as gear and other considerations.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
bowfiend- it's a Ruger Redhawk 454 Casaul, yep it is heavy. I have been hiking the hillside trails around my house with my pack as training lately. ( 18-20 inches of snow the last few days has not helped) so I strapped the side arm  on for extra weight in my pack right now as I have not loaded my food for the trip yet. Everything else is in there, tent, sleeping bag, stove, fuel, pot cup,spork, rain gear, etc. havn't weighed it yet, I am guesssing about 50 pounds without the handgun.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
This would make a good "how to" for back country hunt/camp. I'm about half way through the book and I'm very intruiged about this style of hunting.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
Last year I packed in 10 miles.  I stripped my pack down to the bare min.  It weighed around 35 lb with the external frame.  Took just a tarp no bivie.  I agree to get the best sleeping bag you can a cold night is the worst.

Where I was there are plenty of lakes and streams with brookies  so I took a fly rod instead of a ton of food.

I would stress that you would be supprized how little you need.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
If you're hunting in 2-B or C forget about packing in.  The only area that can be hunted that way is the Rosa portion of 2-B only because they shut the main gate for the winter. There are so many gas field roads you can't walk over 2 miles without hitting one. The areas on the maps that don't have roads are big steep canyons you don't want to be in.

We drew the 2-C hunt this last Jan. If I can help drop me a PM.

I do backpack hunt the Leopold Wilderness in 16-B for elk. My partner is an ex-Okie who has ultralight packing down to a science.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Razor,

I don't think the hunt you put in is exactly what you are looking for...

It is the best mule deer hunt in NM, but,  especially in 2B, from what I know, you are going to have a hard time finding ANY area without roads.  It is smack dab in their oil and gas fields.

Next year put in for the Pecos Wilderness 44/45 for a way back.

You do know the odds of drawing that 2B or 2C January hunt, right?  Best be looking at a January hunt next door in AZ if you really want to hunt Muleys.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Didn't read all the posts...I see I am a little late with my revalation   ;)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Hey Chuck,  heck yeah I'm interested!! Don't know when I'll be able to get back up there again though.  But I'll mark it in my "planner"!

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Talondale- BP hunting isn't much different than backpacking in general, you just have to be prepared to pack the meat out. I'm setup to bring all my gear for a 1-3 night trip AND a boned out whitetail out in one shot.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
ttt
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©