3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How sharp is that broadhead?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
How sharp is that broadhead?
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I remember back in the 90's when I was teaching a lot of Hunter Ed courses we showed an archery video. Part of the movie talked about how important it was to have a sharp broadhead. The presenter (I want to say it was Jim Dougherty himself) gave a great demonstration using a small frame with finish nails driven in around the perimeter. Rubber bands were crisscrossed from all four sides making a "web". A dull broadhead was pushed through the center showing how it would roll veins and blood vessels out of the way and not cut them. A properly sharp broadhead was then pushed in and cut several of the bands as it went through demonstrating its ability to create blood loss and a cleaner kill.

Anyone remember this video? Anyone tried it with your "sharp" broadheads?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

GCook

Re: How sharp is that broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
I remember that being a standard test of sharpness.   Don't remember seeing the video.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
we still use this for the uk IBEP test and demo on sharpness it works great as a visual for people to understand,regards wayne

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
Wayne-

Do hunters taking the exam need to demonstrate their anility to sharpen and then the result is tested on the rubber bands? That is pretty hard core (and a great thing in my book). What sharpening methods are allowed, or is it just a demonstration?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

GCook

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
I've seen guys shoot their broadheads into the target at camp, put them into their quiver and head to stand.  I believe many deer are lost each season not because of a bad shot, but a dull head.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
Wayne-

Do hunters taking the exam need to demonstrate their anility to sharpen and then the result is tested on the rubber bands? That is pretty hard core (and a great thing in my book). What sharpening methods are allowed, or is it just a demonstration?

OkKeith

No it's done as a demonstration after we do the broadhead shooting test, but it's a great demo to see the differences, we do go through methods of sharpening from using a file and making the burr, to removing and getting very sharp, for my personal preference I like to finish with a leather strop and some jewelers rouge for a mirror like finish, regards wayne

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
After teaching some bowhunter ed classes I made a pvc frame that’s about 12x12” out of 1/2” pvc and put rubber bands across it in both directions it really shows when a head is in need of sharpening
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:53:23 PM »
If it cuts hair im gtg.rough edges hold longer imo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it deer season yet?

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:28:35 AM »
Just don't put too much tension on those rubber bands. Arteries are rubbery but not stretched tight.
Since I don't have particularly hairy arms and legs the bands work well for me.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
If it feels like it will cut my thumb open, it's plenty sharp enough.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

pavan

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:59:30 PM »
I do a variation on the Musatto/Hill serrated for most broad heads, wide round heads like Deadheads get a combination treatment. Some heads have metal that holds an edge better if it is file sharpened and a bit rough, like Bears.  My wife shot two Bears through a small buck two years back.  One was re-sharpened in the field with just a file,(test shot an arrow into a bale) and the other was honed and buffed to an easy hair shaving sharpness at home.   After passing through the deer the razor sharp head was dull, the file sharpened edge was still sharp.  Not a scientific test, but an accurate observation.  I suspect metal hardness makes that difference.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »
I test my heads by stretching a rubber band tight between my fingers, if it snaps with just a touch of the BH it is ready.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
What is aggravating for me is that I can get a broadhead (2 or 3 blade) very sharp with a medium stone, jewelstick or sandpaper.. or even a file. When I go to polish it on a hard stone, higher grit paper or strop it on leather with abrasive it will loose sharpness.

I can't be changing the angle that much from one stone to the other or getting bad contact from one surface to the other I don't think. I get a great looking edge, very reflective but just isn't as sharp.

I guess I would rather have the rougher but sharper edge over the smoother but less sharp edge.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
I remember a bowhunter education teacher that had a demo device that was made out of coat hanger wire -- sort of a 4" circle with a handle bent into the circle too. A bunch of rubber bands stretched across it ever which way. When they popped and flew off in all directions it made a strong impression.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Hanktownpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
For some reason it is easy for me also to ruin the edge while sharpening. I don’t have that issue with a knife, but do with my broadheads. Last year I bought a paper wheel and I put shaving sharp edges on my 4 Tuffheads in about a half hour. I used the same trick of inking the edge to make sure I held the angle, then followed with a bit of like stropping. Does the trick with less frustration.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©