3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tick bite on hunting land  (Read 1136 times)

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
Tick bite on hunting land
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:41 AM »
A dear friend of mine almost died from a tick bite he got on the property we hunt.  He developed ehrlichiosis, a brain infection.  He became septic, had some organ failure, then had a seizure, and two small strokes.  His daughter, who is a nurse practitioner, had him life flighted from his West Tennessee location to a Nashville hospital.  They almost lost him early on, but thankfully, he has resolved most of the issues, but still has a long way to go.  They think he will regain most all of his faculties.
Be careful out there, and we all would appreciate any prayers you might offer.

Thank You,
Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick bite on hunting land
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 06:03:45 AM »
Praying for your friend's recovery. Good reminder that treestands aren't the only thing to be careful with.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
Thank you for this warning and I wish your friend the very best for a speedy and complete recovery.

I recently spent a week in the hospital from a tick bite that I received while scouting public land in PA.

I developed anaplasmosis, which was misdiagnosed for 3 days and ended up causing minor liver damage.

The onset of anaplasmosis mimics flu-like symptoms and the area around the bite shows no rash, so it's difficult to detect and is easily misdiagnosed. If untreated anaplasmosis quickly develops into a very serious illness and can cause death.

Please look up the symptoms, so you can spot it early if you are spending time in tick country.

Trust me, it's nothing to fool with. I'm in pretty good shape and it knocked me for a mega loop!

Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the timely reminder. Remember; permethrin is your friend. Treat your clothing and gear after washing and allow it to air dry before you venture into the woods!
Aim small,miss small

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
Permanone!  aka permathrin
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
Clothes treated

Prayers sent
<><
<————————<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever 2 years ago - I'm a very healthy 37 year old (at the time) and it nearly killed me.  In and out of ER and hospital.  I've been in the outdoors my entire life, so I'm no stranger to ticks.  However, we NEVER found a tick or a bite site.  Yet blood test confirmed the diagnosis...  I was always under the impression of thinking I'd see a tick on me. 

My lesson and caution to others is to not assume anything.  Treat your clothes if you hunt warm weather zones and absolutely pay utmost care if you do get a tick on you.  Scary stuff. 

FYI - I never got the rash, so I went mis-diagnosed for about a week before the right care-givers did the appropriate testing to confirm RMSF, which is why it affected me so harshly. 

Be careful guys!!!! 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

pavan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
Reading this I can feel ticks walking all over my body.  Usually, here in NW Iowa ticks are no longer much of an issue by mid September, we supposedly don't have deer ticks, but people still get Lymes.  In June if you take a nap in the woods, they will pick you up and move you to a better locations.  Shot a buck in NE Iowa a few years back in late October, it was covered with deer ticks, many walking around on it.  A bit odd how agriculture pesticides are destroying our song bird populations, but the ticks just keep on spreading.

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
Hoping your friend continues to improve. I am a believer in Permethrin!
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »
Murray, prayers sent.  Jawge

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:26:31 PM »
This is just one more reason I hop up on the soap box when tick diseases are mentioned. Permethrin, permethrin, permethrin! Use it regularly and generously. Whenever you go in for your medical checkup  insist that the doctor run a tick panel. Who knows what illnesses you have come in contact with? That's how I learned that I had contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I also have Alpha Gal allergy. That's the one that makes you react allergically to all mammal meat. Bad stuff! No beef, no pork, no venison, no elk, not even squirrel or rabbit. The tick is a very bad and potentially lethal pest. Do not take them lightly. Mr, Seratt's friend should be an example to us all. Hopefully, he will completely recover. Unfortunately, we will hear of other horrible stories of this type. One last reminder - permethrin, permethrin, permethrin!
Sam

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »
Found out today my friend is moving to a rehab unit tomorrow.  Praise the Lord.
Thank You to all for your thoughts and prayers.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »
Murray,

Best wishes and prayers for your friends full and speedy recovery.

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
Ditto....
A very scary prognosis. Your friend was fortunate to discover the cause before it was too late.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©