3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black widow PL's  (Read 594 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Black widow PL's
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Well, I got the give me's again.  And a bonus at work.  I think I am going to buy my first new bow.  I have always bought used bows, and a bunch at that.  And never get exactly what I want.

So I figured I would order a new black widow longbow.  Is there any difference in performance between the PLI, II or V or X?  And will the wood choice make a difference in performance if I get a PLX?  

I just can't make up my mind.  I am thinking bamboo, Osage, or bubinga.  yea, I am vain.  :)  

Also, I wonder if the PL will perform that much better than say my Martin Savannah?  I am getting 172fps from a 560gr arrow with a 50# savannah.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black widow PL's
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
My PLV takedown is as sweet as it gets. I think the carbon and bamboo add a little something to its draw and shooting characteristics. If your not sure use their try before you buy option.
Robert Johns

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
I thought about that Rob, but its 60 dollars.  60 dollars I could use on a new bow.  But if I can't stand it, I am going to lose alot more than 60 dollars.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
If you try and then by you are only out an additional $30 as they don't charge shipping on your custom bow.  I definitely suggest you do the program.  If you buy and then don't like I assume you'll be out more than $60.

I am a big fan of BW recurves, but I couldn't get the hang of the PL.  I would like to try one with the older LAG grip on it.  A little more palm swell, looks like it is a little closer to a recurve handle and should be more comfortable to me.  

On the wood choices, I cannot tell much, if any, difference with the recurves.  I've only had the PLV so I can't compare there, but think that you may feel a difference in the thicker cored longbow.  I really don't think it matters what X model you choose as you'll still be getting bamboo in the cores (except the osage, which has osage cores I believe).  I don't think you'll see much of a performance advantage if those are the numbers you are getting with your Savannah.  However, sometimes you just "need" and deserve that nice shiny new bow.  I know I get the feeling quite often, just need a little cash to fund my desires  :)

Mike

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
great shooters IMO.Very solid and strong bow.I got the 66 in. PLV with the locket socket.I like this this TD feature.Very tight and strong with no parts.I like the all bamboo limbs combined with the carbon on back and the red core tuff core.Makes for a strong limb thats not not prone to twisting or torsional  twist when shooting.The riser very strong as well with the ironwood and glass reiforcements.Little to no handshock and shoots smooth.

You might consider getting the lag grip if you custom order one and want more contour.The standard grip works for me though just fine.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Go with the fancy wood. You only get to live once you bout as well shoot a pretty bow

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
buff, that looks like newfoundland.  Where's that at?  

What wood is that on that LB?

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I have a PLGA, which is essentially a PLX. 64" long, 52#@29". It has osage back/belly lams with bamboo limb cores. Brazilian rosewood in the riser. Mine also has the LAG/SAG grip. I love it!! I also have an SAG, so its easy to switch back and forth. The PL is an easy bow to shoot.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
The PL's are very nice bows but if you are looking for something that will blow away your Savannah in performance you had better test drive one first.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
The test drive is good advise.  Not sure it will blow away your Savannah, but the PL isn't a slouch.  Mine sends a heavy arrow with plenty of authority.  I have a cocobolo riser with kingwood limbs, my favorite wood combination.  I'm more a recurve guy, but I'll never part with my PLX.  A very nice bow.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I owned 2 PLs....a II and a III. I also owned a LAG. I plan to order another PL, but with the LAG grip. I liked the LAG grip alot, but the performance of the PLs was better (you might like the standard PL grip). A test drive isn't a bad idea. I shot a PLX for a few days and personally did not see much difference in performance. Either way, the Widow is a great bow! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I have the LAG style grip on my PLX.  Made a nice difference for me.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
If this is your first bow get the PLX (Exotic) you might as well have a pretty bow.  It sounds like it might be a long time before your next new bow.  I agree that you should try before you buy, 60 dollars is little to pay for peace of mind.  I would suggest you get the TD. I really like Black Widow's two-piece Locket-Socket.

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Correction
I meant to say that if this is your first NEW bow then get the PLX.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
I have 6 trad bows, and everyone was a hotdog deal I couldn't pass up.  But none of them was I seeking.  So I figure why not get something new, not shot by anyone else. One that I put the little ding that you won't notice on.

Now, not sure which PLX.  I like osage and bamboo, but bacote looks cool too.

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
I was in the same situation.  Decided on osage but my next bow will be bocate.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
BowBrain, I would love to see some good osage PLX pics.  You have any of the belly and back?

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Still waiting on my bow.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I have the Osage PLX, and I love it.  I couldn't care less if it shoots better, or faster than any other bow.  It shoots where I look, does it silently, and in style.  

I guess by the signature at the bottom of my post, I think highly of Widow bows.  Looking to add just one more!
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Would you have any pics you mind posting of the osage PLX?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©