3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Illinois Boys  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Illinois Boys
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
You know where I hunt Kirk lol. We literally had our first night under 60 last night, goodness it feels good. 
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
That's gotta be rough, Dave! Sweat, mosquitoes and hunting don't go well together in my book. :o
Aim small,miss small

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
sat up yesterday morning on my farm. It was super still and quiet when I got to the tree. I had 6 does and 2 fawns in the field before 7am, but nothing closer than 40 yds. Around 8:15, I had a 4pt come to 28yds then he started to list off around me. 3 more steps and he would have been within flint range!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
Got out again last night. Nothing sighted. Makes 3 times out and nothing but tree rats seen.

Hap

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »
Kinda makes you want to shoot the tree rats, doesn't it....? :archer2:
Aim small,miss small

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 01:14:22 PM »
Well, with the storm moving in this week, I sat up on Wednesday for an evening hunt. I filled 2 tags quick in about 30min. I'll dedicate the rest of the season to hunting with trad gear. Seems every time I took my long bow and flint this year, the deer stayed just outside of 30 yds. When I took the compound, they would be right on top of me.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »
Congrats on putting meat in the freezer! :thumbsup:
Rut oughta be kicking into high gear next week.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »
I saw 8 bucks last Friday, but nothing on Saturday. Sunday morning I hunted a bit before church, and had a mature 6 1/2 year old buck right under me in the stand, but it was too dark to shoot. In my binoculars, I could see his rack had gone down hill significantly from previous years. His body is filling out and his neck was much larger than even what is picture of him here. Mike

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »
I saw 8 bucks last Friday, but nothing on Saturday. Sunday morning I hunted a bit before church, and had a mature 6 1/2 year old buck right under me in the stand, but it was too dark to shoot. In my binoculars, I could see his rack had gone down hill significantly from previous years. His body is filling out and his neck was much larger than even what is picture of him here. Mike

You live very near me, Mike. If you don't mind me asking, did you hunt locally, or travel? Was it PHL or private property? I've heard some horror stories regarding Chain o' Lakes and Shabbona.
I drew a tag for the IBSP hunt and came home empty, but had a great week regardless.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
I hunt on my own property over three hour drive from home. Chain-o-lakes used to good about 10 to 15 years ago, but as of late the CWD in McHenry county has led to the state resucing deer numbers via sharp shooting. The same for IBSP, the DNR bait and shoot a lot of deer in surrounding lake county parks ie Lyon's Woods, whose deer tend to winter down in IBSP.   
I had a chance at a nice 4x4 with a double brow tine on left, but he turned out of range at 35. I tried to post a photo but it must have been to large. New moon and chance of snow in northern Illinois should really get the deer moving this week. Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 10:04:30 PM »
Now, he's a mighty hefty feller. :thumbsup:
I wasn't aware of the DNR bait and shoot program.

Might explain why the woods were so quiet.
Aim small,miss small

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2019, 06:55:24 AM »
Mike, How have you been. That buck looks as if he has a double white patch on his neck and right front leg looks like he may be a bit of a “pie bald” .
  Hope your season is a good one brother! :thumbsup:

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
 This will be my last post here until things change. Been out a total of 6 times and have not seen a deer. Reminds me of my first two years of deer hunting in 1966-67 when I never saw a deer. Only a track here and there.

Was still enjoyable.

Hap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©