3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Primal Tech + Wyoming = ELK!!!  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Primal Tech + Wyoming = ELK!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
Actually I was just going through security at the airport in Casper! Lol

So, we laid around for several hours just enjoying the beautiful weather and I eventually dozed off. My brother was asleep right away!!
When suddenly we were both woke up by a bugle off in the distance! I looked at my bro and asked him if he’s feeling good enough to go after it. I could see the misery in his eyes but he was more than willing to try! As we gathered our things the first Bull was answered by another that was considerably closer. So the decision was easy as to which direction we would go!
We quickly discussed our strategy that we would get as close as we were comfortable before we would call to him in hopes we wouldn’t push him away but rather get him to be aggressive. We hastily worked his direction while constantly keeping the wind in mind. As we dipped through a small draw and started up a slight finger ridge that separated 2 small parks the wind did a 180. It was blowing from right to left but changed going from left to right. I was afraid we had dropped to low and the bull would get above us. So I gradually veered to the right and up hill as we approached trying to gain the high ground. We hadn’t gone far when he bugled again and you could hear the pent up frustration in his growl and I knew we was getting close. I quickly told my brother to get hid and I would try to reach a deadfall with a large root ball that was about 40-50 yards away and when I got there he would begin calling.
I quietly buy quickly covered the distance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:45:56 PM by Crittergetter »
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
When I got to the downed tree I noticed there was a faint game trail going around it and I thought, if he walks down this trail I’ll not have a good shot because it would be straight on. So I moved off to the down wind side to another dead but standing tree about 10 yards from the trail. As son as I was in position I looked back to motion to my brother to begin calling but I could no longer see him and he couldn’t see me! Crap!! But his timing was perfect and he let out a bugle trying to sound like a young bull. I immediately see antlers appear about 40 yards away as the bull lets out his own challenge and start heading towards the sound of my brother. At about 30 yards the bull stops and checks the wind when my brother lets out another call! ( Gary can’t see me or the bull this whole time!) He didn’t like that at all and puts his head down and heads straight towards the sound of this intruder! He is on the exact trail that goes around the deadfall I had originally intended to stand behind. At about 20 yards I started to draw as he went behind a tree but I had a slight quartering to me shot and decided to wait and hope the wind stayed true. At about 15-16 yards he went behind 2 small trees and I came to full draw! I had a small window of opportunity before he would reach my scent trail and as he stepped into the opening my arrow was away.
Now here is something I didn’t expect, I was as cool as a cucumber this whole time!!  Everything went exactly how I planned and not one time did I get excited or worked up or anything. But... as soon as I saw the arrow bury up all the way to the fletching right where I was looking I completely fell apart!!!
I gave out a soft cow call as he bolted down hill from where he was hit and I heard him stop. My brother began cow calling as well because all he heard was the bull take off and me call. He thought I had blown it and the bull had spooked or something.
I quickly ran towards him with my bow in the air and I was shaking like a leaf on a tree!
We could hear my bull grunting and struggling to breath and then we heard him fall!! I had to take off my binos and jacket because was hyperventilating and felt nauseous!
We knew he was down but decided to give him a few minutes when my brother says, I can see him!  I thought he had got up or something but when I looked to where he was pointing I could see my bull laying there not more than 20 yards from where I shot him!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
Sorry guys, fixing to get on the plane so it’ll be a few hours before I can do the next post ....

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »
Excellent!! Congrats buddy!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
Great read. Love the pictures. Can feel your joy and misery. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing. :shaka:

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »
Sorry guys, fixing to get on the plane so it’ll be a few hours before I can do the next post ....
That’s just plain dirty!!!
Leave us hanging with a teaser pic.

Congrats Randy!!!
Can’t wait to see more pics
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
I’m on the edge of my seat! I see it all unfolding, I saw the arrow bury up in him!!!!  :clapper: :notworthy:
Now let’s get on with it  :biglaugh:
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

GCook

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
Congratulations bud.   

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
Ok guys, after a couple of delays I am in Dallas.

I’m a little confused after reading this...”The timing was Perfect and the arrow hit her right in her arm pit as she stepped forward and broke her off side shoulder. Perfect heart shot! She collapsed as she tried to run and then got back up and took off following the lead cow!!” If you get a 6-7 yard shot and a perfect hit why then do you continue to hunt? I’d punch my tag and call it a season.

If you’ll read all of my previous post you’ll see that I had 2 tags in my pocket! 1 was for any elk and one was for a cow. Bull, cow, calf, anything I wanted to shoot and the other was a cow only tag!!  I did the respectable  thing and punched my cow tag! I don’t know about any one else but I’m not going to waste my other tag!! And legally I could still shoot another cow if I chose to but I made the decision not to!  Sorry if there was any confusion in my post. Hope this clears things up!
I’ll be giving my wife a break and driving home so I’ll continue this saga later this evening!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »
Gotcha. Sorry   Not used to having 2 tags for the same species.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:22:05 PM by snag »
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Primal Tech + Wyoming = ELK!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
No worries man, I can see where it could get confusing!!

Back to the story!!
There was no need in waiting since we could see him down in sight! I ran up to him as I was excited to get my hand on him! As I approached I was pretty amazed by the damage the silver flame broadhead had done!
Ps.. it was a 13 yard shot!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:18:46 PM by Crittergetter »

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
I took this close up pic just for our very own Bisch!! He loves these heads probably more than I do!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
I will say that I believe that any properly sharpened head properly placed will do the trick!! But I will also say that this head will still shave even after punching through a rib in the entrance side!!
Anyhow, we took quite a few pics and this is one of my favorite!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »
Now the work begins! My brother is so sick that all he could do was help hold legs while I did all the cutting. That is so unlike him! He usually carries most of the load when hard work needs to be done.
I opted for the gutless method and began removing quarters in no time. I then drug all the quarters and meat about 100 yards away from the carcass since we was in bear country and placed them off the ground on logs to help them cool during the night. And a few more pics just because! My brother was in good spirits but you can tell he’s miserable!! Lol

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
Awesome!! What a great/amazing time! Glad you and your brother could share it together. Thanks for the long story, love a good read
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »
We made our way back to camp and got there just in time to prepare a celebration meal! Fresh tenderloin wrapped in Bacon cooked over a wood fire!! And served up on some of Gods finest China!! It was just plain awesome
I also kept the tongue for my buddy Darren. (Aka. Hackbow) We’re gonna plan a get together to test his culinary skills!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:33:33 PM by Crittergetter »

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
That night I could hear coyotes and feared the worse. But as we cautiously approached the next morning while making plenty of noise just Incase there were bears in the area all my fears were just a waste of time because everything was just as we left it.  We hung the quarters up one by one and I began de-boning everything for the pack out while my bro held the game bags. It didn’t take long to get everything packed up on the horses. Thank the Lord they were there to do all the heavy lifting because my brother wasn’t any help at all!! Lol

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:14:38 PM by Crittergetter »

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »
Since the weather was supposed to get nasty again on Friday we decided to get out while we could. So we headed back to camp to pack up. Didn’t take to long and I had everything packed on the horses. 1 carried all the meat and 1 carried all our camp and gear. The last horse carried my brother. There was no way he was gonna be able to make the hike on foot all the way back to the trail head. So I  lead the horse with the meat and head and my brother trailed along with the pack horse. It was a beautiful day and the 8.5 miles back to the truck and trailer went by a lot faster than I thought it would.  A few more pics won’t hurt!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:14:13 PM by Crittergetter »

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
We got a good nights rest and a shower in a motel before heading to a whole new area to hunt my brothers moose for another week.
It was a different style of hunt so I’ll keep that adventure for myself!!
Sorry for the long read and a few spelling errors. But I promised a few folks I’d take a lot of pics and tell the whole story!
My equipment..
62” 3 piece Primal Tech longbow, 50#@28”, full length fmj 500’s with 75 grain inserts and 150 grain silver flame 2 blade, total arrow weight is 539 grains.
Thanks everyone, good hunting and God bless!!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:21:32 PM by Crittergetter »

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »
Randy,

Great job on getting it done!  Beautiful bull to, and the memories of a hunt with your brother. Although sick it will be a story to tell for years to come :thumbsup:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©