3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa Opener, October 1st!  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Iowa Opener, October 1st!
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:10:32 AM »
 Just wanted to wish all my fellow Iowans, as well as non-residents the best of luck this Tuesday. Looks like it's going to be a wet soggy one here in Monroe county this Tuesday but I am still hopeful that I will get some dry time in a stand by the end of the day. Best of luck and stay safe!
                                                                 JMG
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

pavan

Re: Iowa Opener, October 1st!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »
You just stay away from that public land west of Inwood. I saw the big buck first.  Just kidding, that area last time I was there, has the most elaborate collection of trail cameras that i have ever seen.  The other weekend the parking areas were constantly full of pickups with youth hunters and people putting up tree stands.  I will be on an open hill side by a small plum patch, watching the rain go by, but if it is raining hard I will be in town, cruzin' for babes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:29:24 PM by pavan »

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
I don't have to worry about public land crowds thankfully,,,,The youth and handicap season has been rained out here for the most part.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
Just had a relative "help" his little girl kill one of the bucks I've been watching all summer during the "youth" season yesterday.  I'm not one of the big supporters of such, but it is what it is.  Supposed to be getting 3 to 4 inches of rain the opening two days so not likely to be doing much.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
It’s been a long wait and here we go :goldtooth: 

:archer2: :archer:

Good Providence.... :thumbsup:

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
Just had a relative "help" his little girl kill one of the bucks I've been watching all summer during the "youth" season yesterday.  I'm not one of the big supporters of such, but it is what it is.  Supposed to be getting 3 to 4 inches of rain the opening two days so not likely to be doing much.
I hear ya BAK,,,Reminds me the story of the Albia Buck that was taken right down the road from me,,,shot during the youth hunt as the kid was in school as the story was told. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of a youth hunt because there are to many people willing to break the rules. I once seen a handicap hunter walking with a cane,,,he looked like he could barely walk let alone hunt. Later that same day I seen the very same individual dancing at a wedding.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »

You're right KAZ,,,Best of luck my friend,,,, :campfire:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »

You're right KAZ,,,Best of luck my friend,,,, :campfire:

:thumbsup:

pavan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »
I have two left hand back quivers and two right hand back quivers.  Depending on the quiver, they either match my lighter duo shooter or my heavier duo shooter, or my left hand longbow or my right hand longbow.  then there are the arrows that are ready to go that match their particular bows, I am so screwed.  They say beware the man that has one bow.  On Thursday, after the rain, I plan on flipping a coin and then changing my mind. I need a four sided coin.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
I have two left hand back quivers and two right hand back quivers.  Depending on the quiver, they either match my lighter duo shooter or my heavier duo shooter, or my left hand longbow or my right hand longbow.  then there are the arrows that are ready to go that match their particular bows, I am so screwed.  They say beware the man that has one bow.  On Thursday, after the rain, I plan on flipping a coin and then changing my mind. I need a four sided coin.
LOL,,,Thursday seems to be the only good day in sight, but if everything is flooded, it wont be worth my time or effort. The same thing happened last year too,,,heavy rain every weekend until the first week of November. I remember because I couldn't get crops out until freeze over!

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 10:35:27 AM »
Here it is, 10-1, Woke up early "just in case", but it has been pouring all morning long.  Supposed to continue all day and tomorrow.  Just been that kind of year.  My sisters asked my wife and I to go on a little fishing outing in MN with them last month.  Rained all day every day but one.   :banghead:

pavan

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
You think you got rain on your end, there is only one thing to do on a day like this, paddle over to Casey's and drink coffee and eat doughnuts with the town cops.

Offline mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »
I was going down this morning but got an email from my sister who lives close to my hunting area and she said I'd better bring my canoe if I planned on hunting. Maybe Thursday. 

pavan

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »
Landowners around here give water a lot of advice, with 4.5" of rain so far, still raining, the streams, creeks and rivers will get wide and deep very quickly..

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »
I got out yesterday afternoon under a tornado watch here in south central. I had several small bucks and few does shuffle through the last hour of the day. It was still good to get out! They was calling for several inches of rain down here but it only got windy but stayed fairly warm.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »
Yeah, I went out and sat in my pop up in the rain last evening.  Saw a number of does and fawns and one nice buck at about 200 yards.  Drying out now so tonight should be much better.

pavan

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »
It was muddy out there. Those two streaks going down that slope west of Inwood, those were my Red Wings.  Next week after the youth shooters are out of the woods, I will be wearing canvas combat shoes with semi lug bottoms. 

pavan

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »
Put rocks in your pockets and tie down gramma, 40 to 50 mph gusts out there.  Not a hunting day.

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »
Water, water everywhere. Should have been out in my chest waders. Saw a doe and a fawn. That’s it so far. At least it’s cooler.
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
Weather is going to start drying out tomorrow so things are looking up.   :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©