3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum arrow—what fletching glue?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum arrow—what fletching glue?
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
For those of you who still like aluminum arrows, like me.  What glue do you fletch with?  I used to use Saunders NPV but the last tube I got didn’t adhere well.  Lately I have been buying Loctite super glue and it works well but very expensive to do a dozen arrows.

I sand the shafts lightly and wipe with denatured alcohol so I know all about prepping the surfaces to be mated.
Chad

Offline YoungMarine

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum arrow—what fletching glue?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »
I've had good luck with fletching tape on aluminum and carbon. I put a dot of gel type super glue at both ends of feather just to seal small gap and keep it from catching on anything.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
Back when I used aluminum Fletchtite was good enough you had to work to remove old feathers.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
I switched from fletch tite to NPV and did two dozen. I'm happy with it.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
For feathers I like Firenock Aerogel. If you are trying to save money though, it is the least cost effective option.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »
Chad, the loctite gel works great. You can remove the plastic housing from the tube and get a good bit more glue out of the tube. I have also had good luck with Gorilla Glue ultra gel.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:41:36 AM by matt steed »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
I used fletchtite for probably 25 years and then switched to NPV or super glue gel when they switched to platinum and had all kinds of issues. I’ve never had bad results with NPV though. I think they have fixed all the issues with the platinum now too. I have recently used it also with good results.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Dollar Tree super glue gel. Cheap, $1.00 and works good.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 12:19:09 PM »
I've used Fletch-tite and NPV. Both have worked well. If you're gluing to bare aluminum, make sure those shafts are "squeaky" clean.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
I don’t fletch over bare shaft anymore. When I did I prepared the shaft bu scrubbing it with comet cleanser and hot water. Dried off with paper towels. No touching the cleaned area. Then just before I put shaft in fletcher I wiped it down with fletch Laq thinner. Then used Fletch Tite to fletch either feathers or vanes.
 99% of the time I use wraps these days, except woodies,. Makes my life easier. I did switched to NPV glue when the fletch Tite had issues. But with wraps I haven’t had any issues with FT. I also have tried tape agian. So far so good. Another thing I have used is the Gorilla SG in bottle with blue cap. It works well but I don’t like cleaning it off shaft when refletching. Another SG is Dap “rapid fuzz” it works well also.

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »
Fletching tape for me. Love it!
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »
I do the same as youngmarine and it's worked fine for me.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  The NASP arrows we use at the school come from Easton.  The glue they use on the vanes are unbelievably good.  I have to use a knife to scrap off the glue.  That’s the kind of bond I’m looking for on my arrows.  I don’t want to be able to grasp the feather and pull it off.  The feather should rip before the glue lets loose.  I may have to give Easton a call.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 05:03:27 PM »
This is the best I've found for aluminum since Fletchtite went to hell.

3Rivers
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
I would bet it’s some kind of super glue and I bet that Easton sells it. Look at it this way, they are making or have someone making a big bunch of arrows, maybe on a daily basis. I am sure they don’t want to wait around for glue to dry.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
Fletch tape and a drop of glue on each end, never had one come off yet !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »
Loctite 401 for feathers, 406 for vanes. Dab of MEK glue (Fletchtite, NPV, whatever) at each end.
Alan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »
I used fletchtite for probably 25 years and then switched to NPV or super glue gel when they switched to platinum and had all kinds of issues. I’ve never had bad results with NPV though. I think they have fixed all the issues with the platinum now too. I have recently used it also with good results.

I hope so, but once a product gets a bad reputation, it tends to stick around longer than the glue (bad pun).  I continued to use fletchtite on carbon arrows after it failed on aluminum, and never had any problem with it on carbon. 

I don’t fletch many aluminum arrows these days, but recently fletched up a bunch for a tournament that required them, using NPV.  The NPV held up fine during the tournament and practice sessions: not one failure.  I noticed that the tube of NPV was getting old, and was afraid it might go bad before I used the rest of it, so have been using it on carbon arrows, with the same good results, making me wonder why I still continue to use fletchtite for anything.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
I still use Fletchtite with aluminum and dont have any problems but then I always dip in clear the back 10" so the glue has something to bond to, also clean the shaft with thinner before dipping , clean is the key , dont run your oily hands down the shaft.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »
Well thanks again guys.  I ordered some of the Flex Bond that Charlie recommends as I know he’s done a few Aluminums in his day.   

Ted, do you use bohning lacquer to dip the back of shaft?  Just one coat?  Thanks,   

Chad

P.S.  I sure like aluminum arrows.  Can’t find much I don’t like about them..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©