3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow weight reduction?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
bow weight reduction?
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
Where / who can reduce a few pounds of weight off a bow? Other then sending it to the bowyer who is typically backed up and charges more then you think is necessary for that kind of rework. In the past I've heard of a few guys doing it but don't remember their names or businesses. Thanks in advance.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: bow weight reduction?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
I believe the bow hospital is still in business.  Believe he is a member here, though can't remember his name.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »
Check with Randy at Primal Tech Bows
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
Ken “2 bears” does it.  Great work, cheap and a fast turn around.  I think Randy stopped reducing but he may have started up again.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

pavan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »
My wife could use 3 or 4 pounds shaved off of her Lost Creek NAT. She is not as strong since she broke her arm and having difficulties rebuilding her total strength.  I have done ASLs and cheap recurves but am not sure exactly what would be the best way to do it on a short hybrid.  What would it cost?  She has been on my back about getting it done versus me buying her another new bow.

arrow30

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:28:23 AM »
are there any videos that could walk a guy through the process, im sure I could do my own if I could see it done once or twice.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
Montana Bows took 3 pounds off my Toelke Whip.  Cost was $100 and time was around 2 weeks.  Very pleased with the result. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »
It's really not terribly difficult to do.  Sanding the back or belly has the greatest effect.  Sanding the sides of the limbs, not as much. Use a sanding block and count, even pressure strokes (on each limb), and check the weight/tiller after every 5-10 strokes or so.  Be careful of sanding the sides only, particularly on wider hybrid/recurve limbs or you could end up with limbs that look like hour glasses. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©