3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrying Meat Home- Out of State Hunts Traveling by Airplane  (Read 824 times)

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Carrying Meat Home- Out of State Hunts Traveling by Airplane
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:55:49 PM »
So what do you guys do with deer meat if you have an out of state hunt and you are traveling by airplane. I have been told some people freeze the meat and then check it in a cooler. I think the weight limit may be 50#'s on the airline, possibly more with a fee. If you shoot two deer what would you do because of the extra weight? I have been told you can also freeze it and then send Fedex. I need to check but that sure sounds expensive. Could you please give me your thoughts and what you have done if traveling by airline.
Thanks

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrying Meat Home- Out of State Hunts Traveling by Airplane
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:09:02 PM »
UPS 3 Day Freight appears to be a viable proven option.

just now performed a google search for 'Shipping Deer Meat' ...turned up several options.

Note: if you are hunting western KY, you may be better off leasing a tractor trailer
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:19:10 PM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:57:21 AM »
First piece of advice is to read and know the baggage policies of the airlines you could be flying with. Example: Alaska Airlines charges $30 and $40 for your first 2 bags and they can be up to 50 pounds each. The third bag (box or cooler) is $100 BUT can weigh up to 100 pounds. In today's world of high shipping rates, flying 100 pounds of frozen meat home for a buck a pound is pretty fair.

It doesn't need to be cut, packaged and wrapped. You can simply bag the deboned meat and freeze it. I've done this several times, and I've brought it home in a roll-top heavy duty stuff bag or duffel. Put the fresh meat in it and freeze it. Check it as baggage. It will easily be safe for over 24 hours of travel.

If you travel with perishable meat, be sure to tell the ticket agent which bags have meat and ask to have them labeled as 'frozen' and 'perishable'. You really don't need a cooler and its extra weight. Lots of meat gets shipped and flown home in nothing more than heavy duty cardboard boxes with NO ice in them.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
My buddy Tom brought his lion head and hide home in his carry on bag from Idaho.  We got some questions from the lady watching the x ray machine. Lol

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
The last time I tried travelling with 'meat' was frozen fresh-caught yellowfin tuna and  dorado and an eight hour delay in Houston made me worry so much about thawing that now I donate or trade the meat when hunting beyond driving distance.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
I was in the fish market 10th and M in Anchorage this year when a guy brought about 250 # of moose in fish boxes.  They used there alaska air known shipper status and sent it to him.  I don't know what they charged but it's an option if you live near an airport that Alaska Air serves.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »
Like Kevin said, know the airline and their baggage restrictions.  They're all a little different and they also seem to change frequently within each airline.   I've only flown American Airlines for hunts and their current policy is $30 first bag, $40 second bag,  both up to 50lbs. 51 - 70 lbs is $100 up charge and 71 - 100 lbs is $200 up charge.     I fly for work quite a bit so my first 2 bags are free and I only have to pay the overweight fee.  On my last hunt I didn't have time to freeze the meat before flying home, only enough time to chill it.  I bought the largest, cheapest ice chest locally that fit the airlines baggage dimension limits, duct taped it shut and checked it.  Worked great.     

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
When I returned from British Columbia then to Junau Alaska, we did not have any problems, used the meat as extra luggage.  HOWEVER when we got to the airport we had the meat in cheap cardboard boxes wrapped with duct tape.  The lady at check in will not allow the cheap boxes.  She went in the back and brought out "fish boxes" which paid a small amount for.  They were heavy wax lined boxes with a plastic bag liner inside.  We dumped out our meat and re-boxed right in the airport floor, then taped them with duct tape, then they accepted them.  Where ever you go, ask about the boxes used for shipping fish.  All meat was frozen and we left it in a fast food store over night in their freezer and paid a small fee.  Picked up the meat early in the morning (make sure they are open all night or early in the morning, before leaving meat in freezer) then went on to airport.  I had boxes of Caribou and Grizzly meat.

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
I just had some meat shipped back to me from a processor in Fairbanks.  It can be more expensive but not that terribly much so.  I don't have to deal with it either.  I have carried my own back and had it shipped (fish).  I just find it less of a pain to have it shipped.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »
We have taken elk home many times over the years as baggage. We usually fly SWA and allowed 2 free 50# checked bags plus a carry on. We have the meat processed, frozen and packed in waxed cardboard boxes (47# meat), or Rubbermaid containers (45# meat), or cheap 45-50qt coolers (42#meat), just be sure to weigh and stay under the 50# limit for free shipping. Also you may pack some meat into your carry on backpack or bag cooler (40# meat). So 1 person may transport about 125+ # of meat home for free. We have always had the meat still frozen upon arrival home.  Ship your gear home UPS 5-day ground shipping for cheap.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©