3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Handy Clicker?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Handy Clicker?
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Who uses one?  Honest experiences? 

Ive been shooting trad exclusively for about 7 years.  Ive done surprisingly well in that time for a guy who has ALWAYS had target panic.  Ive done joel turner’s online course but I never gave it 100 percent and continued to go up and down in my shooting.  I went two years doing great on live game and was more prepared for this season than ever.  I was shooting great and then missed two EASY shots on nice black bears and Ive decided something has to change.  I need a psychotrigger that I cannot anticipate and this thing seems perfect for me as I really prefer a dead release.  Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

Btw- already ordered one so Im kinda committed.

Offline Eric S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Handy Clicker?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »
I just received mine and it's taking a little getting used to. I'll need to "make the decision" to use it and report back.
Joel's course has turned me upside down so it may not be this clickers fault.  :biglaugh:
Good luck with your demons! I've been fighting mine way too long.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
Ive been at this a long while and I do believe that Joel’s teachings are correct.  The psychotrigger is a total necessity for a lot of us.  Otherwise it’s always an up and down battle.  Time for something different for me.  I walked probably 100 off trail miles this summer to find that place I knew the bears would be.  Im done failing to capitalize on those oppurtunities. 

pavan

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 03:36:42 PM »
One hand and arm resists and points the bow, the other side pulls the string and lets go of the string, while the eyes look at stuff that matter to the shot.  Then we think about it and it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
I'm not sure how you would not anticipate the handy clicker since you trigger the click when you are "ready".  For target panic, I have found nothing better to deal with it than Jim Casto Jr.'s program.  It has helped a lot of folks tremendously. 
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

pavan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
I think TP can be either an ADD thing or even a focal dystonia thing.  A friend I had in central Iowa with TP went to a compound and a mechanical release.  In less than a month, he was automatically hitting the trigger before he was ready.  He did something very similar when shooting a shotgun, pull a bazaar wince and jerk when pulling the trigger of the shotgun.  Think about it, the movements are simple, pull it to here, point it at that, but don't forget to go nuts just before the task is finished.  TP is a crazy thing.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:17 PM »
This is my second year with a clicker, has helped me greatly. My main problem was getting to full draw and now I can pick up another bow without a clicker and hit full draw.  I still sometimes release without hitting the clicker but I'm so close to full draw it doesn't matter. 

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
I'm not sure how you would not anticipate the handy clicker since you trigger the click when you are "ready".  For target panic, I have found nothing better to deal with it than Jim Casto Jr.'s program.  It has helped a lot of folks tremendously.

Ill look up his program.  The handy clicker works like any other psychotrigger.  If you do the pressing slowly, you dont really anticipate it I guess

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
Jim's program can be found on the Shooters Form Board.  Scroll down to the thread "Beat Target Panic...(Maybe?)" 
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between a clicker that is connected to the bow and one that is not, so far as the non-anticipatory psychotrigger aspect is concerned.  You can force the type of trigger that is connected to the bowstring by a string to click consciously if you want to.  Same as you can force a rifle to go off when you want it to, even though you are supposed to be squeezing the trigger until the release is a surprise.  For any trigger that is supposed to be non-anticipatory, you have to play the game the way it is supposed to be played.

The thing you would lose by using a trigger that is not actuated by the bow is that you wouldn't get a draw check.  However, if you want to use a dead release, you have to find a trigger that will work without being actuated by a movement of the arrow.

Like David Mitchell, Jim Casto's program has helped me more than anything else I’ve tried.  I still have to go back to Jim's drills occasionally to regain the feeling of total control of the bow.  Joel Turner also has a lot of good advice about total control of the bow in his course, even though I believe he is wrong, at least in my case, that a subconscious release necessarily leads to target panic.  Maybe in other people's cases, it does lead to target panic.  I think there may be different things that trigger target panic in different people.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Gene R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
I got a handy clicker this summer. I got used to it fairly quickly. I used it about three weeks and in that time something happened. I got to where I was able to slow down my shot and be in control of it. I don't know how or why this happened but it did. I was able to shoot without the clicker and just think the click through with the same results. It seems I needed something to stop me from a premature release and this gadget did it! I may have to pick it up and use it again but for now I am able to control things, I recommend it highly!

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
I got a handy clicker this summer. I got used to it fairly quickly. I used it about three weeks and in that time something happened. I got to where I was able to slow down my shot and be in control of it. I don't know how or why this happened but it did. I was able to shoot without the clicker and just think the click through with the same results. It seems I needed something to stop me from a premature release and this gadget did it! I may have to pick it up and use it again but for now I am able to control things, I recommend it highly!

God I hope that’s me! 

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
I bought a handy clicker and gave it about a year.  It's a great product that is well made and works just like it should but I prefer a dynamic release.  I need to pull through the shot or I lose back tension and although it controlled the tp my accuracy wasn't as good as with a string mounted clicker.  As of now I have gone back to the string mounted clicker.  If you like a dead release I'm sure you'll find it works excellent for you.  I did have to play around with it to find a position that was comfortable and allowed me to activate it without putting too much tension in my string hand.  I put my tab on and then put the bottom loop over my pinky and the top loop over my middle finger with the beads on the inside of the palm.   

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
So Ive been shooting with this thing for about two weeks.  I use it on my bow hand and click it with my ring finger.  Once in a while I can tell I force it to click and usually collapse a bit on those shots but that’s a lack of concentration and usually happens when Ive been shooting too long. 

I did take it out to the woods and it definitely works in cases that would normally cause me severe TP.  Namely, I shot two armadillos and did a lot of stumping with a backpack on.  All shots were totally controlled.  Finally got a shot at a doe last night.  Turned out to be a button head that fooled me but I was able to get to full anchor and settle in on a 22 yd shot.  A shot I couldve never made weeks ago.  I spined him and when he dropped I nocked another arrow and got settled in and chest shot him.  So far so good.  I highly recommend this tool if you have TP AND you are willing to stay disciplined to it

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
Hi Everyone. Thanks for the positive comments about the Handy Clicker. My main goal is to help people and it sounds like it's working!

Etter, congratulations on the deer! That's fantastic!

David Mitchell, I get lots of questions about how the Handy Clicker can be a surprise trigger. It works much like a quality trigger on rifle. While you are consciously aware of applying pressure, the break comes as a surprise. In fact, I have some customers who use a mantra, such as "keeping pushing, keep pushing" and they still don't anticipate the trigger because the break surprises them.

I'm happy to talk with folks over e-mail or phone if you have questions.

Thanks for all of your support!

Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
Wanted to bump this thread for anyone looking for a psychotrigger. Ive done it all. Feather to nose, limb mounted clicker, grip sear, etc. This is by far the best for me. It really wont do jack without the necessary teaching but the combination is deadly.

Ron is great to deal with too. Really stands behind the product. 

Offline Matt Parker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
I tried it but it seemed really easy to anticipate when it would click compared to a limb mounted clicker and to me it was impossible to place it in the same location each shot. Do you mount it to your grip somehow or just hold it in your hand?
Matt Parker

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 09:05:18 PM »
I tighten the bungee strap as tight as I can on my middle finger of my bow hand. Its on the back of the bow (front facing the target) and I angle it slightly down so my ring finger is on the “trigger”. I can do this easily on any bow and if Im slowly pressing (as any psychotrigger is intended to be run), I cant anticipate it. 

As you probably know from JT, if you can anticipate it, you arent focusing on the correct part of the movement.  Not talking trash.  Thats my demon too but man when I focus like Im supposed to, Im dead on with no anxiety.

Still learning from myself daily but on the program

Offline Gene R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
I have used one for about 6 months now. It hasn't cured me completely but it has helped greatly. If I go on auto pilot I go back to releasing too soon before proper aiming and bow arm placement. However, when I keep my concentration on the shot process it works wonderfully. I still struggle a bit with creeping when at full draw but that too is getting much better. It would be great if I was a natural good shot with great control, but I have to deal with what I have, and this tool has been a God send to me. I recommend it highly, take some time to get used to it. The reprogramming process takes time but it is well worth it. Good luck!

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 06:50:18 AM »
Thanks for all of the positive comments!!

My goals has always been to help people who where struggling like me, so I'm glad to hear of the success stories.

Matt (and anyone else), I have helped dozens of people over the phone to walk them through a process to gain better shot control. Feel free to reach out to me here on TradGang or at my website (www.yourlifecyclegear.com) and I'm happy to help.

Keep the Traditional Spirit Alive!
Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©