3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the more I hunt.  (Read 465 times)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
the more I hunt.
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
It seems like the more I hunt, the more I want to hunt alone. Is it me or is this a common feeling. I feel like I can just go where I want and when I want. no making changes becuase someone else wants to do something else.    :archer:
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the more I hunt.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »
Yep and no one to mess you up.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
I enjoy being in the woods alone on the hunt, unless my son is with me of course. I wouldn't miss the campfire for anything! I love the anticipation of everyone coming in from the days hunt and hearing the stories and the blood trails! I love camp!   :campfire:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Just the opposite for me.  I used to do everything alone (by choice), but that's changed.  Shared experiences are typically richer and fuller.  It used to be all about tagging a trophy:  now the real treasure is friendship.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
For me it depends on the day.  I enjoy nothing more and nothing makes for a more rewarding outing just being with good friends.  But there is something to be said about taking a stroll through the woods alone just taking in all the natural beauty!!  I love to hunt so I will take it any way I can but I wont pass up an oppurtunity to hunt with good friends!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I like sharing camp, that is for sure.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
i love my hunting buddies, we all hunt alone but at the days end we can share stories and talk around the campfire. i think thats what makes a successful hunt in the end.
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
I learned to love hunting alone,I hunt so much, It A sense of freedom not having to rely on any one.  Now I dont go out of my to hunt alone it just the way it is,and the time when I do hunt with other's is just as nice..

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Other than taking my 5 year old grandson - I have no interest in others being there to break the harmony.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline BANNOCK-.PT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I think there is a time and a place for both. I can't remember who wrote this but I think it may have been john gierach. On the subject of either camping or fishing alone he said that he finds himself great company.
Live every day like it's your last and one day you'll be right!

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I like hunting with my friends and family way more than hunting alone.  However there are times when I just want to be alone and sort things out that is when I use hunting as the excuse to be alone  ;)
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
I dont know about anyone else but I like to sit back against a tree and do some seroius.....napping.  Thus I like to hunt alone so no one can tell me about that 10 point sniffing my face while I was snoozing.

Seriously though I like to hunt alone as well.  And seriously I like to sleep when I do it.  Its not about shooting the game right.  Just being out and being happy.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
I like hunting alone but sharing a camp at night.  It's hard to beat sharing a good camp fire and a hot meal with a hunting buddy talking about the hunts.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I have two reasons that I like to hunt alone...

1. I got tired of being the "Julie McCoy" cruiser director. Seemed to always be a pain trying to arrange everything, then when everyone gets together someone always forgot something and had to turn around and go back home and get it or someone was late. Or no one could make a commitment..."maybe I'll go" or they say they're going then a day or so before they change their mind, etc.  Now if I make arrangements I just say this is when I'm going, this is what I'm doing, if you want to go then fine but I'm not changing anything.

2. I have a saying..I don't hunt with "jerks" (actually a stronger word but this is a family site. Seems everyone I hunted with did not have the same morals and ethics...I'm a stickler in that area.

Reading this it sounds like I'm a jerk. That being said I'd probably be happy to share hunts with the folks on this site or any PBS member.

Sharing camps are always fun though.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
After the older hunting friends passed away,I've been hard pressed to find replacements that match the overall quality. And everytime I try to break the "hunting solo" routine by joining in groups I find myself dissappointed with the ethics of some of the members. So I end up back to the solo hunting.I'm not complaining-I'm enjoying myself.I usually bump into a fellow hunter to talk "shop" with sometime during the time frame I'm hunting.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
For me I started Solo, and learned how to hunt Solo. So it seems hard to fit with the few people I have hunted with, but I love sharing stories, and just going shooting with others.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I've been hunting alone since I was too young to hunt alone. In the past couple years, I like it when my daughter takes out her compound with me.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Cal Bergsma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I think that you are definetly going to be more successful in taking game if you hunt alone, but for me as time goes on I want to share the moments with someone close to me and it seems to add some thrill and excitement to a hunt when shared with someone else.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Well, I used to be that way (wanting to hunt alone), but now I really enjoy sharing the hunting experience with buddies or family.  Some of my best hunts have come with my father-in-law.  However, I truly understand the desire to do it alone.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
spoon, Todd says you hunt alone for oral...something or other.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©