3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Preparing fresh snakeskins ?  (Read 201 times)

Offline Lslite

• Trad Bowhunter
Preparing fresh snakeskins ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Whats the best way to preserve fresh rattler skins ? Got a good one last night and need one more to skin my bow.

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Preparing fresh snakeskins ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
split it down the center of the belly...stretch it out on a board with pins or nails every few inches and then salt it down good...once it's dry just rub the salt off and roll it up until you need it.
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Lslite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Didn't someone do a "how to" on skinning bows awhile back ? Have been looking back and can't find it in the build along forum.Anyone have a link ?

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Use a pair of scissors to cut along the belly of the snake.The scissors make it much easier to cut straight.  Take it easy around the neck and around the anal vent when you pull the skin down becase it can tear in those areas.  I stretch and tac down wtih thumbtacs then flesh with a spoon on the bigger snakes.  The smaller snakes like copperheads usually don't need it.  A big refrigerator box works great to tac down the bigger snakes and it is much easier to push the tac into heavy cardboard than wood.  Put the skin in a nice cool spot overnight so it dries out.  Here in Texas you may have to make your wife unhappy and put it in the house under a ceiling fan.  I do know that there is a front on its way so it could be cool enough this weekend.  Once it is dry and like paper....just undo the tacs and cut the strip of belly scales off with scissors that were used to tac and now you are ready to back some bow limbs.  Any questions Lslite....call me at 713-823-5600 I live in Sugar Land...
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »

Flesh it out with a spoon.
Allow to dry (away from bugs or dogs) for a day or two.
Roll it up and put in freezer.
I don't use salt.

Offline Lslite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks,the snakes have really been moving down here on the coast.I normally just relocate them myself,but a lady at work wore out a new shovel on this one last night.Someone else will probably get me another one in a week or so and I'll put em' to good use on my bow.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
I have 1 copperhead skin in the freezer,waiting on #2 to back my BBO.Shouldn't have a problem getting it before Summer.We usually get at least a few DB Rattlers and Copperheads every season,problem is getting a Copperhead big enough for a limb,and I really like the way the Copperheads look..........just beautiful.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
The Bowyer's Journal (Winter 2007)has a good article on skinning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©