3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stippling a grip - How I do it.  (Read 517 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Stippling a grip - How I do it.
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I've had several folks ask about stippling a riser and how it's done. I've always been hesitant to stipple someones elses riser just because once it's done...it's done.  I'm also concerned about voiding someone's warranty. Stippling your own riser is not very hard to do and I thought I'd share "my methods" so that some of you can give a try yourself.  

My good friend and I got the idea of stippling while at a shoot several years ago. We saw a gentleman shooting a Thunderhorn and loved both the look and feel of Duane's stippled grip. At that point my buddy gave it a try and I soon followed.  We've done several makes of recurves and longbows and I must caution you on bows that have a considerable amount of phenolic, it's tough on dremmel tools!

It's just a coincidence that the bow shown is a Thunderhorn that I bought and stippled myself.  Duane's workmanship on his bows and leathers is incredible. I just don't have any other photos available of bows I've done.

HERE'S HOW I DO IT:

To be honest it’s very easy to do and any small screw ups can be blended rather easy.  I first set the outter edge of the area to be stippled  with a pencil.  I than go back and cover the entire penciled edge with masking tape which I will stipple up to. I use a whole bunch of little ripped off pieces of tape so that I can go around edges easier.  You can be as fancy as you'd like. If your riser has a heavy accent stripe down the middle you may want to leave that and stipple up and down each side. This gives the riser a real nice look.    

That is the prep work on the riser.

You will need a dremmel tool with a small bit and a nice magnifier of some type, either glasses or the head mount system work fine.  A nice shop vacuum will also be helpful.  All can be purchased a Lowe's or Home Depot.

I take the riser and lay it on a padded bar stool under very good lighting. I hang the dremmel tool above the stool so the cords don’t get in the way.  I rig the vacuum hose right next to the riser so it continually draws all the dust and keeps the riser free of cuttings.  That’s my setup.

To get started you can either use a checkering tool to set the outline or very carefully set the edge using the dremmel tool.  I do just the edge first and move very slowly you can not afford to screw up on the edge.  I usually take a break after completing the edge. The edge dots should just touch each other.  

Now to the meat of the job. Pick a side and start stippling over the entire area within the tape. I run the dremmel tool at about 75% speed.  Too slow it will grab and too fast will leave you with a deep hole.  Some other folks that stipple like to keep each dot separate, I prefer to run the dots together basically removing all the finish and stippling the entire riser.  When complete you will have little shiny spots throughout the riser, go back and lightly touch with the dremmel tool.  

To complete I run a piece of steel wool over the completed area, making sure that no material from the steel wool is left on the riser.  I remove the tape and make sure that there are no pencil marks left, if so erase them. I than take Tru Oil and a soft tooth brush,  put a dab of tru oil on the riser with my finger and lightly brush in, do this on the entire stippled area and let dry.  I usually apply two coats.

Good Luck!

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stippling a grip - How I do it.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Very, Very Nice! I hate a grip that has any tendency to 'slide', even a tiny amount. I like a grip that's secure, even when my hand (or the grip) is wet. This should do that very well.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Nice!  Do you use a regular drill bit or one of the Dremel Tool Engraving Bits?  I just may muster up the courage to do one myself.  Thanks.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
wow that's kool

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Excellent job Tim!!!

Well stated on the how-to!  Easy to follow
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Looks real good!

I'm guessing you use a small ball end grinder bit like a dental bit?

Maybe you could show a picture of your bit?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Dave....your correct, I use the small ball end grinder that comes with most dremmel kits. The larger one is just a little too much.  Hope that helps Troy.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Very cool!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Another note....I have found that stippling a grip or adding a rubber slide on grip does change the way a bow reacts in hand.  I had a longbow that never clipped my arm with the string, however when I tried a rubber grip I got arm slap and when I stippled the grip I got some arm slap.  This may not be a problem with most folks but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.  

The stippling does have a great feel especially with gloves. Although I don't feel it's as "purty" as checkering or one of Bob Morrison's cool pinecones it does work extremely well.

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Thanks Tim!
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Mods,
can we move this somewhere in the how tos or build a longs?  This would be a good reference.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Heck yeah,when it runs it's course...we'll move it to the how-to's.....

Tim, Thanx so much bud....I may try one this week!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Hi Tim,

Don't want to sell that Thunderhorn back to me do you?...LOL  

I hope this finds You and yours all doing well.

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
You can also "hand stipple" grips, using a nail, with its tip ground to a diamond, or triangular shape. This nail is then applied to the wood with light hammer strikes. You can stipple from very light, to extremely deep.

Some of the gunsmithing books show this technique of finishing the grip areas of gunstocks.

A hand veining tool for checkering gunstocks will do the outlines of the "panels" quite quickly. Just remember to sharpen it, or your 'v' gouge well, before starting work.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Hey Jason....good to hear from you!  I completely refinished your bow and stippled the grip. It turned out beautiful and looks brand new!  I ended up selling it to a friend a short time ago, I just needed the takedown option.  I recently picked up a beautiful Shawnee Dakota so I've got the td and longbow option.

You should post a few photos of your bows on here, I'm sure some of the folks would love to see your bows!

Offline Cedarfeeder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I'd have a heart attack doing that.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Tim You got a pic of the drill bit you acutally use on the dremmel tool?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Here's a photo of the dremmel bit that I use.  The head is no larger than a copper BB.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Tim, been contemplating taking this plunge on one I have now.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Very cool Tim,,,I am going to have to try this on an older bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©