3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw length/ penetration/ energy  (Read 405 times)

Offline wiscotodd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length/ penetration/ energy
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
WOW! I AM IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT
TRADITIONAL BOWS
THIS STUFF IS VERY INTERESTING

Offline MG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Great information. That sure makes me want to stretch my draw with smoother, lighter pulling bows versus short draw with higher poundage. And stay with my heavy arrows in the process.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Don't overdo it with stretching your draw.  That can lead to all sorts of other shooting/accuracy problems. 10fps doesn't make much difference on deer size, or any other size animals.  Shoot a heavy arrow in a stance/style that you're comfortable with, and you'll do just fine.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
A simple way to see what you are looking for is in any of my bow review charts. I chrono the same weight arrows at 26, 27 and 28" showing the FPS and  draw weigh for each.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
One thing I learned many years ago, when I had a stretchy 29'' draw I lost draw when shooting uphill and down hill and there was nothing I could do about it since I was over drawing to get to 29''.  Make sure that you are maintaining your draw length when shooting out of a tree stand or you could get a surprise in trajectory and flight stability that could rob your penetration and accuracy.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
Good point Laddy. That is something many people don't think about when trying to "stretch" there draw length out (including me). Steve

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Larry, that's a HIGHLY valid point you make. I'm certain I could stretch out and get at least a couple more inches of draw length FROM A TARGET STANCE. I sure can't do that from some of the odd-ball shooting positions I routinely practice from. Hunting shots are USUALLY not from a 'range perfect' position.

I'm happy to stay with my slightly bent-arm relaxed form and it's shorter draw. That lets me 'stretch out' my bow arm a bit in those awkward angle shots to keep my same draw length. I'm very happy with my shorter draw and relaxed form. I just use a bit heavier draw weight with the best arrow setup I can come up with. No problems - no worries.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©