3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting on the ground - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly  (Read 3332 times)

pavan

Re: Hunting on the ground - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
On Iowa public land, there is a lot of territorial hogging that goes on.  We really need leave no trace policies to keep the childish land hogging under better control.  One former game warden once told me that I could not hunt with in 50 yards or up wind of a tree stand, because the owner of the tree stand claimed the spot first.  Some people hang many tree stands that they never use.  Some tree stands do not get taken down after deer season.  Any blind on state land, elevated or on the ground exist on a first come first serve basis. For years one game warden repeatedly told me that if I kicked someone out of my tree stand that he would prosecute me to the full extent of the law. I repeatedly told him that i have no tree stand and hunt on the seat that I carry in and out with me. When asked about how many bowhunters that he gave the warning to, he said, "so far just you".  I am the only trad shooter that knew about, so obviously, I was trouble.
   The best places to hunt busy state land is where no one can put up a tree stand.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »
I think I may have killed that sapling's identical twin. One thing for sure is that hunting from the ground will expose your bad hunting habits. But when you start seeing numerous deer at close range, you are beginning to get good. When you start killing a lot of them we will call you Bisch.
Sam

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »
All that stress = lack of focus and all. Here’s one thing I like to try to do, especially for evening hunts but I think in the car headlights isn’t a bad idea either. Do some judo shooting on the way to the blind. Or in the headlights. Stop and smell the woods, and get in the mood of nature and hunting. Basically get mentally in the zone. I believe GF ASBELL is an advocate of this, basically slowing yourself down and being a hunter and not rushing to your spot like everything else we do in life.

Hey, thanks, that's a good idea. Gotta start packing a couple of blunts whenever I go hunting.

You did well! I'd have a hard time seeing a buck, or even a doe on the game lands near me. The deer are there, but they are very, very good at staying alive in the never ending thickets on that place. One of the toughest places to hunt, probably ranks up there with wide open spaces.

Oh, yeah, thickets can be hell to hunt in, in any way you hunt them

I think I may have killed that sapling's identical twin. One thing for sure is that hunting from the ground will expose your bad hunting habits. But when you start seeing numerous deer at close range, you are beginning to get good. When you start killing a lot of them we will call you Bisch.

LOL  :biglaugh:

I'll get there!    :thumbsup:
Life is short, play hard

Online Skwerl58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
This is my first year of trad hunting with a recurve from the ground and I awill be 61 soon. I have had a 10 pointer bust me at 15 yards and a doe at 6 yards. I am in a blowdown that I have added camo screen to the rear. I have killed numerous deer from the ground with a firearm but this is a different class of hunting. The buck probably heard my heart beating and the doe saw me when we surprised each other. Great experience is what its about and in time I will arrow one!

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
I have killed numerous deer from the ground with a firearm but this is a different class of hunting. The buck probably heard my heart beating and the doe saw me when we surprised each other. Great experience is what its about and in time I will arrow one!

I know, right! My first year on the ground I was eyeball-to-eyeball with a decent sized 4 pointer at less than 12 yards. He knew something was up but couldn't quite dial it in. We stared at each other for at least 5 minutes, then he turned and began browsing for acorns. When I started to draw back he caught me in his peripheral vision and skedaddled. I thought I was gonna choke on my heart because it was in my throat!
Aim small,miss small

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
Great experience is what its about and in time I will arrow one!

Keep at it! Good luck  :thumbsup:

I thought I was gonna choke on my heart because it was in my throat!

Oh yeah! When you see them coming, slowly, and you hope they are going to pass close... and that they are not going to see you... Totally true, I felt like I was choking! The feeling is priceless. Maybe there's something wrong in how our neurons are connected  :biglaugh:
Life is short, play hard

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Better than any stress test a cardiologist can give you!
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 08:53:36 PM »
I am hunting from the ground for the first time in almost 30 years. My very 1st deer was killed from the ground using training wheels and I took to the trees after that. I recently built up a brush blind and, in the last week, have had 3 non- legal bucks walk past me at less than 8 feet. What an absolute rush! The buck yesterday actually was sniffing a bit of cedar used as cover and then lifted his head and looked right through me for a few seconds. Then he turned calmly and walked away. He was so close I could have held an arrow in my hand, reached out and touched him on the nose with my broadhead. I am loving this and loving the camo qualities of my Asbell anorak in evening stand brown. Hopefully a doe or legal buck will give me an opportunity soon.

You can fix stupid.......but it's gonna hurt!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
When I hunted coal company land leased to farmers in IN the spots that did the best were those no one else wanted to take the time or effort to get into, there was one swamp that I had all the low waters spots mapped out and a knee deep wading path marked into an island that was a real good spot.  @3/8 mile walk following flagging in the dark.  Not many guys hunt in waders.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
You are experiencing the best of hunting by getting close.

Now you may consider getting with a very competent trad archer for some guidance.

Traditional archery is neither a black art nor rocket science. A very competent archer may pick out the issues quickly and most likely the issues are basic. The most difficult tasks may be introducing and solidifying the new proper habits.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
AMEN!
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
You are experiencing the best of hunting by getting close.

Now you may consider getting with a very competent trad archer for some guidance.

Traditional archery is neither a black art nor rocket science. A very competent archer may pick out the issues quickly and most likely the issues are basic. The most difficult tasks may be introducing and solidifying the new proper habits.

That's great advice, thank you.
I've been shooting for below ten yards in these days, making sure my  body was aligned, paying attention to the form and to using the correct muscles.
I think it really was a lack of focus due to stress, it had happened before. I end up messing up on the horizontal line. You are right, the issue is on the basics.    I am re-introducing checkpoints in my form to make sure I stay consistent in any scenario. I will repeat till they become automatic.

I'll get  someone to watch me though, there's always room for improvement.  :thumbsup:    I have been practicing mostly by myself in the last few years, and with time new faults might be introduced.

Cheers
Max
Life is short, play hard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©