3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Effectiveness of lighted nocks?  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Effectiveness of lighted nocks?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
I have used them for many years.  I use them in conjunction with a string tracker and consider them just another part of my recovery system.  I have actually been blood trailing hogs and have seen them moving ahead of me.  Pretty valuable on hogs, bear and deer. 
Nocturnals in green are my favorites. 

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
How much do they affect arrow tune?

Negligible effect  in my experience 

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 08:43:04 PM »
I have been using Lumanocks for the last 4-5 years. It makes following the arrow flight sooo easy! I always know right where the arrow hit and it also makes the arrow easier to find on pass thrus or drop outs. My eyes aren't getting any better at 69 and these really work great. It always reminds me of shooting a laser. I shoot mine on aluminums. For me there is no change in arrow flight at all.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
I like the idea - and guys if you aren’t already using reflector caps you need to try em I love those things super easy finding arrows usually blood soaked along the trail - ordered 3 lighted nocks this morning:)
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 01:52:07 AM »
I really like the Clean Shot Nock Out, it's a one size fits all via the use of bushings. It also has a lock off feature for practicing with them.  I don't outfit every arrow with them, but I generally try to grab them first, anything helps with recovery, arrow and animal!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
I've used them for a few years now, and they work fine out of my 47lb Peregrine.  2 deer in particular were found quickly due to the lighted nocks. They were fairly steep angle shots that didn't have a passthru so no bloodtrail to follow.  I marked the last spot I saw them at and backed out til dark.  Both were found fairly quickly after that.  I love them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
Shot a small buck last evening with Gold Tip 500 and a green nocturnal lighted nock. I almost got a complete pass through... I thought I had missed (thought he jumped string sufficiently to cause a high miss). Couldn't see the lighted nock until it started getting darker... about 30 minutes after the shot. Then I noticed it up the trail he ran away on... the Simmons Tiger Shark had caught on a small sapling and pulled the arrow on through. I went straight to the arrow which was about 30 yards from where he had been standing when I shot. The blood trail was great... and I found him about 50 more yards away.

I absolutely love them, especially as I grow older and my eyes dim. I carry one arrow equipped with the nocturnal nock and put it on the string first in the early morning... or when the sun begins to set in the evening.

I haven't noticed any effect on arrow flight/spine.

They are also a blast to shoot in the yard in low light and you can detect flight problems easier while shooting them.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
Just started making some to try with nocks I like, just waiting on the battery’s but they look good so far.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:44:14 PM by wayne rollinson »

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »
I've used them a little, with mixed results.  The deer I shot last fall was during the daylight, and the lighted nock didn't help at all in determining shot placement.  The arrow passed through and buried under the snow, and the light didn't help me find it.  On another occasion, around dusk, the arrow burried under the leaf debris and the light didn't help me find it then either. 

The light can actually be a bit deceiving in determining shot placement.  From above, on a pass through, the hit can look higher than it actually is.  In low light conditions, I have had the nock indicate that my arrow hit brush and deflected.  Probably could have determined that without the light though. 

I use Nocturnals.  One thing I find disconcerting is that (because the light is turned on with a plunger in the nock activated by the string, usually at release) the nock sometimes lights up as I'm drawing the arrow.  This is distracting in low light situations. 

My nocks are red.  I think green shows up better.

I haven't noticed any difference in arrow tune.  There's only a 10-15 grain difference in weight between a lighted nock and standard nock. Doesn't make enough difference for me too notice.

Regardless, I don't think I'll be using them this year.   

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »
Lots of info on the midnight arrow thread....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 03:27:16 PM »
Occasionally, you'll lose one. but they make seeing where exactly you hit and finding your arrow a lot easier. They are cheaper to make. Go on youtube and see the video of how to make your own.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 04:17:06 AM »
I like lighted nocks for low light hunting. Here in Europe we have large wild boars ( sus scrofa) that are rather nocturnal animals. They are dangerous too and it is better to be sure of your shot before going for the recovery in thick stuff. In addition they are dark and not easy to see.  When shooting in very last legal light these nocks help to see the point of impact and to follow the run away path. It is easier to find the arrow as well.
Here is my Friday evening shot and early saturday morning recovery. Of a 200+ #
Wild boar. To have an idea of how big is that beast,  bow is 66" long and arrow in the long hooded GN quiver are 36" long

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:27:11 AM by hybridbow hunter »
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
Nocturnals on two occasions have given me fits...no more.

1st pack the nocks broke on the shot, and the second pick two of the three would light up just putting them on the string....

AND, nocturnals were originally recommended to me by someone in the know....who said they all suck.

NOW I hear great things about fire nocks...expensive but they actually work. Still waiting on them to arrive.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 11:39:26 AM »
I use them for hogs but not deer as I use wood arrows for deer hunting . I like the Idea that you can see an animal run off in the dark and know his path, makes it easier to find the blood trails .

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
In testing FIRENOCKS I found them to be pretty good. I ran into a few glitches, but overall pretty good high-end nocks.

I am currently testing BREADCRUMB nocks, another high-end, light-up nock. I will publish the test report on a Trad Gang thread as soon as I am finished testing. They were developed for the crazy speeds of compounds and x-bows. I am going to verify whether they are useful for lower speeds and heavier arrows used with traditional bows and hunting. so far, the built-in accelerometer seems to have a good range of sensitivity.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
Helped a friend find a deer once, very little blood on the arrow and not much blood trail.  I was sure he had made a bad shot and didn’t hit it where he thought he had. He used a lighted nock and was sure of the hit location because of the lighted nock.
I’ve tried them ( don remember the brand) and they were not very durable. Some only worked for a few shots, some would not always light up. I tried them because of my friends experience using them.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

GCook

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
Yeah Nocturnals were iffy for me.  I've been running Glory nocs for a while with better results.
I will try the "washing them before shutting them off" recommendation as that seems to be where I  lose them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:14:06 AM by GCook »

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
I sure thought about trying them when I went to Africa, just to have them show up on a video, but decided the price was a little steep for me.  I thought it better to invest the money is good broadheads instead.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
I sure thought about trying them when I went to Africa, just to have them show up on a video, but decided the price was a little steep for me.  I thought it better to invest the money is good broadheads instead.

I always thought that was mandatory....who would invest POORLY in the most important equipment??????

Very true...but when you have expensive broadheads, you want to make sure you can find them!
A pass-through in the area I hunt means a very long, diligent search for the arrow. Lots of high grass with matted down cover. Thinking lighted nocks might be a godsend in that situation.
Aim small,miss small

GCook

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
True but if I afford to go to Africa the half dozen, or even dozen, $8 each nocks will be just a drop in the bucket and I will gladly buy them.
But, I doubt I will ever get to go to the dark continent.  Not because I cannot afford to but because I keep investing money into land here in Texas. :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©