3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Effectiveness of lighted nocks?  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Effectiveness of lighted nocks?
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Over the past five years, most of my sightings of deer have been either pre-dawn or dusk/twilight. I've been considering switching to carbons (from woodies) for my broadhead arrows to utilize lighted nocks; not only for quick arrow location/recovery in case I miss (which never, ever happens :laughing:) but also for seeing where the hit is, and to be able to get an idea of where the deer, squirrel or rabbit is heading as they vanish in the darkness, and hopefully, a locator beacon once they're down. For those that have used them; are they as effective as the hype leads you to believe, and if so, which ones work the best? I've also seen some reference in the past that certain lighted nock colors are far more visible in a deep-woods situation, if so, which colors?
Someone, somewhere had also written a review about how certain nocks wouldn't trigger using lighter recurve bows compared to modern compounds, which I'm not buying...but any reports on this from the field?
Thanks.
Aim small,miss small

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Effectiveness of lighted nocks?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm really interested in the as well. My only concern would be how well they fit on a B50 string since it is a bit larger than a compound string.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
I'm really interested in the as well. My only concern would be how well they fit on a B50 string since it is a bit larger than a compound string.

Excellent point. Never even thought about that.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:13:00 PM »
I’ve got some carbons with lighted nocks for my compound.  I’m not seeing patients today, so I’ll grab  a couple and shoot them with my 50# recurve and see if they light up.

I’m sure they will be hella stiff since it’s for a 70# compound, but it’ll answer one question anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
I shoot nocturnal lighted nocks out of my longbow, the nock fit is a little loose but that can be remedied with some thread to build up the string, and they light up every time I shoot them. Some people have sort of smirked at me using them with otherwise traditional gear, but I don't see a problem as they only aid in deer recovery, they have no benefit towards actually making the shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
I got some that were on sale at 3 Rivers to try out roving.  They were fun to use, and definitely made it easier to see the arrow in flight and when searching for it in the grass and bushes, but they only were good for 30-40 shots before they broke.  The battery was good for a lot longer than that.  In fact, I forgot to turn one off one time, or maybe it got turned on accidentally as I was putting it away, and it was still burning the next morning.  Probably you wouldn't need to get 30-40 shots out of one hunting, but that make them too expensive for me to use roving.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »
I got some that were on sale at 3 Rivers to try out roving.  They were fun to use, and definitely made it easier to see the arrow in flight and when searching for it in the grass and bushes, but they only were good for 30-40 shots before they broke.  The battery was good for a lot longer than that.  In fact, I forgot to turn one off one time, or maybe it got turned on accidentally as I was putting it away, and it was still burning the next morning.  Probably you wouldn't need to get 30-40 shots out of one hunting, but that make them too expensive for me to use roving.

I can agree with that. However, most of my roving/stumping is done in broad daylight, which makes arrow recovery and shot placement much easier. Several years ago, I shot at a big doe and missed; I misjudged the distance and shot right under her low, actually trimming some belly hair off her in the process. It was about 5 minutes after sunset (hunting regs here allow hunting until 30 minutes after legal sunset) and I searched for that arrow for quite along time before my light found the white cap dip. I was thinking that a lighted nock would have taken me straight there, and would have clearly showed my miss (I wasn't sure if I'd hit her or not).
Aim small,miss small

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
I have been using nocturnal and they are very bright but for my skinny string I just needed to put gentle heat on the prong of the nock and bend it in for a good fit, sounds harsh but it is simple to do, I am shooting a 50# longbow. I have just made a set with the nocks I like and just awaiting the bobber battery's to try my own version but with the led in the nock and a watch battery it is very bright so i think they will work out great,regards wayne
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:24:08 PM by wayne rollinson »

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
I use them and no trouble on my string. I shoot gold trip traditionals. They help tremendously in arrow recovery and seeing where you hit.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
They help tremendously in arrow recovery and seeing where you hit.

That was my reasoning...thank you for the testimonial! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Aim small,miss small

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 02:02:13 PM »
As far as recovery goes, what if you get a pass through?
That's not all that uncommon and then your still in the same situation having to trail the game anyway.
I can see how they would be neat to watch them in flight, but after that, it's just a novelty and a gimmick.
But that's just my thoughts about it and I wouldn't think anything wrong about someone using them.
I'll stick with my string tracker. The batteries don't go dead.
I will add that I have heard good things about Lumenok
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
what i really like from them is you see exactly where you hit, even if you get a pass through, sometimes in certain light I couldn't see my arrow flight, even less so when I try and find my arrow in grass or leaf litter with the lighted nock it is a lot easier. for me I like them

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
As far as recovery goes, what if you get a pass through?
That's not all that uncommon and then your still in the same situation having to trail the game anyway.
I can see how they would be neat to watch them in flight, but after that, it's just a novelty and a gimmick.
But that's just my thoughts about it and I wouldn't think anything wrong about someone using them.
I'll stick with my string tracker. The batteries don't go dead.
I will add that I have heard good things about Lumenok
In a pass-thru situation, you would at least know you had a solid hit and where, and also you would have little trouble finding the arrow in dense brush.
I love the idea of a string tracker for sure, but as I read the regs, they are not legal where I hunt. Stupid, but true.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
I use Nockturnals in my shafts. Works fine.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
After 30 or so shots, I’m about 60/40 on lighting vs not using Spot Nocks

GCook

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
I shoot a couple of brands. I like them.  I've used them with the bows that must not be named as well as my trad bows.  I personally like them.  I tad expensive and they aren't necessarily 100% reusable as I've had a few that were one and done.  But like one early morning last season I was sitting in a tripod and bleated at a passing doe, shot her through a basketball sized hole in the tree branches I had trimmed out.  She ran about 80 yards.  I could see the nock barely sticking out of the near side.  I saw it stop and do a little circle then disappear.  Even though I couldn't really see the deer through the brush I knew she was down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 05:05:30 PM »
They are definitely worth it for hunting.  Cabela's had the 3-pack Nockturnals on sale before season for around $11-12. I had the blue Nockturnals my first trad season, and went with green ever since.  I will only use them on targets if I shoot once before the hunt.  I've used the same one on three different deer.  Wash them out before turning them off as soon as you can and there won't be any problem. It doesn't take much pressure to set them off either. Put a little floss on your nock point if they wiggle.

Green will be the brightest.  Red is the hardest to see.  I played in a night golf tourney a while back and those red balls could be 50yds from you on the fairway and still hard to see.  Green stuck out well over 100yds.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
I use them occaionally.  For hogs I usually have bad luck regarding finding the hog from the nock.  They usually break the nock running through brush or fallilng on that side. 

I shot a doe last night, and the nice part about using them at dusk is how quickly you can find your arrow and assess what type of blood you have. Honestly the arrow passed through so fast, that I couldn't be 100% sure on where the hit was.  It is easier to tell when you don't pass through.

I enjoy bare shafting or target shooting with them, actually.  Really helpful to check for erratic arrow flight.  I have tried a few types, but really like the green nockturnal nocks.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:14:48 PM by pdk25 »

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
I use them occaionally.  For hogs I usually have bad luck regarding finding the hog from the nock.  They usually break the nock running through brush or fallilng on that side. 

I shot a doe last night, and the nice part about using them at dusk is how quickly you can find your arrow and assess what type of blood you have. Honestly the arrow passed through so fast, that I couldn't be 100% sure on where the hit was.  It is easier to tell when you don't pass through.

I enjoy bare shafting or target shooting with them, actually.  Really helpful to check for erratic arrow flight.  I have tried a few types, but really like the green nockturnal nocks.

That’s my combo.  BE Instinct in green/yellow with a green nock

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »
How much do they affect arrow tune?
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©