3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who else pulls the string to where it is touching your chest?  (Read 2016 times)

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Who else pulls the string to where it is touching your chest?
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
I've always had the string close to my shirt on the bow arm side when at full draw. And can hit a shirt pocket or the armpit of a baggy sweatshirt sometimes. For the last year or so the string is really close. I'm shooting great. Just don't like the string so close. I have to be aware of clothing.
I read where some guys pull the string into their chest on purpose'
I can't figure out if it's the bow type I have been using for the last year or so, (60"DFRF longbow) or just the way I shoot.
Anyone else have that concern? How different is the string angle on a similar length recurve? I only have one recurve in the stable at the moment and that seems less close to the vest.
I have a 58" Kodiak Mag that is my daughter's that doesn't touch me at all but that's too short of a bow for me.
Tedd

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who else pulls the string to where it is touching your chest?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »
You need to anchor properly. Not over draw as you’ll never achieve proper back tension to aid release. That being said, anything you repeat exact can yield consistency. Sounds like you already are experiencing probs. Why enhance that???
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »
Not having any problems. Just wondering it anyone else has the string touching their chest. I lift several times per week so maybe my chest is bigger than it used to be? Been shooting a bare bow since about 8 yrs or so. So 44 years. No problem w anchoring.

Offline maxpetros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »
I've experienced a similar issue and found opening my stance by taking my front foot back off the centerline helped a lot. Doesnt need to be much but if you look down at your feet, your toes on your left foot (if you're a righty) should be even with the arch of your right foot

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Offline Ronnie Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
Little bit big chested myself so I can't wear baggy shirts nor have shirt pockets when shooting either so yes I guess I pull to my chest. A pocket will screw up my shooting every time...

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

PBS associate

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 10:33:42 PM »
Idk guys I’ve lifted weights all my life. As a younger man I powerlifted. I still work out every day yet my string isn’t right at it. You still don’t want to overdraw if that’s what we’re referring to. Post a pic of youself at full draw like that
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
I do this. And I'm not big chested. It's a product of my lower back arching as I draw. I probably wouldn't see the same thing with a lighter bow. I get good bone on bone alignment, and a good shot, but I'm digging deep into my back to hold at full draw and it forces my chest up.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »
I can rotate around and get it away but it seems like at a loss of alignment and stability. And then some flyers going left start to creep in. (right handed shooter).
I was trying to figure out if the string angle on a recurve vs a longbow is any different in this regard.
Tedd

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 08:36:59 AM »
Here is photo of G fred. His string is on his pocket. But it looks like it comes away from his body, where mine tends to "scrape" the pocket.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/521362094336215315/?nic=1a

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 08:38:32 AM »
In one of the Masters of the Bare Bow vídeos there is a short segment, I believe on the benefits of using blank bale to experiment with new techniques, where someone, I believe it was Denny Sturgis Jr, converted to shooting with the string pulling into the side of his chest.  I believe it could be a very effective way to shoot, as the alignment is much better than a more open stance, provided you have enough range of motion to swivel your neck around far enough to aim the bow.  Well endowed women tend to use this method as well, for obvious reasons.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »
Some of the same issues.  Until it gets really cold andnInhave to bundle up, I keep my clothes in check because my bino harness does just enough to keep things out of the way.  I find that using an open stance is not as stable for me, and don't use that unless absolutely necessary.

Offline Ronnie Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »
" Here is a photo of G fred". My chest isn't quite that big!  Love all those pics that came up with that...

PBS associate

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
McDave,
I knew I saw that somewhere but I couldn't recall where. Those photos online of G Fred make me want to order a new Black Widow...which may be what I'm really asking. Should I buy a new bow just to see where if the string touches? Been wanting one of those PTFs.
Tedd

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
I would imagine there would be less clearance problems with a shorter bow.  Where a longer bow might touch the side of your chest, a short bow might not.  The same thing happens with a hat.  A long bow string might push against the brim while a short bow might not.  After shooting my 64” target bow for a long time, I thought I had life all figured out: all I had to do was to draw the bow until I could see string blur and feel the string pressing the bone under my eyebrow.  The string of a 60” bow doesn't come close to touching my eyebrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
Not having any problems. Just wondering it anyone else has the string touching their chest. I lift several times per week so maybe my chest is bigger than it used to be? Been shooting a bare bow since about 8 yrs or so. So 44 years. No problem w anchoring.

Yes,  Especially with heavy clothing on.  That's one reason I have loved hunting from my saddle.  It allow me to lean more into the shot providing much more clearance for clothing and always allows me to bend at the waste. 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »
I have a 58" Kodiak Mag that is my daughter's that doesn't touch me at all but that's too short of a bow for me.
Kodiak Mags are all 52" AMO. Just sayin'...
I've had loos or floppy clothing (like pocket flaps, etc) brush the string every so often, but not on a regular basis. I'd like to see a photo or vid of you at full draw that would show exactly what you are experiencing. Where is your bow arm in relationship to your stance?
Aim small,miss small

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
I must get close sometimes without realising. I came home from work the other day and shot my bow. The string caught the top of a pen lid in my shirt pocket.

Offline Ronnie Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
I must get close sometimes without realising. I came home from work the other day and shot my bow. The string caught the top of a pen lid in my shirt pocket.

looks like it WAS a nice shirt...

PBS associate

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »
Having a big(er) chest might exacerbate the problem of string contact, but it doesn't cause it. Any of three things can cause the string to hit one's chest at full draw -- A long draw/anchor point far back along side the face, a long(er) bow, and a closed stance.  Can reduce string contact by finding an anchor point closer to the front of your face, using a shorter bow and/or opening your stance a bit, as has already been mentioned. 

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 08:48:11 AM »
Yes Kirk, 52"!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©