3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To grunt or not to grunt?  (Read 1940 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
To grunt or not to grunt?
« on: October 27, 2019, 02:26:59 PM »
For years I have had mixed results with grunting for whitetails.
But for the past 8 years I have been hunting thick cover and every time I use a grunt, I don't see any deer at all the entire sit.
I came across an article on the very situation and it makes sense to me now.
When you grunt in heavy cover, a deer will circle you down wind.
Ah ha; so I haven't grunted for the past couple years and I'm seeing deer.
Now I don know if it's the same with rattling but I have never seen a deer when using a can bleet either.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:27:08 PM by Pine »
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To grunt or not to grint?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
I’m a dif kind of guy, I can’t even imagine grunting blindly. I use grunts primarily on walking stage deer and it works like a charm no matter the cover type
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
My experience with grunting or rattling, bucks always circle down wind of me unless they are so rutted up that they don't care. I rarely blindly call. I like seeing a bucks reaction to my calling, tells me whether or not to keep calling or change up my calling methods like getting more aggressive.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
I always carry a grunt call with me when I hunt. I've called deer in with a grunt, had them stop and look and had them ignore it all together. Never had a grunt call spook a deer.
 Deer depend on the wind especially if they hear or see something that they can't identify. The wind very rarely fails them. I've never had luck rattling but I know plenty of folks who have.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
I've had good luck with rattling and grunting. Had the best luck when I can see them. Yesterday I had a forky about 150 yards out chasing and harassing a couple does that weren't interested yet. I could hear him grunting so I dug out my grunt tube and a half  dozen grunts and he came in on a string to 15 yards. He is not what I'm after but he presented a perfect shot. Two years ago I grunted and rattled in 6-8 bucks a very good year. I have had them come in blind calling but have better luck if I can see them. Once you get them coming it's like turkeys don't over call.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To grunt or not to grunt?
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
Well, my son schooled me on this before my hunt this year.
He said, "Dad, if you don't grunt or use a bleat call (can), you're just sitting behind a tree (ground blind) waiting for a deer to just mosey on by."
I bought a bleat can and used my grunt call.
Didn't help, but what he said made a bit of sense.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 01:08:54 AM »
You are exactly right. They do circle downwind and because it's heavy cover, you never see them.

When I did more calling and less still-hunting, I always rattled or grunted in connection with a funnel and hunted directly 10 yards upwind of the travel corridor in a tree stand and used a scent. I cannot tell you how many bucks I have had underneath my stand. My theory is that the wind carried my scent above them because I was so close, and my scent rag brought them underneath my stand.

Back in Indiana, my favorite setup for calling was this 5 year old abandoned field with a grown up fence row and adjacent to a picked bean field. Rattle when the wind blows into picked field with tree stand in tree line of fence row. The bucks will hug the tree line as they circle downwind and shots will be close, and you will see some big deer.

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 01:10:52 AM »

The quick fix though for heavy cover requires team work. You need two guys. One calling upwind of the funnel, and the other guy set up downwind of it. 75% of the shots will be from the downwind side, so y'all take turns. Dynamite setup.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »
Talked with a professional coyote hunter and call maker a couple years ago and he told me he calls with the wind at his back. This amazed me but he said 99% of the time they are going to go downwind so you had better be ready and able to shoot them before they hit your stream. I rattled in a buck and shot him at 5 yards off the ground but I had scent out 5 yards to each side of me and he came in neck stretched out to the scent. Last year I had a awesome buck come in to a grunt but the only shot I had was straight downwind. Color him gone. I am not a big scent user but calling is when it may help. When I watch my birddog spin on a dime for a few ounces of woodcock when the wind is right for her sure gives me an appreciation for these animal's noses.

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 02:58:37 AM »
Oh man, I thought about you yesterday evening. I was in the woods in thick hemlock/spruce cover, atop a large flat edged on one side by a loong, steep bluff dropping to a streambed, with the wind blowing my scent off the bluff. Deer sign everywhere. Here's what I came up with for a grunting setup:

The bluff is an impassible barrier, right? (It's almost completely vertical).

Set up tree stand on edge of bluff and hunt it in a prevailing wind blowing your scent off the edge into the stream valley below.

Grunt as much as you want. Any buck checking out the bedding area upwind of you cannot circle downwind of you unless they grow wings and fly! 

They'll likely try, and just end up walking the contour of the bluff straight in to your stand from either the left or right. 

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 08:48:50 AM »
Grunting and bleating are a significant part of my hunting strategy.

Hunting exclusively from the ground, my field of view of view is most often quite restricted and limited.
Therefore, blind calling is typically the norm. My deer encounters would be greatly reduced without blind calling.

This season, thus far

Have called in 22 bucks within my effective traditional bow range -16 from blind calling

Note: Stump73 was in a blind with me one hunt last weekend as I blind called-in 4 different bucks

Have called in a higher unaccounted number of does.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:24:28 AM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
In over 50 years of hunting deer I've had zero luck using calls of any kind.  I have watched bucks turn tail and leave the area though.  I rely solely on knowing the movement patterns.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

GCook

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
Grunting, rattling and bleating can all be very effective in the right situations. 
Pressured deer do respond or react differently during hunting season. 
I have used calls to see how they respond outside of season as well. A good time to learn what does and doesn't work for deer where you hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »
I've rarely had success with calls, and it may very well be the fault of the caller. But I did have one come in this year.

Was hunting on the ground on the edge of some heavy cover. I used the grunt call but also kicked up some leaves and made some noise, and I think that was a key thing. A couple seconds later I heard him trotting through the thicket and in he came, ready for a fight. He was a nice sized buck, thrashing the weeds as he made his way in. He came in to about six yards but the weed cover did not allow a shot.

As he walked into an opening I did an "erp" call to get him to stop, but I guess I did it too loud and instead of stopping he took a jump. There was a trio of does a ways behind me and when he saw them he walked their way and no amount of calling was going to distract him from the ladies.

But he walked through my scent stream and just didn't seem to care. I've noticed that with suburban bucks, they are much more tolerant of human scent when they are in full-blown rut.
Joe

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
Years ago I regularly called in bucks with rattling. Now days almost never. Let me rephrase that NEVER now days. But it stands to reason if I'm hunting close to anyone in the last few years I get to hear the most incredible buck fights I've only heard on TV! lol

But I've had a lot of luck grunting and doe bleating. All with my mouth but hardly ever just blind calling. Would never want to rely of a call I had to use one or two hands with. I can't say how many times I've heard deer chasing off out of sight grunting chasing etc. A few mouth calls and they quite often end up under my stand. I think, JHMO, that a doe being chased and hears a grunt call comes running from instinct to make sure the best buck is involved. I don't know but i will say I've had incredible luck calling the doe by my stand being chased by bucks just using my mouth grunt calling. Your mileage may vary.

Blind calling I hardly ever do anymore unless I'm just bored and not seeing even a squirrel. I never expect a response and am rarely disappointed. But I've never spooked a deer either.   lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:53:24 PM by LC »
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »
Grunting in thick cover is not very productive, I rarely hunt where I can see deer at distance.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
I think as already said a lot depends on where your hunting, when I hunted Unpressured  deer I killed a couple mouth grunting them in to bowrange after already seeing them, but I really havent had much luck in areas that are hunted heavily, I have a buddy that swears he soft grunts with does to calm them as a social grunt , I’ve tried that but only had them leave the area.
  I only hunt public land some pretty pressured , and am sure private land with limited pressure would have a different result
   I’ve gotten where I just don’t use a grunt call anymore and rarely mouth grunt unless I think he’s leaving with no shot then I don’t have much to lose,
    The point about thick cover makes perfect sense
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »
Filmed for my brother-in-law this morning. He had positive response calling from multiple bucks, but not one he was looking for. This was in open hardwoods with the deer already in sight. The larger mature buck we saw did circle downwind, but those younger ones came high stepping in there to see what was up!
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Some things in your area to consider when rattling and grunting.

Buck to doe ratio.
Hunting pressure.
Phase of the rut.
Treestand/ground blind and thermals.

Treestand hunting in the morning is one of my favorite times to call. The rising thermals can give you the advantage on a circling buck.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »
I can't even begin to count the number of bucks I've grunted in blind.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©