3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To grunt or not to grunt?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To grunt or not to grunt?
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 06:04:17 AM »
My son and I have had a great year with close encounters on big bucks. A huge part of that has been grunting. Both of us agree that we never heard bucks as vocal as we have this year. He had one encounter with 2 mature bucks that he compared to calling turkeys.....they would grunt, he would grunt, they would answer.

My take is this;if they are rutty, a grunt call can make all kinds of crazy stuff happen. If they aren't a blind grunt every once in awhile can certainly get the attention of a buck in the area. A buck off in the distance? Give it a shot, it works quite a bit.

One of my favorite uses of a grunt call.....everyone talks about big bucks "going nocturnal". That's debatable but I do agree that a mature buck is first in last out of a bedding area. Using my Lone Wolf, I hunt closer to thick bedding areas than most folks. I have used a grunt call successfully to get a buck to just stand up....a buck I had no idea was there. Interesting when bow hunting, deadly when gun hunting.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©