3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Scents,,,what are you using??  (Read 2031 times)

huntryx

Re: Deer Scents,,,what are you using??
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »
Lethal weapon, the gel is better than the liquid, lasts longer and has other glandular stuff in it. Be careful though! If you get it on you it will stink forever!

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 09:35:13 AM »
Used them as a "kid" as I thought I needed some such, but haven't messed with them in over 20 years.  See and kill more deer than ever so not likely to delve into it again.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
Back in the '80s I used fox pee I got from a friend in the GA G&F. I had deer and foxes follow my trail into my stand on quite a few occasions. Other than that I never had luck with attractants. I have used scent eliminators but could never tell if they worked or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 11:22:19 AM »
I once observed a buck breeding a doe  it was during the gun season and someone in our party killed the buck and the doe I dressed the doe and the bladder was full I figured oooboy I got the real stuff here, I went home got a clean quart jar and carefully poured the urine in . Then I poured it on the trails and on my blind for bowhunting, bucks came by and never paid any attention to it . I figured it must be more than just the urine and really, deer pee everywhere .
  When I was young I used to buy Bucks Buck Scent it came in a small brown bottle was some kind of a glandular scent very strong smell kind of a thick mixture . It cost a dollar at the time. I used to put it on the soles of my boots before I walked to my stand ,deer were really attracted to it. I once had a 5x5 come down the trail with his nose to the ground I had dabbed a stick in the bottle and dropped it under my stand he stopped to smell it and my arrow went through him.
   I quit using it when I had a bottle in my pants pocket  Carol washed and dried my pants and the lid came off in the drier. I heard her gagging in the laundry room when she opened the drier door, I had to get in there and clean it out. I also had a bottle of coyote urine on the dash of my truck that froze and broke and ran down my defrosters that was worse .
  Some lures work some don't the gland scents seem to work the best. I don't believe any of the deer urine scents are worth buying . I also don't think the spray that is used on clothes stops human odor.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »
Baking soda works to "minimize" scent as well as anything and is more affordable.  Elimination is next to impossible.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member