3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dang ticks!  (Read 3802 times)

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
Dang ticks!
« on: November 02, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
I live in Western Pennsylvania, a hot spot for ticks and lymes disease. I used to hunt traditional (and non-traditional) with a group of guys until about seven years ago. Most of us quit hunting because the ticks got so bad around here. Granted, older kids and their sports were part of the reason, but the ticks became unbearable.

Cutting the grass, get a tick. The kid across the street and my son were playing out in the yard, she came in with 5 ticks, he had 2. I like to wear wool, but it seems to be a tick magnet.

This year I couldn't stand being out of the fall woods anymore. Broke out the bow and started shooting again. Even sold a couple guns to buy a new Super Kodiak. Tuesday was gorgeous here, perfect fall day. Had a couple hours to spare h, so took the opportunity to hunt a creek bed near my house. It was so nice to smell the fall woods, see the vibrant colors, feel the woods under my feet again! Didn't see anything, but to be honest I was too distracted by the beauty of the woods to even think about hunting!

Well, I got back and later that night went to the bathroom. Yep, had a tick in the worst possible place! A trip to the doctors and a dose of antibiotics, grrr!

I think I'm going to wait till late season to go out again.

My kid graduates HS in 7 years, when he does I think I'm heading west or somewhere that doesn't have as much of a tick population as western PA!

How do you guys hunt in a tick infested area?

Joe

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dang ticks!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
I'll add that I live in a suburban area over run with deer. The other day I had to shoo some deer away from my practice target before I could shoot.
Joe

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
Permethrin......

You need to buy some permethrin and treat all your cloth and boots.
It really works and kills ticks on contact darn near.

SW Pa here also..

Irwin

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
Permethrin and Possums.
One repels them and the other eats tick eggs.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
I've picked 3 off of my dog this past week. I live in northern Michigan.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Go with the permethrin. One tick in last two years.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
Never heard of permethelin, but I'm trying it
Joe

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
Comes in a spray, sold at places like Academy, even out Meijer store has a Repel brand. Tractor supply sells the concentrate, plenty of info on the web about how to dilute...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 03:58:35 PM »
Where I grew up in Indiana, it was nothing to come in the house with 40 ticks on you. I have literally sat underneath an oak tree and within an hour realized I was so covered that I had to go down to the creek and strip down and wash. There are places out there you just DONT GO to between April and October. Spoil banks seem to be the worst.

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
And don't get me started on the mosquitos. My god. They'll carry you off. There's nothing like it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
Listen to Roy. We have about as many ticks in Georgia as anybody, but this stuff is effective. I do not go afield without Permethrin. It does not repel ticks, it kills them. It is applied to your clothes instead of your skin. It is the only thing I have found that is really effective. I just wish I had found Permethrin before the Alpha Gal and the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Sam

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 04:31:48 PM »
Yup, Tractor Supply sells it and it needs diluted with water.

It's back where the horse supplies are.

Get a plastic spray bottle and mix some up then spray all your hunting cloths and boots. Spray it outside and let your stuff dry.

It lasts a good while, like a few washings, then just spray again.

It kills ticks in seconds....

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
It also comes in aerosol cans at a good strength to treat your clothes. It is very convenient, and I keep a couple of cans in my truck at all times.
Sam

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »
My doc got tired of seeing me for ticks and gave me a prescription of doxycycline to have on hand so I wouldn't have to come in....worth asking yours.  If you use the concentrate and I do mix my own, note that the livestock stuff is not as dilute as the Sawyers type ready mixes.  I'd review your chemistry before "rolling your own"..."parts is parts"
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Just ordered some off Amazon. Can't believe I've never heard of this stuff. You guys may have saved my hunting season!
Joe

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 07:24:32 PM »
I don't live in an area that has a lot of ticks (unless you count the liberals, but at least they don't cause Lyme disease, as far as I know).  But for those of you who do live in areas with lots of ticks, how much of it is a real problem, and how much of it is just a nuisance?  In other words, if you do the things you should, like using permethrin, can you hunt worry free, or is there still a significant chance that you're going to catch a tick borne disease?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
Well to me, it was a nuisance. In the 20 years I spent growing up in Indiana tromping the woods, I was literally bit thousands of times (20 summers worth). I never got lime disease, and never heard of anyone getting it either.  We did get warned about it, but we didn't pay any attention. What are we supposed to do? Lol. Stay out of the woods?

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
Permethrin treated clothing is the best I've found. REI and other outdoor supply stores sell clothing that is factory treated with it.Ticks are a nuisance until you get Lyme, Rocky Mtn. spotted fever or one of the other diseases carried by the little arachnids.
I mix up the solution according to directions in a bucket and immerse my clothing then hang it to dry using latex gloves.

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
North Central PA., Lots of ticks here too and 8 years ago we had virtually none. I think the milder Winters are to blame here. Hasn't been too bad in the woods lately but cross a meadow or field with grass n yer pulling em for sure. Permethrin works
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
I mix up the solution according to directions in a bucket and immerse my clothing then hang it to dry using latex gloves.

Great idea...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©